Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2009, 06:27 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Arcade , New York
jacking trailer

'71 31' Sovereign:

So with a pending axle replacement looming, where is the best place to jack up the trailer? It is going to have to be on jack stands for an indefinite period since I intend to ship one axle off to Dexter for them to use as a template.

I am guessing I just get a 2x8 board and run it across the trailer, jack up on the board and then put my jack stands on either side, just under the main frame rails. I would put one just behind the existing axles and one across the tongue so not all the weight is on the jack and I provide a more stable situation up front.

I think I remember reading that you want to jack up both sides of the trailer at the same time as best you can.

Comments or suggestions?

Thanks.
-Rich
1988 Chevrolet School Bus (Converted)
NY_Chairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:37 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
From what I've read here from the folks in the know, right on the frame in between the dual axles. Done this 3x so far and folks here were right, worked an no ill effects.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Hi Rich,

Not sure running a 2 by across the the trailer is going to do anything for you. If the jacks are on the frame all the weight will be on them anyway. If you look behind the axles you should have two tags that say "jack here".

An altenate might be to work on one axle at a time. Run the trailer up on a set of these then set jack stands on the rear frame and and the A frame (watch the propane line). May be a little more stable and it gets the jacks out of your work area. Have fun.....

NIB TRAILER AID Jack Stand, Flat Tire Ramp, BLACK - eBay (item 250437699635 end time Jul-04-09 04:02:41 PDT)
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
try these

I used 2 X 10's when doing mine 2 x 8 would be fine I just used what was here at the time. Four high with a set of two high in front for a ramp just pull up on them. Use a "wheel chock" if you are going to unhook the tow vehicle! When you have the trailer on the blocks you can run the tongue jack down and put some jack stands under the rear of the trailer. Then raise the front back up. This will help stabilize the trailer. You are not "jacking " the trailer with this method just using enough force to keep it steady!!! Mike
Ok Edit after posting. (( You dont see a "chock" in these pictures because the truck IS still attached to the trailer and the chocks are on the rear axle of the truck))
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0965.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	82931   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0971.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	308.0 KB
ID:	82932  

memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote