Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2019, 04:29 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Replacement axle 1977 Argosy Minuet

Hi y’all! I bought a 20’ AS Argosy Minuet this summer and need to replace axle. I live in NM and need a vendor who can ship here for installation. Also need a service provider who can perform install in our area, as I have zero clue how to do myself. Any guidance/recommendations/referrals so very much appreciated!!

Love this community and so grateful it exists!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Avatar1573298853.878849.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	355842  
WandrWomanNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:42 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I would contact Luke in Fort Collins, CO. He did an axle job for me several years ago.
970-226-5001

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:01 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
I would contact Luke in Fort Collins, CO. He did an axle job for me several years ago.
970-226-5001

Thank you so much! I found a replacement axle at Colin Hyde Trailer restoration in NY that can be shipped to Albuquerque. With my current tow vehicle I can’t make it to Colorado because of elevation so I’m planning to use a classic car restorer in ABQ that we know to do the replacement. I really appreciate this forum and all of the generous people who share their experience and knowledge!
Old 11-22-2019, 10:01 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Around , Town
Just for the fun of it (well maybe not so much fun now, but to avoid not-so-fun later), might consider finding a certified scale and get the trailer's actual weight. With the certified weight, add in a full fresh water's tank weight and take a good guess at other trip necessities (food, clothing, etc).

Better yet, focus on scoping the new axle to the Argosy's GVWR (max weight). Also, using the existing axle's rating as an ordering guide might not get the correct number. If the Argosy does not have a visible data plate, a copy of the spec sheet, or owner's manual, documentation is likely available on Airstream's web site as a download.

Point is to make sure that when ordering the new axle, it can support the actual weight up to GVWR.

As a real-world example, my trailer's GVWR is 8,500 pounds and the original axles have a rating of 4K# each. Doing the math comes up with a 500 pound gap from what Airstream published as GVWR versus axles' rating.
JayTheCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:14 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTheCPA View Post
Just for the fun of it (well maybe not so much fun now, but to avoid not-so-fun later), might consider finding a certified scale and get the trailer's actual weight. With the certified weight, add in a full fresh water's tank weight and take a good guess at other trip necessities (food, clothing, etc).

Better yet, focus on scoping the new axle to the Argosy's GVWR (max weight). Also, using the existing axle's rating as an ordering guide might not get the correct number. If the Argosy does not have a visible data plate, a copy of the spec sheet, or owner's manual, documentation is likely available on Airstream's web site as a download.

Point is to make sure that when ordering the new axle, it can support the actual weight up to GVWR.

As a real-world example, my trailer's GVWR is 8,500 pounds and the original axles have a rating of 4K# each. Doing the math comes up with a 500 pound gap from what Airstream published as GVWR versus axles' rating.

Yes! Absolutely. Thanks!
Old 12-12-2019, 03:00 PM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTheCPA View Post

If your trailer's max weight is listed at 8,500 pounds then based on 12% (1020 lbs) on the ball then the axle weight is just under 7,500 pounds and well within the rated 4K lbs each. These are not exact numbers, but should be close.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote