Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2005, 07:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Exeter , Rhode Island
Red Wheel Bearing Grease

I have read the AS recall notice pertaining to wheel bearing grease. Some post here indicate that the red wheel bearing grease may cause problems. Does anyone know if this grease was used at the AS factory to service older units that were brought there for wheel bearing service?

Ben
Rob30044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 10:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Just clean out the old grease before packing with new and then you will have no worrys, regardless of the color.
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 12:11 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Battle Ground , Washington
Last summer I replaced all the bearings and races and seals. I used red grease. It is very sticky and works well.
Hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 06:06 AM   #4
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Red is bad?

I'd be interested in seeing that recall or info pertaining to the negative effects of red grease. I just packed my bearings with Redline Oil's RED CV-2 high performance synthetic bearing grease.

"Designed to withstand the high pressures and extreme temperatures which occur in high performance wheel bearings and cv joints. Can be used at temperatures from -100 deg. F to +500 deg. F. Provides good oxidation and corrosion resistance, low evaporation and oil separation and has a minimum effect on rubber seals."

Steve
Attached Images

Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 06:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Pdf from the Airstream site. Looks more like a lack of grease than the color.

John
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WheelBearingSafetyRecallNotice102204doc.pdf (45.6 KB, 286 views)
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 07:14 AM   #6
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
[QUOTE=74Argosy24MH]Pdf from the Airstream site. Looks more like a lack of grease than the color.

Thanks John, I read that and it sounds serious...I wonder what the axle/hub/bearing defect is that it only affects '04 trailers?

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:05 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Exeter , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfixx
I'd be interested in seeing that recall or info pertaining to the negative effects of red grease. I just packed my bearings with Redline Oil's RED CV-2 high performance synthetic bearing grease.
Steve,
There is a thread in this forum called 2004 Recall Notice. Members here have posted some problems with wheel bearing grease from the AS factory. The red grease is mentioned in post # 46. Other posts mentioned that is some cases the grease got past the seals and onto the brake linings. That does not mean that the grease you used is inferior.

The reason I started this thread is because the previous owner of my 1989 Excella had taken the trailer to the AS factory last year for wheel bearing service. After checking one hub yesterday I found out that the red wheel bearing was used for this service. I have not pulled the hubs yet, but I did notice grease seeping from the dust cap. I can't say if this is the same grease that is mentioned in the AS recall, but it is possible.

This post is a "head up" for owners who may have had their bearings serviced or had new axles installed at the AS factory in the past year.

Ben
Rob30044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 08:02 AM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Just got the call from the dealer on my Classic which was part of the recall. Wheel bearings were fine and mine had the proper grease. Apparently the problem affects a range of trailers but not every trailer identified in that range had the problem.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 08:09 AM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Argosy24MH
Pdf from the Airstream site. Looks more like a lack of grease than the color.

John
I prefer Kendall Super-Blu grease, but it doesn't matter the color so much as whether it will take the heat and pressure.
Terry
Old 01-23-2005, 09:04 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
you use red grease on the limited and blue on the excella's we can't be having a color clash.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote