Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2010, 03:53 AM   #41
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
even though it has not happened yet, people sure get bent over these axles. Why is that? Is it because the cant in the main tube or is it that they just can't help themselves?
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:07 AM   #42
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc View Post
Hi overlande63; and 47WeeWind; Sarcastic questions and comments are not what Forums were intended for. Who cares, just do it. "Boatdoc"
No, "Boatdoc", it's when people start posting "popcorn" comments, the thread is usually about a micron from being closed or deleted. Sometimes people need to step back and take a deep breath before that happens.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:40 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
Popcorn? Heck, I just finished my tub watching the last "what tow vehicle" thread! Axles, shocks, tow vehicles... just wait until someone mentions a bike rack on the rear!

Marc
I'm going to install a rear tire on the back of my 1955 Safari using a extra long trailer receiver weld to frame.........toastie
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:27 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie View Post
I'm going to install a rear tire on the back of my 1955 Safari using a extra long trailer receiver weld to frame.........toastie
If you wish or need to post off topic there are several threads that you can do this in. Here are two examples. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ead-60297.html and http://www.airforums.com/forums/f472...ing-24723.html.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:27 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Ok, me bad.. back to the subject at hand... what did you decide to do with your shocks? ANYTHING has to be better than the rigid old axle... are you keeping the shocks?
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:33 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
... Is it because the cant in the main tube or is it that they just can't help themselves?
The boy jus' cain't he'p it.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:22 AM   #47
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Being a Spectator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
Ok, me bad.. back to the subject at hand... what did you decide to do with your shocks? ANYTHING has to be better than the rigid old axle... are you keeping the shocks?
Marc
Sorry, I had moved from the eager student to the beer and popcorn crowd. I love controversy.

I haven't made up my mind yet entirely, although I am in no rush. I think having shocks is kind of cool, yet the jury appears out on their necessity. But since I sprang for the mounts, I think I will try an utilize them. I may take Boatdoc up on his very thoughtful and generous offer, assuming I can compensate him in some way.

I guess at the same time I was looking for a solution, I was hoping to bring this issue to the attention of the next person who does an axle swap. I have no experience with Axis' contruction, so don't know if the same problem exists there. But if I am reading Dexter's specs correctly, people shouldn't have this problem (or at least as pronounced) with #11 axles. At a minimum, requesting the shock mounts to be welded on the inside of the arm as opposed to the outside would certainly help. Again, that wouldn't go the whole nine yards in my case. A simple measurement of the original axle could tell you prior to ordering. One just needs to measure from the bracket to the base of the mount. This same measurement on my new axle will give me the difference I have.
Click image for larger version

Name:	hen.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	290.1 KB
ID:	98762

Thanks to all who offered help and constructive feedback.
Dumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:47 AM   #48
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpster View Post
Sorry, I had moved from the eager student to the beer and popcorn crowd. I love controversy.
Your Airstream requires "horizontal shocks". Your photo shows an after market red colored shock.

Please be advised that a vertical shock, placed in a horizontal position, is a waste of materials, since it will have as much effect on the trailer, as it would if you placed them inside one of the closets, in a basket.

If your going to use shocks, as you should, use the Airstream EXCLUSIVE horizontal shocks.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:41 PM   #49
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
I Got It, Multiple Times

Your establishement sells the only approved shock for my trailer. But perhaps if we read the initial post, as our moderator suggested, we can avoid kicking the proverbial horse to death?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpster View Post
Of obvious note is that the shocks are not AS “approved”. If I wind up having to ditch the shocks altogether, I will be glad I didn’t spring for new ones.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:51 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Dumpster,

Well just look what you started!

On a serious note...I have attached a photo of my Dexter axle install with new shocks installed. Granted you can't see the misalignment well from the the photo, but it at least shows a decent shot of the installed Dexter axles with new shocks mounted. Like I said before, just like yours, my shocks certainly run at a noticeable angle.

I understand you are trying to gauge what makes the most sense in your situation. In my situation I ordered new shocks before I even had the axles, because I knew the shocks were old just like the axles and after the expense of the axles the cost of the shocks seemed like a mute point. Granted I wish the placement of the shock mount was accurate, however I'm pretty satisfied with the results after I installed the new shocks, and found that the rubber bushings were pretty soft and seemed to absorb the misalignment better than I had expected after first glance. Overall I'm glad I opted to put shocks back on.

Good luck with your decisions. I'm very glad that my axle install is behind me! Now I'm in the process of replacing the rear belly pan and attempting to strengthen the frame to prevent additional rear end separation in the future. This whole AS thing (I've only owned one since the fall) makes me feel more like a mechanic than a camper!

Cheers,
Eric
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8200.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	98809  
Emerson75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:42 PM   #51
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Dumpster, I've been following your thread and have hesitated to jump in here, mostly because of the problems you've already encountered with an "axle thread". It really ticks me off when you try to obtain reasonable information in a thread and somebody jumps in and takes the thing in a completely pointless and useless direction. You have something of a unique problem here. Sad that the thread went so awry.

At any rate, I don't recall my shocks being so misaligned when we welded them on. I ordered the shock mounts loose (not welded) and a forum member, PizzaChop, welded them on for me. No problems at all. If you want, I can take a couple of pictures of the undercarriage as installed. But, it may be a couple days because of a completely saturated ground around the camper due to continual rains. Let me know if you want those pics. Look at my main thread here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f226...nte-15132.html to see how I ordered and installed mine. Look to the end of the thread around Oct of last year.

BTW, you can order those shocks from any Airstream dealer. I bought mine from Out Of Doors Mart. A REALLY good group of folks to deal with: Out-of-Doors Mart MORE Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!!! And we accept PayPal. Ask for Dan. He's also a forum member here, but doesn't post all that much (hint).

Jim

P.S. I have a feeling I should know this, but who is John Galt?

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:38 PM   #52
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Well, another forum member kindly reminded me that I did not order the shock brackets loose, as stated above, and he would be correct. At the time I ordered my axles, the brackets were not available for some reason that I can't remember now. We cut the brackets off the old axles and put them on the new.

I think it's late enough that I need to go to bed now.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 03-26-2010, 07:14 AM   #53
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Atlas (finally) Shrugged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
who is John Galt?
If you have ever read the book Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (my own, personal 2nd bible), you would realize how fantastically classic your quote above is. It is also fitting (and for that reason, not off topic) that I feel like Atlas wanting to finally shrug off this thread. But I digress....

Thanks to you and Eric for the helpful posts. And no need to point me toward the Monte, as I have been following along with you; albiet silently. You should be very proud of what you have accomplished. I will take another look at your axle pictures. I have a hunch you wound up welding the brackets on the very inside of the arm? With that, I would still be curious if your brackets are perfectly aligned? I am not poking, I am genuinely curious about this for the next guy/gal.

Best Regards,
Dumpster
Old 03-26-2010, 04:24 PM   #54
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Northern VT , Vermont
From an off roader point of view traditional hydralic shocks in or near the horz position preform poorly and fail quickly. Gas shocks seem to work well. For moderate misalignment the "cheap" rubber bushings are very forgiveing. The "better" poly bushings are not, they can bend the thrust shaft and destroy the internal seals. An old hotroder trick for a shock that just can't been aligned. Find a friendly auto parts store and go through the cheap tie rod ends, ball joints, ect to find the specs you need, cut excess as needed and spot weld to the mounting plate. Ball/socket will releave stress of angle. 1st make sure there is clearance. Spotweld 'cause if you ever replace the shock odds are you'll have to cut the joint from the plate.
putback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:54 AM   #55
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by putback View Post
From an off roader point of view traditional hydralic shocks in or near the horz position preform poorly and fail quickly. Gas shocks seem to work well.
You are correct in your statement about traditional shocks. However Air Stream horizontal shocks are not traditional shocks. Because of that, these horizontal shocks are only available at a Airstream dealership.

And gas shocks do not work in this application.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 03-28-2010, 05:09 AM   #56
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Torsion axles, when hitting a bump, tend to "chatter", sort of like a bouncing ball, because of the rubber rods.

Rubber bounces, we all know that.

The shocks, curtail {limit} that bouncing, since they are motion restricters.

Dexter can say whatever they wish, but they cannot over rule physics, or the behavior of rubber.

Andy
I agree with Andy, common sense tells me that shocks reduces sway, wander, and bounce for improved towing capacity. I would think that shocks reduce the surge caused by trailer motion feedback to the TV as when a semi passes you on an interstate. I dont want to tow a bouncing ball.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:50 AM   #57
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
If we consider what happens when a vehicle w/ a shock hits a bump, it is true that the force is somewhat higher on the initial reaction ... but the shock helps prevent the entire trailer from bouncing up and down several times after in reaction. Here's a graph on what various amounts of shock damping do to a step function input (which is like a bump in the road):

The interesting thing about shocks (ignoring gas shocks) is that the force they exert is proportional to the speed of their compression or extension.

Rubber torsion axles provide damping as well, intrinsically, because rubber has hysteresis: unlike steel springs, compression and expanding rubber absorbs significant amounts of energy (which is why tires get warm when driving):

Regular leaf springs do provide a little damping; the leaves rub together and create friction. This is actually counterproductive in terms of ride quality, and back when cars had leaf springs, placing greased cheesecloth between the leaves of the springs helped the car react more supplely to the road....

Whether or not a trailer w/ a rubber torsion axle needs shocks is an interesting question; I would imagine that depends a great deal on the characteristics of the rubber, number of axles, etc. If someone were to travel a section of rough road w/ an accelerometer-equipped trailer w/ and w/o shocks installed, much might be learned about the necessity of shock absorbers on Airstreams. Accelerometers used to hard to find outside a lab, but modern solid state versions are in IPhones, etc... there may be IPhone applications suitable for this already.
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:42 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
They learn't you well where you're from

Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
.. Here's a graph on what ... because rubber has hysteresis: unlike steel ... travel a section of rough road w/ an accelerometer-equipped trailer ...

Accelerometers used to hard to find outside a lab, but modern solid state versions are in IPhones, etc... there may be IPhone applications suitable for this already.
The last sentence is doubtful.

Who do you think your audience is? The people around here that already understood a damping function have already drawn their conclusion on the viability of shock absorbers on an Airstream.

Since you posted no conclusion, you may want to direct readers to the wiki(s) from which your statements were derived so all inclined to can understand everything involved.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:24 PM   #59
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
A further flogging of the proverbial deceased equine

The ground finally dried out enough around the camper so that I could crawl underneath and get a couple of pictures. Looks like you were correct, we (or more precisely, Ron) welded those arms much closer in to the frame than the factory did with yours. There's still a bit of cant, but not too bad. I should think that you can cut those arms off and move them inward without too much trouble (Of course, I'm assuming that you have, or know somebody that has, the right equipment to do so). This is the curbside rear wheel.

I have not read Atlas Shrugged but am very familiar with the basic thesis of the book. Given current events, the concept of Producers, Looters and Moochers seems to have a lot applicability to reality, doesn't it?

Jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Shocks 1.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	99006   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shocks 2.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	99007  

Name:	Shocks 3.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	99008  

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 03-29-2010, 12:14 AM   #60
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
The last sentence is doubtful.
A minute or two w/ google returns:

Robota Softwarehouse - iPhone AcceleroLog - View accelerometer graphs and log data with your iPhone

Quote:
Who do you think your audience is? The people around here that already understood a damping function have already drawn their conclusion on the viability of shock absorbers on an Airstream.

Since you posted no conclusion, you may want to direct readers to the wiki(s) from which your statements were derived so all inclined to can understand everything involved.
I was hoping to make things a little clearer as to why shocks might be a good idea... but since I haven't taken any data (we're still refurbishing our Airstream) I wasn't going to come out and say "Yes, use shocks" or "No, they don't help much". I don't know how much force the shocks generate, how they're valved, etc. The fact that the same shock appears to be used on all Airstreams regardless of weight seems to indicate that they're not critical in this application.

For those interested in some technical links only tangentially related to the topic but having some handy pictures:
Second Order Dynamics - WolfWikis
ValveTypesSelection - ControlsWiki

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote