Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2002, 09:35 AM   #1
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
How To Balance Running Gear

Want to see how you can properly balance the trailer hub and drum, tire and wheel assembly? To find out, visit our web site, inlandrv.com Click on photos and then "wheel balancing." Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 10:21 PM   #2
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Question Different balancing types?

I looked at the articles on your Website (www.inlandrv.com) and noticed the type of balancing you are talking about is not the typical wheel balancing and that's it...

Can a typical tire store perform the type of balancing you are talking about? What if they balance the wheels on a computer controlled balancing machine?

I have a 1961 Bambi with a new Henschen Dura Tourqe axle. Do I also need to balance more than just the tires?

Thanks,

The other "web" Andy
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 08:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Andy (the other one). 16 foot or 34 foot, doesn't matter. The law of "Physics" says, if it turns or rotates, it must be in balance. If not, damage of some sort or other "WILL" occur. When, depends on the road conditions, (smooth, choppy), speed, and tire temperature. The myth of not needing a complete balance has been perpetuated all too long. NO ONE, I have "ever" heard of, would dare drive their tow vehicle with unbalanced running gear. So why is the Airstream trailer different? It's really not. There are stories, wives tales, myths, prognostications, and "who cares." But the hard cold fact remains that NO Airstream trailer ever built is immune from damage caused by unbalanced running gear. I have repaired and/or rebuilt Airstream trailers for over 36 years that have been subjected to unnecessary vibration caused by "improper" running gear balance. Todays cost to rebuild or repair the resulting damage runs from just a few dollars, because the cause was discovered and corrected early, to several thousand dollars, due to major structural damage, such as frame and shell failures. AND, the real bad news, it that an insurance company will NOT pay for any long term damage, such as that caused by vibration. If Airstream owners insist that proper wheel balancing is not necessary, it's OK with us. But it sure has kept our shop in Corona busy, for over 16 years. Decisions, decisions. Andy
Old 04-11-2002, 12:48 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Andy, is the reason for this type of balance because the drum isn't balanced because of the electric brakes? If so, why can't they balance the drums & running gear, so you could just balance the wheel & tire. Do all TT's including other brands have this same requirment? That procedure looks like it would cost a fortune.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 08:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Jim. Why the manufacturers of the drum don't balance them, is a good question. I don't have an answer. The fact still remains that if balancing is not done properly, the trailer will suffer. How much depends on the amount of unbalance and the type of suspension system, guaranteed.
A customer came in yesterday and offered as a suggestion, a different meaning for WBCCI.

W= WHY
B= BELIEVE
C= COMPLAIN
&
C= CRY
I= INCESSANTLY

Hmmmm. Fruit for thought. The equipment that we have for suspension systems is secondary. What we MUST do to operate it properly, is primary. Not liking the facts is OK, but the cold fact is, if you don't balance correctly, damage WILL occur. PERIOD.
Some things in life are difficult or impossible to accept. It looks like balancing the running gear, properly, on travel trailers holds a close second to TAXES.
Andy
Old 04-12-2002, 09:28 AM   #6
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Andy,

What is the typical cost per tire to do the wheel+drum balancing as you have described on your web site??
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 09:40 AM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Andy,
I know you have convinced me regarding the critically in balancing. But looking at your page, I'm wondering who, other than you, does this kind of balancing? Has anyone taken your directions to dealers who do balancing? It's one thing to know the proper method....it's another to find someone who will do this procedure. If I knew I could find someone, I'd do it in a second.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 10:18 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Jack. Way back then, 1969 to 1973, will I was with Caravanner Insurance, if I remember correctly, I had Bill Thomas buy that type balancer. However, many truck tire centers can also balance the tire, wheel, hub and drums as an assembly. Andy
Old 04-12-2002, 10:43 AM   #9

Fenton , Missouri
Great! Glad to hear that. I'll ask the question and get this done up at his place. Thanks for the information.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 04-12-2002, 11:50 AM   #10
John

Andy-- I called two local truck tire center and both said that their equipment was too large to be used on a travel trailer.
I then called four local RV dealers and all do not balance tires on the trailer.
You referred someone to Bill Thomas. Is he in St. Louis??
Tks,John
Old 04-12-2002, 12:00 PM   #11
John

This is per my local AS dealer service dept., " we do not do any balancing here, we just send the tires to a local tire shop for balancing. I never heard of them being balanced on the trailer".

Andy I think you have a great way of balancing the assembly but it doesn't look like many others do.

John
Old 04-12-2002, 01:45 PM   #12

Fenton , Missouri
John,
Bill Thomas Camper Sales is the local Airstream dealer for the St. Louis area. His web page is
www.btcamper.com

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 04-12-2002, 02:43 PM   #13
John

I spoke with AS tech support about this and he said that AS, on production units, has the tire and wheel balanced prior to installation. He also stated that the axle manuf. provides a balanced assembly, therefore balancing on the trailer is not needed.

That made me think about why would Andy strongly recommend this and I guess it's his experience with units that have some miles on them compared to the factory which is sending out new balanced units. Since things wear out and get out of balance, I guess it's cheaper to pay now then later!!!
Old 04-12-2002, 05:42 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Brett. We charge .3 hours per steel wheel assembly and .4 hours per mag wheel assembly, plus the lead. Andy
Old 04-12-2002, 05:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
John. Would be so kind to tell me who you talked with at Airstream? Andy
Old 04-12-2002, 06:02 PM   #16
John

Sorry Andy, I didn't get his name.
John
Old 04-13-2002, 05:53 AM   #17
John

Andy-- Could you please share how much .3/.4 hrs converts into dollars?
Tks,
John
Old 04-13-2002, 11:55 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
John. Shop labor rates are different all over the country. If a shop has a rate of $70.00 per hour and the flat rate is .5 hours, then they would charge $35.00. Quoting dollars is very misleading. Quoting hours is used by all insurance companies. It is the only way a comparison can be made. Andy
Old 04-13-2002, 01:15 PM   #19
John

Andy- You made another excellent point! Many times when going to a dealer for service, we truly don't know if the price we're paying is actually fair. Know the flat rate prior and knowing your dealer's shop rate, one is now informed whether or not it's a fair price.
Tks Again,
John
Old 05-04-2002, 07:57 AM   #20

Snap-On no longer makes the static wheel balancing equipment that Inland RV has in their shop.

I've checked with numerous other suppliers of tools and wheel balancing equipment and apparently no other vendor has any such new equipment available. I've also looked into the "on chassis" spin balance equipment that we had in our Goodyear stores in the early to mid 70s and found none, except for a couple of tire/alignment shops that were unwilling to part with the old "on chassis" spin balance units they own.

My family is no longer in the tire business, but I have tapped a friend of mine who is a service manager for Bridgestone/Firestone and so far he has been unable to find any wheel balancing equipment that can balance the 15" tire/wheel/hub/drum assemblies for AS trailers.

So it appears to me that the only options are to go to a shop which has static tire balancing equipment for balancing complete assemblies such as Inland RV, locate a tire/alignment shop with the old "on chassis" spin balance equipment, or acquire new drums you can be confident about the balance of and have the tire/wheel assemblies balanced conventionally.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote