Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2011, 05:17 PM   #61
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Top, you mean the 10" brakes will work just fine for the axle rating per the manufacturer? You sure you don't need 12" brakes?
Old 03-30-2011, 05:56 PM   #62
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Steve,
I NEED 10" brakes. There is no NEED to pay extra for what ammounts to "pocket padding" for parts suppliers. That is my take on brakes. Lol

Sent from my Nexus One using AIR Forums

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:08 PM   #63
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Congratulations on getting your new axles installed. Every time someone successfully completes a project (and reports on it as you have done so well) it gives the rest of us confidence that maybe we can do it too.

Thanks - Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:24 PM   #64
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Thanks Pat. I still have one more axle to install. Replacing the axles is turning out to be one of the easiest tasks of my project.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:47 PM   #65
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I mean...why go less expensive Top...it IS an AIRSTREAM after all. Go big or go home.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:55 PM   #66
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Nice job stirring the pot, Steve

You like apples? How about them apples!

Old 03-30-2011, 07:21 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
I also thought that somewhere you went on record as not having a budget--so......why cheap now????
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:45 PM   #68
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
Top, you mean the 10" brakes will work just fine for the axle rating per the manufacturer? You sure you don't need 12" brakes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
I mean...why go less expensive Top...it IS an AIRSTREAM after all. Go big or go home.
I'm going to take up a collection to get Steve his very own big wooden spoon for Christmas so he can stir the pot better...
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:19 PM   #69
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoodtx View Post
I also thought that somewhere you went on record as not having a budget--so......why cheap now????
True that I've said I'm not keeping a budget. That doesn't mean I'm going to waste money on things I believe are not necessary.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:48 PM   #70
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I'm going to take up a collection to get Steve his very own big wooden spoon for Christmas so he can stir the pot better...
Here's a nice one!

Old 03-31-2011, 05:49 AM   #71
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
He's doing quite well with just a plastic coffee stirrer.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:56 AM   #72
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
True that I've said I'm not keeping a budget. That doesn't mean I'm going to waste money on things I believe are not necessary.
just stirring with Steve salesmen will try to sell you what they want not necessarily what you need. the stopping power between the 10 & 12 on a '70's trailer will i believe be negligible. on my 97 30' widebody it would probably make a difference.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:33 AM   #73
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Electric brake ratings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoodtx View Post
just stirring with Steve salesmen will try to sell you what they want not necessarily what you need. the stopping power between the 10 & 12 on a '70's trailer will i believe be negligible. on my 97 30' widebody it would probably make a difference.
Manufacturers stopping power specs on top grade electric brakes are;

10 inch 3500 pounds per axle.

12 inch 6200 pounds per axle.

That is a huge difference of 176 percent.

But again, thats when the brakes are perfectly and properly adjusted, which seldom happens.

In the absence of proper adjustment, the stopping power can drop as much as 50 percent, and sometimes even more, according to the manufacturers, who know far more than the general public, about their products.

At 50 percent, 10 inch brakes can then properly stop 1750 pounds per axle, and 12 inch brakes can properly stop 3100 pounds per axle.

Perhaps the new style "self adjusting" electric brakes will become extremely popular, even though they cost more money.

Andy 11.3x
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:17 AM   #74
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
Apples and Axles

After reading post #1 of this thread, it could be assumed that your comparison shopping was for very similar (and possibly exactly the same Axis) axles. In fact you started by saying, "Here is what I was quoted from four different axle suppliers for two #3500 torsion axles complete with 10" brakes;"

So, after reading and folloiwng this thread from the beginning, I now find that there seem to be some obvious differences and maybe there are some others as well.

The Axis axles you purchased have 10" brakes, were not direct bolt in and had an issue with the shock mount which may have been welded on incorrectly.

The quote from Inland RV for Axis axles included 12" brakes, shock mounts and were to be direct bolt in. The basic unit price difference was $320 per axle compared to the ones you purchased.

I can understand a difference in the price because of the 12" brakes but I'm wondering if there are other differences in the axles. And I think it would be of great value to the forum members to know if there are differences.

Are the Axis axles sold by Colin Hyde manufactured to the Henschen specifications? Or are they standard Axis torsion trailer axles with design modifications so they will mount on an Airstream?

Are the Axis axles sold by Inland RV manufactured to the Henschen specifications and if so do they differ substantially from the standard Axis torsion trailer axles? Or are they standard Axis axles built to Inland's specs so they will be direct bolt in.

Are we really comparing apples and apples?
Old 03-31-2011, 01:51 PM   #75
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Another thing to note in this comparison, this is for an early 70's trailer.

It is my understanding that for pre-69 (I believe is the date cut off) even a Henschen axle had some issue with the shock mount and hole drilling. Meaning they are not an exact bolt in unit. However I believe they were as close as one could get. And know that a Henschen manufactured axle is no longer available because Henschen the original axle vendor owned by Airstream is not doing business anymore.

So older trailers will have some modifications to the new axle needed no matter who builds the axle. May be the single biggest difference is the brake drum size of 10" versus 12". If braking were truely an issue one should consider disc brakes. While more expensive, the design is far superior to drum brakes. And a properly maintained drum brake is totally acceptable. Annual inspections of lining material, magnet material and electrical hook up when doing a wheel bearing grease repack.

>>>>>>>>Action
Old 03-31-2011, 03:32 PM   #76
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Thanks for you participation in this discussion Lew. My thoughts on your questions are in blue below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftless View Post
After reading post #1 of this thread, it could be assumed that your comparison shopping was for very similar (and possibly exactly the same Axis) axles. In fact you started by saying, "Here is what I was quoted from four different axle suppliers for two #3500 torsion axles complete with 10" brakes;"

So, after reading and folloiwng this thread from the beginning, I now find that there seem to be some obvious differences and maybe there are some others as well.

The Axis axles you purchased have 10" brakes, were not direct bolt in and had an issue with the shock mount which may have been welded on incorrectly.

They are directly bolted in now. All I had to do was drill eight holes.
I believe the issue with the shock mounting is BECAUSE the old axle had 12" brakes and the new has 10" brakes. The tube distance from the mounting bracket to the trailing arm is different on the new axles. This, of course puts the shock mount on the new axle farther outboard from the shock mounting stud welded to the frame. I'll adapt and overcome. I'm not sweating the shocks. They are not necessary on a rubber torsion axle. Even on an Airstream. Call and ask Dexter, Axis or Al-Ko Kober. Their engineers will tell you the same thing.

The quote from Inland RV for Axis axles included 12" brakes, shock mounts and were to be direct bolt in. The basic unit price difference was $320 per axle compared to the ones you purchased.

I never asked for 12" brakes from anyone. I asked for 10" brakes. If Inland quoted me a price for 12" brakes that was his option to do so and he priced himself out of a sale. The difference in 10" and 12" brakes is no where near $320 per axle. Maybe around $100. Torsion axle manufactures spec 10" brakes on #3500 axles. If you want 12" brakes you have to order the #4,000 axle that comes standard with 12" brakes and ask for the axle to be "down rated" to #3,500. If I wanted to upgrade my brakes I would have asked for disc brakes. I cut and pasted directly from his quote.

I can understand a difference in the price because of the 12" brakes but I'm wondering if there are other differences in the axles. And I think it would be of great value to the forum members to know if there are differences.

Are the Axis axles sold by Colin Hyde manufactured to the Henschen specifications? Or are they standard Axis torsion trailer axles with design modifications so they will mount on an Airstream?

I'll let Colin answer this question.
Actually he just answered it on The VAP.

Are the Axis axles sold by Inland RV manufactured to the Henschen specifications and if so do they differ substantially from the standard Axis torsion trailer axles? Or are they standard Axis axles built to Inland's specs so they will be direct bolt in.

I've asked this question before. I could never get what I thought was a straight answer. I know that there is some hokie kinda deals.

Are we really comparing apples and apples?

Old 04-01-2011, 02:52 PM   #77
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Rivet Anyone want to see more pictures?

Today I was listening to the greatest podcast ever, The VAP, while installing the second axle. If you don't listen to the VAP, you should if you want to learn some good stuff. I was finished installing the second axle before the podcast was over. That is around 1:05. Not bad. No broken drill bits. No problems. I still have to obtain the correct mount stud for the upper shock attachment to the shock. I called Colin Hyde and asked for his advice on how to attach the shock to the axle properly. He took the time to answer all my questions with the greatest professionalism I've encountered in a very long time. Thanks Colin.

I know some of you are very apprehensive about installing axles and having to drill new holes. It is not a big deal. I slid the axle under the trailer and put it on two jack stands on either end. I then used a bottle jack and a floor jack to jack the axle into its proper position. On my trailer, at least, the axle tube fits very snugly into the slot in the axle mounting plate. There is no room for any fore/aft movement of the axle. I then drilled the four holes and installed the four new bolts and nuts that were supplied with the axle, torqued them down to German spec (Gutentight) and took a break of a day or so then did the same with the second axle this morning. Before I drilled the holes for the second axle, I made sure the distance between the axle centers was the same on both curbside and streetside. It was right on the money. 33 1/8" I'm sure that some people may be a little timid to do this on their own because of all the things you read about tire wear, safety and ease of installation. You can do this. It's not the space shuttle. If anyone close to me ever needs help with this, just ask. I'll be there to help you. It is easy. Now for some pictures.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0456.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	351.8 KB
ID:	125880Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0455.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	349.3 KB
ID:	125879

Name:	DSC_0449.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	125875Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0452.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	125876

Name:	DSC_0453.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	125877Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0454.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	125878

I won't have the shock mounting studs in my hands until next Tuesday, so until then, enjoy the weekend!

Old 04-01-2011, 03:05 PM   #78
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
Thanks to you and Wasagachris for the link to VAC.com. The information on the axles was interesting.

Also thanks for posting the pics and the encouragement. I have no doubt I can handle the installation but I have a very strong adversion to drilling holes in steel without a drill press. Maybe it's because I'm becoming such an OF that I want everything to be easy....

Anyway, nice job. Looks very good.

Finally, like you, I'm always learning.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:59 PM   #79
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post

I won't have the shock mounting studs in my hands until next Tuesday, so until then, enjoy the weekend!
You may be able to use this, if you are impatient:

Advance Auto Parts: Shock Bolt Kit Universal 1/2-20 - Qty. 1 by Dorman - OE Solutions - Part 31001

I've used these in the past when I've wrung off shock bolts on Airstream axles.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:01 PM   #80
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Thanks for the link Terry. I appreciate you helpful advice. I was in the auto parts store today looking for such an item. Unfortunately, there wasn't any intelligent life form in the store I chose.

I have my little plan to fix the shock mounting. It involves doing what Colin told me to do a while ago. Sometimes when you change your plan it isn't in the best way.

Tags
axis, axle, henschen, measurements, dexter axles