Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Is it possible to raise trailer through lowering axle?

We have a Safari Sport 22' with a single axle. Even though it is short, it is low to the ground and creates issues with sloping driveways etc. I read that Airstream had lowered axles to raise a trailer. It would be neat if we could raise our trailer an inch or two. Anybody know how to do this?
P and Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by P and Y View Post
We have a Safari Sport 22' with a single axle. Even though it is short, it is low to the ground and creates issues with sloping driveways etc. I read that Airstream had lowered axles to raise a trailer. It would be neat if we could raise our trailer an inch or two. Anybody know how to do this?
There are two ways to raise the trailer.

The first is to change out the axle with one having a greater starting angle.

The second, is to add shims to the frame and then weld the axle brackets to the shim. In that way you can add up to about eight inches. In the process, make sure the alignment is not compromised.

But, keep in mind, that the current axle tube will still have the same ground clearance as it presently has.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
You have two options...
You could put on 16" rims with higher wall tires. Or replace your axle with 10 degree greater down drop, thus raising your trailer.
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
OP, Google "Torflex Lift Kit". There is also a recent thread here on the success one member had with the kit. Search "Torflex".

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Thanks. Those suggestions are very helpful. We already looked into the bigger rim and tire idea and it wasn't possible with the wheel clearance on our Safari Sport. There is very little clearance as it is, so this is another reason to raise the trailer a bit.

I will look into the ideas and post the results and actions.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The Sport has a different starting angle on the axle. You can probably gain some grond clearance by getting an axle with the 22.5 degree down starting angle. I remember the starting angle as b eing 10 degrees up on Sports.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
What is the starting angle of your current axle? Flexiride has adjustable torsion arms with splines. You can adjust them in about 30 minutes, if you are slow. You don't want the starting angle any more than 45 degrees down, at the most.
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:42 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
I have contacted the local Airstream dealer in Central Texas and they are willing to install the Torflex system, so I now have one on order. I will keep you posted. Thanks.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Just for reference, the original GYM 15" tires are 28.3" in diameter when new and the 16" Michelin LT225/75R16/E LTX M/S2 tires are 29.2" in diameter, so the larger tires would raise the trailer just under ½". The 15" Michelin LTX (P) 235/75R15 XL tires @ 44psi are 28.9" in diameter and would raise the trailer about 0.3" and would gave you a bigger tire contact patch for better braking and softer ride than the GYM tires @ 65psi. Neither Michelin is speed rated to 65mph like the GYM tires.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:55 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
I ordered the Torflex system as the Airstream dealer wanted me to order it. They installed it today and it required a bit of manipulation, but was installed for about $400. It did raise the trailer as expected (2.5") and the 40 mile drive home was just fine. Fortunately, my equalizer hitch could be raised about 2.5 inches to keep it level during transit. Very happy to lessen the worry of tearing the plumbing out with every speed bump or entry into a McDonalds or even getting it into our driveway at home. I will keep the dialogue going after I have taken it on a longer trip.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:46 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
We have now taken the raised Safari Sport on a short ride of about 100 miles and it tows great. We can get it into driveways and parking lots with much less worry. We did buy a short step to make getting into the trailer easier. So far, a great modification.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I am in the process of raising my Airstream 3".

I am doing this without a kit, just a little welding and fabrication. I think I might post a thread tomorrow night if all goes as expected.

I am trying to address some rear end sag at the same time.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:38 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
An update on raising the Airstream.

After a trip of 3000 miles and another couple of 400 miles, I am extremely happy I raised the Safari Sport. The only downside has been that I had to purchase a small step to augment the factory step. But, well worth it.