Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-22-2017, 11:52 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
On The Road To Wherever We End Up , Traveling the USA
I just replaced axles, brakes, hubs at JC. Because I have a 3" lift kit, I kept the angle at 22.....still when work was complete it raised the trailer between 2-2.5"
SilverEagle6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:27 PM   #22
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
Actually, AS does not fit shocks on the smaller trailers (23 and under) shipped overseas and with CSA ratings. I would think a lighter trailer would be more subject to shock loads.

From Wiki:
"While shock absorbers serve the purpose of limiting excessive suspension movement, their intended sole purpose is to damp spring oscillations."

Since the torsion axle converts vertical movement of the unsprung components to torque on the rubber rods (which have a natural hysteresis) I believe the impact of a shock absorber on the Torflex axle is less important than on a leaf or coil spring suspended solid axle. The axle manufacturer (Dexter) says they are not required, and several on here have reported excellent towing without them.

All that said, I'm a "belt and suspenders" kind of guy so I am ordering my axles with the shock mounts. As a friend one said "overkill is just about right". If I feel the shock absorbers are needed after some test tows, I can add them.

Al
The simplest way to say it is that with no shocks, the tires have to do that work, ALSO. Broken-surface braking is dependent on tire adhesion

Sure, may not able to dintinguish. And I'm NOT trying to be argumentative except to push this one point.

It isn't expensive, is the second.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:02 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
The simplest way to say it is that with no shocks, the tires have to do that work, ALSO. Broken-surface braking is dependent on tire adhesion

Sure, may not able to dintinguish. And I'm NOT trying to be argumentative except to push this one point.

It isn't expensive, is the second.

Braking is a good point. What the heck, with the brackets on there already, the shocks are only $29 each or so, and easy to install with the axles. I think you talked me into it.

I wasn't trying to be argumentative either, just trying to understand.

Thanks for your persistence.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:42 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Just got a call from Dexter via Redneck Trailer

My guy went ahead and ordered the axles today. Apparently (and this makes sense) the shock mounts are not available on the 32 degree down axle. I changed my order to 22.5 down. If I need to raise the trailer, I'll add the lift kit. Hopefully the shocks will still fit.

Al

Quote:
Here is a copy of my order form. I turned it in to my trailer repair place today. He will send it to Redneck Trailer (a Dexter distributor) on Monday to avoid its getting lost over the long holiday weekend.

I went with an upgrade from 4400# to 5000# and increased the stargting angle to 32 degrees from 22.5. By my calculations that will raise the trailer just over 3/4" in addition to any gain from replacing the shot axles.

I also specified the shock mounting bracket (in the comments box) but I'm going to try it first without mounting shocks.

Kodiak 12" discs and Hydrastar 1600 actuator also ordered. Hope to have it all together for Canopener.

Al
Quote:
Here is a copy of my order form. I turned it in to my trailer repair place today. He will send it to Redneck Trailer (a Dexter distributor) on Monday to avoid its getting lost over the long holiday weekend.

I went with an upgrade from 4400# to 5000# and increased the stargting angle to 32 degrees from 22.5. By my calculations that will raise the trailer just over 3/4" in addition to any gain from replacing the shot axles.

I also specified the shock mounting bracket (in the comments box) but I'm going to try it first without mounting shocks.

Kodiak 12" discs and Hydrastar 1600 actuator also ordered. Hope to have it all together for Canopener.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote