Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-07-2015, 08:54 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
How can you tell/know?

What axle(s) you currently have?

If said axle(s) are original or replacement?

What hubs you have? (so seals can be ordered before opening them up)

What brakes you have? (so new shoes can be ordered)

Sorry if this is repetition, I searched and got tired. I like one stop shopping, so hopefully this will work.

Thanks beforehand!
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
1. Should be a label on the axle.
2. ?
3. If worse comes to worse you can pull one and go to any auto parts store and buy them. I have found NAPA to be very good for that.
4. See #3

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Very good, thanks!

In 1971 my first vehicle was a 1941 Ford pickup. The adventures of resurrecting an abandoned and neglected 40 year old AS that was slightly abused by most likely nice people with tools is bringing back memories.

Some are mechanics, others are nice guys with tools.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Another potentially goofy axle question ...

Supposedly when a torsion axle is loaded (bearing weight, as in under a trailer holding the trailer up) the rubber inside eventually takes a "set", or ~sags~ from the weight. Which in turn gives us reason to change them.

But what happens if the axle is not loaded? The tires are hanging down dangling thier toes in the air.

What effect (if any) would unloading an axle that has taken a set have on the set? Visualize axle CPR, or occupational therapy.

Would giving the axle a vacation prolong its life?

Or would the torsion rubber inside freak out and break causing the wheels to fall to the ground or worse while towing?
Old 07-14-2015, 04:47 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

If the axle has taken a 'set' hanging it after the fact won't help.

I always unload the axles during Winter storage, it does help extend their life, up to a point.

With our I Classic I feel it's important as we have a 7300lb GVW rated trailer with two OEM 3500lb axles. Every little bit helps.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 05:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgtrakr View Post
Another potentially goofy axle question ...

Supposedly when a torsion axle is loaded (bearing weight, as in under a trailer holding the trailer up) the rubber inside eventually takes a "set", or ~sags~ from the weight. Which in turn gives us reason to change them.

But what happens if the axle is not loaded? The tires are hanging down dangling thier toes in the air.

What effect (if any) would unloading an axle that has taken a set have on the set? Visualize axle CPR, or occupational therapy.

Would giving the axle a vacation prolong its life?

Or would the torsion rubber inside freak out and break causing the wheels to fall to the ground or worse while towing?
Torsion axle rubber rods, last about 25 years, but only if they are some what frequently used, like 2 to 3 times a year or more. If they are not exercise, by movement, then the rubber rods will most likely solidify.

However, if the entire weight is removed from the axles, when the trailer will be in storage for a reasonable period of time, then the rubber rods will last much longer. How much longer is not known, but information as to a longer life, if treated with zero load, says perhaps another 5 to 10 years. But that is engineering points of view, and estimates, with very little feedback. However, at least in theory, there is some truth to that opinion.

Once the rubber rods have taken a set, nothing short of replacement will correct that issue. When removed old axles are examined, the torsion arm never moves, even after a couple of years.

Torsion axles provide a soft ride for the trailer, which is a must, but not forever. Torsion axles are a great suspension system, but they do have a limited life. Twenty five years, and they are done.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Thanks Bob and Andy! Good to know it might be possible to squeeze a little more out of them, especially since they aren't recyclable.

Andy, is there a way to know an axles age, like a date stamp or something?

I read the axle write up on the Inland website, and on second evaluation mine are borderline (almost 0 from positive, so slightly positive). And this rig basically sat for a couple of years before I bought it last month. We want to winter in Texas, and hopefully I'll have it usuable before then (it's a mess). I'd prefer to change axles in Texas as where we are currently is middle of no where.

Also how does one become a "real" RV mechanic, as in certifiable? Endorsements for solar, gas, etc. In previous work incarnations I've been a radar/missile system tech, builder of houses, maker of cabinets, and stationary engineer.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Two more ridiculous questions ...

Convert to conventional springs?

Use the dying torsion suspension as host to an air suspension?

Comments ...