Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2020, 06:03 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
San Antonio , Texas
Ordering a de-rated Dexter #11?

I'm trying to order axles for my 1990 29' Excella to replace the OE Henschen 3200# set. Is there some secret password to use for a Dexter distributor to enter the data into their ProSpec software application?

I went to a major, full-service dealer in San Antonio (Southwest Wheel) and they said the software wouldn't accept any de-rated inputs. The lightest #11 is 5200#, according to him. And if I want less than that, there's no way I can also have 12" brakes.

To me, it's pretty clear that the existing brackets and slots call for a #11 bracket. They're 11" long. The slots in the frame are just over 9". They have 12" drum brakes. Factoring in the small slot adjustment up to 9.5" makes the #11 obvious as the best-fit, closest-to-bolt-in solution.

I know it's possible, because there's a picture of dbj216's axle tag from March 2020 showing a 3600# #11 - which is basically what I wanted to spec. https://www.airforums.com/forums/f43...al-206487.html I reviewed Al & Missy's threads about how to spec and fill out the form.

The retailer says he's never heard of de-rating, knows nothing about Airstreams, but he'll e-mail Dexter.

The delay may be beneficial. I originally wanted a 3600# to more closely align with the original spec, but may bump that up. The 1990 29' has a dry weight of 5600# and max gross of 6800#. The original 1200# is not much headroom for cargo, plus other improvements like added solar and batteries.

Is 3800# a better de-rated spec at 120% of original? More, but not too much? The Dexter catalog says the #11 covers a 4100-6000# range. I assume 4100# would make for a mighty stiff ride at 30% more than OE rating.
joe_in_SAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
You need to find a dealer who knows what they talking about. I agree that 30 percent is a big jump but have you ever weighed the trailer to see what the actual weight is? I went up 12% in axle weight rating.
I think 4K is the least on a #11 axle. You should be fine with the #10 axle and 10 inch drum brakes. If you were concerned about braking you could order the axle with disk brakes but at a much higher cost.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:01 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
I just bought 3500# #11 Dexters. Do yourself a favor and contact Colin Hyde. I contacted several axle dealers. I spent a solid 10 days trying to jump through all the hoops Red Neck Trailer Supply threw in my path in order to order the axles through them. I had my order form, thanks to Al and Missy, all filled out and ready. I knew all the different measurements by heart. Yet I got nowhere with Red Neck. Never once did they call me back or answer an email, in spite of all the smarmy promises. I finally took it upstairs and got a woman who did everything she could to help but still didn't know how to order them. She turned me over to a Dexter rep who turned me over to another Dexter rep who sent me to a third. It was my cheapness that kept me from contacting Colin in the fist place. I figured his price would be higher and I didn't want to burn his time if I wasn't going to order from him. Exasperated, I called him One call, two or three minutes, cover a couple of options, my axles were ordered. The price with shipping actually ended up being cheaper than Red Neck, who finally got back to me with a quote two weeks after our last conversation and a promise of a speedy response.
Old 09-03-2020, 09:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
I second Colin Hyde, I purchased two sets of #11 at 3500 lb with 12" brakes. Although mine were bare since I wanted disc brakes.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeboater View Post
I just bought 3500# #11 Dexters. Do yourself a favor and contact Colin Hyde. I contacted several axle dealers. I spent a solid 10 days trying to jump through all the hoops Red Neck Trailer Supply threw in my path in order to order the axles through them. I had my order form, thanks to Al and Missy, all filled out and ready. I knew all the different measurements by heart. Yet I got nowhere with Red Neck. Never once did they call me back or answer an email, in spite of all the smarmy promises. I finally took it upstairs and got a woman who did everything she could to help but still didn't know how to order them. She turned me over to a Dexter rep who turned me over to another Dexter rep who sent me to a third. It was my cheapness that kept me from contacting Colin in the fist place. I figured his price would be higher and I didn't want to burn his time if I wasn't going to order from him. Exasperated, I called him One call, two or three minutes, cover a couple of options, my axles were ordered. The price with shipping actually ended up being cheaper than Red Neck, who finally got back to me with a quote two weeks after our last conversation and a promise of a speedy response.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:41 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
San Antonio , Texas
I've e-mailed Colin Hyde, so I'll see what he says.

The confusion at Southwest Wheel may be that counter-guy and I were maybe talking about different products from different manufacturers. SWW is a Dexter dealer, but they sell Flexiride torsion axles. They may or may not also sell Dexter torsion axles.

I was asking about what Dexter could build. His answers may have referred to what Universal/Flexiride will sell and what he's familiar with. It's conceivable he'll call back and say "yeah, we can do that with Dexter, we've just never done it before" or "we've got an agreement with Flexiride for torsion, and no, they can't do that."

https://www.southwestwheel.com/c-26-torsion-axles.aspx

There is other discussion about Flexiride in older threads. Even if weights, brakes and brackets were compatible, I think the deal-breaker would be the length of the torsion arm at only 4 1/2" compared to Dexter's and Airstream's 6". This would move the wheel location too far forward in the wheel well.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f43...ons-96142.html
joe_in_SAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:58 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard👍

I would....

Call JC, give them your VIN # and they will tell you what's available.

They just replaced our two 3500 axles with 4000's.
We originally wanted 4200 but they were not available in the Dexter no never anything axle,(no neverlube, no never adjust).
POI they have 12" drums.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	08512024-1B47-469E-A09A-66DD84AD2CE4.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	296.7 KB
ID:	377667   Click image for larger version

Name:	50BBF231-4997-4A4D-9F54-2350C452A22B_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	446.9 KB