Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2009, 05:20 PM   #21
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
So did you decide to get those axles on before driving up to San Antonio for the Texas Vintage Rally? Looking forward to meeting you and Pat there.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:53 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
"So did you decide to get those axles on before driving up to San Antonio for the Texas Vintage Rally? Looking forward to meeting you and Pat there.
GStephen"

Yes, I did not intend to cut it so close. See you there.

Don
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:56 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee
I am not a big fan of WD-40 since I started using a product named PB Blaster. It is on the shelf right next to WD-40 at Wal-Mart. It has never failed to release even bolts that appear to have rusted into a single unit with the bolt.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:10 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
The axles or on

We started removing the axles this morning about 8:30 am and had the new ones bolted on within 2 hours. Once the couple of tough bolts gave way the old axles came right off. The rest of the day was spend working on the Kodiak disc bakes and bake line. Tomorrow will finish wiring the actuator, filling with brake fluid and bleeding the brakes.

I have taken pictures and will arrange them in a day or so. Bottom line the old axles torsion arms were completely frozen in a level position, no angle at all. All were the same. Its amazing to to see the difference with the new axles.

I should have done this when I first got this trailer in 2000. I guess I was in denial.

More to follow later.

Don
Old 01-27-2009, 03:34 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Smile Axles and Disc Brakes with pictures

The axle and disc bake job is complete on my 1976 31' Sovereign. The entire process from removing the old axles to the first test drive took 3 days. Removing the old axles and installing the new ones only took about 3 hours. Had a couple of bolts that were really hard to remove but they finally broke free. The main tools needed that I had to gather up ahead of time are a couple of bottle jacks, a floor jack, jack stands, air wrench/compressor, furniture dollies (rented from U-haul), assorted box end wrenches/sockets and a 1/2" 18' socket breaker bar came in handy on those tough bolts. If anyone within driving distance to the Houston area is planning an axle replacement don't go out and buy this things, you can borrow them from me. Just come pick them up and bring them back.

The new Henschen axles fit right in the same spot that the old ones came out of and bolted right in. It does not get any easier than this. Once the bolts are out the old axles are lowered with the floor jack. The new ones are lifted in place with the floor jack as well. Put in the new bolts and you are done. The old axles were shot. The torsion arm was frozen in the level position on both axles. No drop at all when I jacked up the trailer and in this condition you can see how rough the ride was. In the end, the height of my trailer increased almost 3" with the new axles.

The time consuming part was installing the disc brakes, running the brake lines, installing and wiring the actuator. Once all of that was done the final steps were to bleed the brakes and reinstall the wheels, plus install the new P-3 brake controller.

No real problems in the entire process with 2 helpers . The main concern was wiring the actuator back through the connection box at the inside of the trailer. This looked like a birds nest with many different colored wires. Plus working with 3 sets of wiring colors and standards you have to make sure the right wire is connected to the right point. The instructions from Actibrake references their 5 wires connecting to color coded wires in the current universal 7 way connector standard. But the standard was different back in 1976 so the position of the wires, purpose and color was different. Since you can't go by colors you need to trace the actual wire to the right source. I am glad I have the 1976 service manual that had good illustrations on the connections. In the end the right connections were made and the actuator powered on when the break away pin was pulled. After installing the P-3 controller it also checked out as well

The 1st test drive was great. I adjusted the new P-3 brake controller at and empty parking lot down the street from me based on the instructions that came with the unit. Everything checked out so I took off over some city streets and high ways with various road conditions and stops and turns. The first thing I noticed was the braking with the disc brakes. Unbelievable response, smooth as silk. The ride was also very noticeably better. No hard bouncing up and down from riding on the old locked axles. I left a plastic box sitting on the kitchen counter and it was still there after the drive. I am very pleased with the Henschen axles and Kodiak disc brakes. Thanks everyone for your responses and help during the project. Also for thanks to Andy and Greg at Inland RV for helping with my order and answering all of my questions. Great service.

Rather than post individual pictures I have attached a pdf file with install pictures. I can post any individual pictures if needed.

Don
1976 31' Sovereign new Henschen Axles and Kodiak disc brakes
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Axles and disc brakes.pdf (5.59 MB, 174 views)
Old 01-27-2009, 05:04 PM   #26
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Thanks so much for sharing and the pics!

Many times people will start a thread and we never get to see or read about the end result. In this case looks like you have a winner!

>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 01-28-2009, 08:13 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Awesome job! Love the PDF pictures..We will be doing this at some point and were very interested in the process. The new axles and disc breaks look awesome and she sits real pretty.

Kani
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:37 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Love those wheels! Did you go with the 35 degree down option?
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:59 AM   #29
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
Love those wheels! .....Marc

Yes indeed!..Care to give us little detail on those?

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:02 AM   #30
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
Love those wheels! Did you go with the 35 degree down option?
Marc
Adonh purchased axles from us with a starting angle of 35 degrees.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:13 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
Good looking wheels...Yes indeed!..Care to give us little detail on those? Jim
The wheels are from Eagle Alloy
0589-7766 16X7 6 on 5.5 +8 offset

Eagle Alloy Wheels Series 058

The Tires are BF Goodrich Commercial T/A LT225/75R16.

BFGoodrich Tires | Commercial T/A® All Season | Tire Sizes & Specs

The starting angle on the Henschen axles from Inland Rv is 35%
Old 01-28-2009, 02:18 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
See I keep tellin everyone its not ROCKET SCIENCE. Only thing U did that was not necessary was the bottle jacks an jack stands . U just pull the first axle up on 2x8's,leaving the TV hooked like u did,but U got the job done and Really great pic's too Thanks.
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:41 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
U just pull the first axle up on 2x8's,leaving the TV hooked like u did,but U got the job done and Really great pic's too Thanks.
Roger
Yes I could have done that if I was going back with electric brakes and the entire install would have take about a half day. Bu since I was also installing Disc brakes I wanted to have both axles free to work on for running the brake lines and installing the calipers and rotors. So the jack stands did the job.

Don