Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2009, 08:30 AM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Now is that due to a personal issue with the product or that you do not sell them? I suspect the latter.
The nev-r-lubes are available to us from Henschen.

Our choice, is to not sell them, since it absolutely destroys the owners attention to the brakes, and lack of in field replacement parts.

It seems like the human nature spells out, that if you can ignore the bearing issue for 100,000 miles, why do I need to pay any attention to the brakes. Electric brakes, even according to Dexter, should be adjusted every 3000 miles.

Don't bet on that happening when someone has the nev-r- lubes.

One of the most negleted area's of PM are the brakes on a travel trailer. Having worked on them for over 43 years, proves that point over and over again.

Many owners , when replacing axles, shift to disc brakes. Disc brakes are much more efficient than electric brakes, and do not require the every 3000 mile adjustments.

The recent failures with disc brakes, was with the actuator, in particular, the one made by "Actibrake", and not the brakes themselves.

Anything new, has it's learning curve, be it electric brakes or disc brakes. The issues regarding those are now long gone.

But, the proper PM of electric brakes is ignored by almost every travel trailer owner, either by skipping the adjustment issue and/or the routine visual inspection, once a year or every 10,000 miles, which ever comes first.

The new issue regarding electric brakes, might be the self adjusters. So far, the problem slate, is clean, and all reports have been 100 percent positive.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:41 AM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Disc brakes.

The RV industries interest in disc brakes, is a good thing.

Disc brakes, on a travel trailer are just as simple as they are on a car.

However, the big difference, is the need for an "actuator" for the trailer disc brakes.

Other than for the recent failures of Actibrake actuators, there has not been any significant problems associated with the disc brakes.

The vacuum over hydraulic system Airstream used, was a pioneer all by itself. No other manufacturer tried them. However, once again, the problems with the original Airstream disc brakes, was lack of proper PM with the discs, which was minor, but much more so with the huge actuator. On the other hand, there are still many of the original Airstream disc brake systems still in use today.

Disc brakes, for travel trailers, is here to stay.

Andy
Old 11-25-2009, 08:55 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Just for info: My 2010 28 ft. Flying cloud came with neverlube bearings and self adjusting drum brakes.
jkcru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:08 AM   #24
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcru View Post
Just for info: My 2010 28 ft. Flying cloud came with neverlube bearings and self adjusting drum brakes.
Airstream production, recently changed to self adjusting brakes, on all trailers.

So far, so good.

Andy
Old 11-25-2009, 01:58 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
It's a bit tangential (and likely beyond my budget), but adding discs requires finding a place for the actuator and running brake lines under the trailer, right? Are those lines exposed/running along the belly pan? That would seem to present risks - and a lot more plumbing work than I want for a $8000 2500 lb trailer...

It would seem to me that if AS is using the newer-type bearings with self-adjusting brakes on what sounds like a Dexter axle, I should be able to spec a Dexter axle with those goodies.

Likewise, if disc brakes had issues when they were new, and they were worked out, it would seem the same process would apply for Nev-R-Lube bearings. I don't plan on driving them into standing water like a boat trailer...

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:12 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
The bearings failed due to a lack of lubrication even though they were greased after every use. Everything was fried including the brakes and drum. Luckily the spindle was not ruined or it would have cost me a new axle. Some of these systems sound good but when you force that grease into the inner bearing you are blowing out the seal. The problems compound with a boat trailer, because you are usually going into the water with hot bearings. I'm with Andy ,I want to inspect everything.

As far as sealed automotive bearings go, I had one fail at 75,000 miles. Never had that happen with stuff I repacked.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:15 PM   #27
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
It's a bit tangential (and likely beyond my budget), but adding discs requires finding a place for the actuator and running brake lines under the trailer, right? Are those lines exposed/running along the belly pan? That would seem to present risks - and a lot more plumbing work than I want for a $8000 2500 lb trailer...

hi tom

yep disc installation means running lines and locating the actuator.

there are several good threads that reveal these diy steps, IF you want the links just ask...

it might be MORE $ and performance than you want or need for the gosy...

and it may depend on WHAT u tow with and how fast u wanna stop.

i met a guy towing a bambi with a porsche cayenne.

the cayenne has massive brakes and stopping power, the bambi did not.

so his trailer got sideways during a panic stop on the interstate...

this was NO fuN and a bit scary.

and preceded his trip to j/c to have the disc upgrade for the bambi...

so matching the 2 vehicles' braking ability seems to be a useful notion.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:39 PM   #28
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post

It would seem to me that if AS is using the newer-type bearings with self-adjusting brakes on what sounds like a Dexter axle, I should be able to spec a Dexter axle with those goodies.

Likewise, if disc brakes had issues when they were new, and they were worked out, it would seem the same process would apply for Nev-R-Lube bearings. I don't plan on driving them into standing water like a boat trailer...

Tom
We suggest that the actuator be mounted in an access compartment.

That minimizes the steel tubing brake line exposure.

Also, it keeps the actuator out of the weather. Not that it matters, but we think that's a good idea.

You may have a neighbor that wants disc brakes, and if the actuator can be seen, well, how long might it stay there?

Andy
Old 11-26-2009, 05:11 AM   #29
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
someone is going to steal you actuator? Seriously? Sure am glad I don't live in
LA, I would hate to think like that. We do live in a twisted society though.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote