Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2006, 08:47 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Seattle , Washington
New Bearings

I have an 18' '71 Caravel, and it has the original axle. Bearings are a 2 piece afair and 'am wondering where I would find replacements.
I repacked them and they look okay...for umm 35 yearold bearings.

Byron
Byron71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Byron,

If you inspected them and they look ok, there is no 'age limit' on bearings. If you want to replace, just note the numbers engraved on the side of the bearings, and any trailer shop should have them in stock, or available on short notice. Don't forget to get new seals also.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:10 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Byron,

If you inspected them and they look ok, there is no 'age limit' on bearings. If you want to replace, just note the numbers engraved on the side of the bearings, and any trailer shop should have them in stock, or available on short notice. Don't forget to get new seals also.
Thanks Mark...they did seem okay, I''ll pull one apart and look for numbers.

Thanks'
Byron
Old 03-29-2006, 09:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Auto Parts Store

I had no problem finding the bearings and seals I needed for my 66 Caravel. Bring to old ones with you if you cannot find the number. The same for the seals. Remember there is an inner and outer bearing set with replaceable races (the area where the bearing rides in the brake drum). More than likely just repacking will cover you for a long time, I just like to have a set for when I am on the road. A complete set (2 bearings and races with new seal) was under $20.

Mike
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:58 AM   #5
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Byron--You can purchase bearings and seals at any bearing distributor in the country. Just look in the classified under bearings, and bring in either the old bearings and seals, or the part numbers. Remember when you remount the hub and wheel, the tapered bearing preload must be loose. Lightly wrench tighten the nut to remove all play. Spin wheel by hand, to insure grease is spread out on the bearing surfaces. Grab tire top and bottom and shake. Should be no play. Loosen nut and finger tighten. Shake again, should be no play. Loosen one notch. Shake again, should have play, or looseness. Insert cotter pin, and the grease cap, and you are good to go. Taper bearings on wheels always run loose. Happy Airstreaming.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:32 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Seattle , Washington
Thanks Frank, I was aware of the install drill and did that last year when I got the trailer. I think I found online a good source for bearings and seals ect...champion trailer parts supply. They seem to have just about everything. I now know my spindle is 1 3/4 x 1 1/4...since my brakes are 12"...nothing is ever easy.

Byron