Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2003, 11:10 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

The lean...

I have another one of those questions that will show my ignorance but here it goes. Yesterday while deciding what our next endeavor would be the first thing we noticed is a considerable lean to the trailer. I have always noticed a slight lean but it seems to have just dropped all of a sudden. This lean is to the street side and is VERY noticeable now.
I have read some of the threads here and have noticed many are speaking of a slight leans of only approx. an inch or so. Has anyone suddenly had a slight lean that has progressed into a BIG lean it seems all of sudden? At first we thought maybe it was just how we had it parked but I don't think so. We haven't moved the trailer (unfortunately) in about three weeks and I know it wasn't that low then. We checked the frame for cracks and / or breaks and found what looks to be a slight crack starting. What should I really be looking for / at?

Help and suggestions here are greatly appreciated.

Beth
SCBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 11:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
axles

On the Inland RV site there is information on how to check your axles. You can also do a search on this site for the crack in the frame and bad axles. Lots of info on how to determin if you hvae the problem.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 07:21 AM   #3
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Beth,

On a level surface, what is the height from the frame to the ground in the front and the back on each side? Measure from where the frame leaves the body of the coach. What is the difference from side to side?

Simple stuff first. Tire pressure the same from side to side? Lug nuts tight?

Is the "lean" constant from front to back? If so you might jack up the street side till the tire is off the ground and see if the axle spring is working.

Where is the crack on the frame? Is any sheet AL bending or buckling along the side of the trailer?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 11-24-2003, 08:03 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Action,

Thank you for the response. There is approx. a 3 - 4 inch difference between the streetside and curbside. We did however check the tires with hopes that they were just going flat however, we found no difference there. The lean is not exactly constant down the whole side. It was noticed that the further you go back on the trailer, the lower it seems to go. This is where we are measuring approx. 4inches difference from the curbside. I haven't noticed any buckling in the aluminum but, I believe we have some frame seperation going on. The crack is just behind the back axle and is only about 1-1/2 inches long. We haven't had an opportunity to jack the side up yet to completely check the axles yet.

Thank you for all of your help.

Beth
Old 11-24-2003, 10:07 AM   #5
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Beth,

A 1988 Excella is not very old. I would think it's a little soon for frame cracks however ....

You will need 2 jacks for this exercise.

Block the wheels on the opposite side from the suspected frame both front and rear of the wheels so the trailer does not roll. Loosen (do not remove) the lug nuts for wheel of the axle that is low. Jack up the trailer in front of the suspected frame crack (on the side that has the crack) so the wheel just clears the ground.

With the second jack lift up the frame behind the crack. Do not put a great amount of pressure. All that you are looking for is movement in the crack (does it get wider or narrower) when the 2nd jack is used. If so you have a frame crack that needs attention before towing. If not ....

Remove the wheel in the air, compare the axle end to the Indland web site. Or Do not move the wheel and pry up on botttom side of the tire and see if there is resistance. If not the rubber spring is shot.

>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 11-24-2003, 11:11 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Action,

Thank you so much for your help. I figured the next step in the process would be to jack up the trailer and see what was going on with the axles. Thank you for the info on what I should be aware of, that makes this task a bit easier / comforting to know what I should be looking for or at. Hopefully it is not going to be something too awful.

Thank you again