Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2017, 06:20 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
Question Pittsburgh axle help/61 overlander

We acquired a 61 Overlander about year and a half ago and it is still sans new axles on blocks in my driveway. We are trying to scrimp as much as possible on costs; we put new axles on our 78 excella ourselves so plan on doing it again but are trying to figure where to get the axles.

We were trying to get a quote from Dexter directly but they are asking for a serial # from the frame (rusted to smitheens) or a complete order form with more questions than I can fathom, inside, outside, raised, ??? All I know is 22.5 degrees 12" 3800#, not sure what all the other options even are?
Anyone know the best place to go in the western Pa area, or how to decipher the Dexter order form?

Any/all help appreciated!
wannaroam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
wannaroam,

You may want to track down Colin Hyde (Plattsburg, NY). Colin ordered our replacement axles for our '68 Overlander and had them shipped to a garage near our home. He's very experienced and led me through the process of figuring out which axles we needed, on my cell phone, while I crawled under the trailer ('68 was a transition year for axles). Bottom line, the axles fit perfectly and in 2 hours we had both axles replaced and the old ones dropped at the scrap yard for recycle. (Past success is no guarantee of future performance...every job is different.)

Colin is sometimes difficult to contact, so be patient. If you Google his name, his web page will pop up with his phone number.

Good luck and let us know how it's going,

Roy and Marie
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
I used the Dexter online quote system and the price came back a couple hundred more than InlandRV charges. Drove through the Los Angeles traffic nightmare and picked up myself, from InlandRV.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote