Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2020, 01:24 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
2022 Interstate 24GT
St. Petersburg , Florida
Shallow Departure Angle Mitigation - Lift kit?

With apologies; I was thinking again...this time about the relatively shallow departure angle on our 30' International. I looked up threads regarding modifications to existing skid plates; i.e., adding casters, or rollers or receiver hitch skid plate mods, but that was primarily a discussion from AS Interstate owners.

While we have the additional channel just forward of the rear bumper, has anyone made any mods to give greater protection? Not sure point-loading the frame rails using casters is a good idea...better to avoid a clearance issue all together. I was also wondering if the installation of a lift kit would gain much in departure angle to be worth it unless you wanted the lift kit for more than just additional clearance on the stern.

In any case, I'm interested in any opinions to address this...or not.

Thanks
Salvagediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:39 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Chapin , South Carolina
I would start with the Dexter Axle Lift Kit. I installed on my 28'. Eliminated my having to drive on to boards backing in to my driveway and makes those dips when entering/exiting fuel stops, etc. a non-issue. Better clearance on both ends is a plus. Tons of posts relating to the lift and all positive.
StuartsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 05:29 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
2022 Interstate 24GT
St. Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartsDad View Post
I would start with the Dexter Axle Lift Kit. I installed on my 28'. Eliminated my having to drive on to boards backing in to my driveway and makes those dips when entering/exiting fuel stops, etc. a non-issue. Better clearance on both ends is a plus. Tons of posts relating to the lift and all positive.
Thanks, I am thinking you are right; the additional clearance on both ends would be helpful.
Salvagediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 05:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvagediver View Post
With apologies; I was thinking again...this time about the relatively shallow departure angle on our 30' International. I looked up threads regarding modifications to existing skid plates; i.e., adding casters, or rollers or receiver hitch skid plate mods, but that was primarily a discussion from AS Interstate owners.

While we have the additional channel just forward of the rear bumper, has anyone made any mods to give greater protection? Not sure point-loading the frame rails using casters is a good idea...better to avoid a clearance issue all together. I was also wondering if the installation of a lift kit would gain much in departure angle to be worth it unless you wanted the lift kit for more than just additional clearance on the stern.

In any case, I'm interested in any opinions to address this...or not.

Thanks
The lift kit will help, but there is another no cost option, no modification required: Release the tension on the WD hitch. The rear of the tow vehicle sags under weight of the trailer tongue, which makes the rear of the trailer go up. Once out of the driveway, restore tension.

I have owned 5 Airstream trailers 30' and longer, in the past 25+ years. I've only had problems dragging a few times with the 30 footers.