Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2004, 08:08 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Sorry. Another axle question

I have searched the forum for the answer but has unable to find it. The position of the axle looks fine pointing down with a load. Trailer seems to tow fine, but over the weekend I was doing some repairs and noticed that the axle bar itself has a bend upward in the center. I didn't check to see how much of a curve the axle has from side to side and if needed I can post a photo in a day to two. My question is........ Should the axle have a arch in it or over the years did someone bottom out the axle and bend it? If bent , should it be replaced or left alone? I thought maybe it's normal to have this arch because the axle doesn't appear to be bent backward like I would expect if it was struck by something.

whistler
whistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 08:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I'm sure you'll get other more techical responses, but that bend in the axle is normal - its supposed to be there.

Ken
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 09:03 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Thanks,

I thought it looked normal, but wanted to be sure. All photos I've come across don't really show it from the angle to tell if it was normal to not.

whistler
whistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 09:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Whistler.

Go to:

http://www.inlandrv.com/tours/axle-plant/

Click on "completion."

Look at the three photo's. That is how the bend is put in the axle.

Sorry, for some reason, a direct "to" address doesn't want to work.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 08:00 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistler
I have searched the forum for the answer but has unable to find it. The position of the axle looks fine pointing down with a load. Trailer seems to tow fine, but over the weekend I was doing some repairs and noticed that the axle bar itself has a bend upward in the center. I didn't check to see how much of a curve the axle has from side to side and if needed I can post a photo in a day to two. My question is........ Should the axle have a arch in it or over the years did someone bottom out the axle and bend it? If bent , should it be replaced or left alone? I thought maybe it's normal to have this arch because the axle doesn't appear to be bent backward like I would expect if it was struck by something.

whistler
I just had my axle replaces this week. I asked the person performing the service about the bend in the axle and they advised me that it is normal.
dkekrksk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 09:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
The bend in a Henschen axle, shows that it was "aligned."

Most any axle has some sort of bend, indicating alignment.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 10:33 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
Question for Inland Andy

Andy,
I just took your Henschen plant tour and interesting process. One thing that I noticed was the diagram showing the torsion arm/spindle assembly position relative to the frame in no load, normal load and overload conditions. It would seem from the diagram that a Henschen axle torsion arm/spindle assembly, under normal load should be about parallel to the ground as well as the frame. Does that seem correct? On my '02 19' Bambi, which has a gross weight of 4500, A/S used a 4300lb Henschen axle (the 500+lb hitch weight offsetting the apparent overload). Under typical conditions on my rig, the torsion arms are indeed parallel to the ground and the frame. I had been a bit concerned that A/S should have installed a 5000lb axle and had considered doing such on my own, but after seeing the diagram, it would seem that mine is running just about right. Any thoughts

david
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote