Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Irrigon , Oregon
New axle replacement

I recently installed new axles on our 1977 28' Argosy. After reviewing Inland RV and Colin Hyde axles, I went with Colin. My main reason was the plug and play installation (Henschen type mounting brackets). I took one measurement from the face of the brake drum to the mounting bracket, just for Colin to make sure I was getting the right ones. I also liked the fact that they are powder coated and are set up with safety lube spindles, allowing you to grease the bearings with out pulling everything apart. Shock brackets came welded on. I also went with 32 degree spindles to give it a little more clearance. With the help of a movers dolly, floor jack and a bottle jack I did the complete install by myself in 7 hours. The only difference was the shock mounting bracket was welded on the inside instead of the outside of the arm. I was told that the shoulder bolts came with the shocks and could be installed with the axles in place. I did not have quite enough room to install the shocks. So I cut the bolts to 2 3/8" total length and pried the bracket out away from the frame and installed the shock. The shock rides true, were the originals were 1/2" out of line. After installing the centramatic balancers and having the wheels powder coated, Every things looking good.
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Would you mind posting a photo or photos of your shock brackets? I replaced my axles a couple of years ago and need to move the brackets a bit because of tire clearance issues going to a wider Michelin tire.

Thanks,
pickerdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Irrigon , Oregon
I sure will, but it will be this weekend so I can do it when it's light out.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Irrigon , Oregon
pickerdd, Heres the pictures
Attached Images