Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2006, 10:30 AM   #41
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLogger
Hey, I have been following the conversation for some time and mine is at 18" as well and in the positive position, I thought that this ment the axles were shot???
well, yeah. I think its ok for them to drop down a bit when you apply weight to them, but they should return to their starting position when you take the weight off. My torsion arms are more or less at "0" angle; when I jack up the trailer, they don't droop down at all. they're just stuck there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLogger
Are you not going to replace yours?? If not why and/or what are you going to do?
I'd love to, but I probably won't for a while, due to inadequate funding. Maybe if I get some sponsors on board...
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 01:05 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Columbia , South Carolina
I have not replaced mine yet but the wheels are beginning to rub and I want to be able to travel when ever and where ever so we have to have this done. If any one else has input I would love to hear it.

I don't know about yours Chuck but I have already seen some broken interior rivets and things out of place that should not be?

Does any one know what the max positive angle that you can go or when to say when? Also, how much do the shocks that are under the rig effect all of this?? When should these be replaced?
McLogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:41 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Maryville , Tennessee
I did measure and change. I have an Ez-Lift hitch mount with a series of holes for vertical adjustment. I moved it 2 holes up or about 4" and it is very-very close to being level.

I think it will be exactly level after I load the trailer with groceries, full LP tanks, tools, bungee cords and all of that other detritous I always end up taking with me.
trevisgardne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:47 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Maryville , Tennessee
If I had no intention of ever towing with a 1/2 vehicle, I would not have went to the expense of adding shocks to the Dexter install.

I think they are probably superfluous, but am going to defer to the engineering experts at Airstream.

However, Dexter also has some engineering experts and I am confident that they engineer, produce, sell and warranty more axles and running gear installations in a month than Airstream does in 10 years. Dexter did not recommend or recognize the needs for shocks on their axles for any application (including Airstreams). But they were glad to provide the mounts at my request.

I mainly replaced the shocks to keep any resale value with a very educated "Airstream Savvy" buyer
Old 10-05-2006, 08:13 AM   #45
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
You're correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevisgardne
If I had no intention of ever towing with a 1/2 vehicle, I would not have went to the expense of adding shocks to the Dexter install.

I think they are probably superfluous, but am going to defer to the engineering experts at Airstream.

However, Dexter also has some engineering experts and I am confident that they engineer, produce, sell and warranty more axles and running gear installations in a month than Airstream does in 10 years. Dexter did not recommend or recognize the needs for shocks on their axles for any application (including Airstreams). But they were glad to provide the mounts at my request.

I mainly replaced the shocks to keep any resale value with a very educated "Airstream Savvy" buyer
Trevis,

You are correct - torsion axles do NOT require shocks - even Henschen says so on their website.

However - be careful about this debate - some folks get very very upset about this issue.
axleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:28 AM   #46
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
"up 4"" is quite a change. But I'm still wondering how high the top of the coupler is, when the trailer is level, and parked on level ground.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:13 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Maryville , Tennessee
I'll check next time I get it on level pavement.

From looking at brochures and photos, I am pretty sure it is about 1 in above the "from the factory level". It had settled very low on the old axles.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:23 PM   #48
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi--Last week I had two Dexter #10 3500lb Torflex axles with 10" brakes, standard bearings, 22-1/2 degree down angle, with reverse brackets mounted on my 1973 27' Overlander, by Mutual Wheel Co., Milan, IL (309-757-1234 Ron Stone, Mgr.). The originial measuring is covered in my posts #7 and #9 of this thread. My installation was similiar to "trevisgardne", as shown in his great pictures in posts #31 and #37 also this thread.

The square axle is the same size as the originial Henschen, and fit into the A/S frame notch. The mounting holes in the A/S were 9" between centers, while the holes in the Dexter reverse mounted bracket were 8" between centers. The bracket holes were adjusted to fit the mounting. Although I do not believe shocks are required on Torflex axles, the shock brackets were removed from the old axles, and welded to the new axles (easy change). The shocks were also reused as they had been replaced and were good. An external gray water tank (this A/S did not originally have a gray water tank) had to be dropped, and remounted which increased the labor cost. Price of each axle was $404 (with no freight charge), and total cost with tax was $1274. My hitch ball height stayed the same at 19-1/2", but the A/S now rides exactly level, where it previously sloped down to the rear with the old axles.

I went to Mutual Wheel to have the work done based on recommendations by "63air" who previously had axles installed by them, and was very pleased with their work ethic, and attitude. The price I paid, was the price I was quoted.

The 90 mile trip back home with the new axles was very smooth, but it will get the 1000 mile test, next month.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:27 PM   #49
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
I've been following this thread for some time and, since it is time to change the axles on my '69 Sovereign, I have followed the hints and called the closest Dexter supplier (RedNeck RV, in OK) and got the recommendation of a dealer in my Area that will do the order and install. My ballpark price is $355 for each axle and total labor of approximately 5 hours at $50 per hour. I will be visiting the local dealer to set up the deal in the next few days. Will have to wait till after the first of the year to get it done, unless of course Santa Claus leaves me a big check. Maybe now I can stop worrying so much about popping rivets, frame separation, bouncing Televisions etc. One more step towards a livable Airstream.
cheers, bill b.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:28 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilby05
I have followed the hints and called the closest Dexter supplier (RedNeck RV, in OK) and got the recommendation of a dealer in my Area that will do the order and install. My ballpark price is $355 for each axle and total labor of approximately 5 hours at $50 per hour. I will be visiting the local dealer to set up the deal in the next few days. One more step towards a livable Airstream.
cheers, bill b.
Bill,

Good for you - please keep us posted on your progress.

Additionally, Dexter is the largest manufacturer of axles in the USA. With over 300 service centers across the country - you're in good hands.

Best Regards,
Henry
axleman is offline   Reply With Quote