Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-12-2015, 07:06 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
2007 27' Safari FB SE
1995 25' Excella
Woodbine , Georgia
Help with axle replacement

I ordered new axles through Inland RV for my 1965 Overlander. They have arrived and everything matches up except for the bracket. The bracket is off set on the axle with a longer portion on one side of the axle and a shorter portion on the opposite side of the axle. On the old axles with the swing arms pointed rearward, the longer portion of the bracket was in front of the axle. On the new axles the longer portion of the bracket is rear of the axle. Inland RV's instructions said to install the rear bolt and to drill 3 new bolt holes for the front. If I align the rear bolt holes on frame and axle, it moves the wheels forward 6-8 inches which won't work. Does it hurt anything to mount the axle in the slot in the frame and drill new holes? This would put the longer portion of the bracket rear of the axle. Does this rear facing bracket affect the strength of the installation? I am attacing pictures. Sorry for the long post.Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	251.0 KB
ID:	242735
gamakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:48 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
When I installed axles on my 65 over lander, I had to drill new holes,& increase depth on notches to get axles to rest against frame rails. AS originally did not have them against rails on mine,so all of the weight was resting on frame brackets, not good! It was a major PIA! If that wasn't bad enough, I also had to extend mounting plates& put spacers to get trailer to sit higher , because I ordered 22.5 degrees axles. Once on ground it sat lower than it did before axle swap! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Imo, get the wheels where they should go and drill all new holes if needed.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Tell us about Inland's response. How helpful have they been?
Old 07-12-2015, 02:14 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1989 35' Argosy 5th Wheel
1979 rgosy 27
Danville , Vermont
IMO. Get the axles where they go and drill new holes. I agree. The bracket may not be the right one. Dexter only offers a side mount and a top mount bracket, with an option on the top mount for 1" lift. I am not familiar with your specific model and I cannot tell much from the picture. If you do attempt to place and drill new holes, be very precise. This is an easy place to intorduce an alignment problem when you think you are finished.
fordfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 02:40 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Englewood , Colorado
Had the same problem with a globe trotter axle I bought from inland. Once the sale has gone through they will not give advice. Bought $2400 of merchandise including a black tank and couldn't get any help. He was always in the back and would not return calls. Measure and redrill holes where they are needed as was mentioned. Found out afterwords that if you take your axle's to a trailer shop they can match them and save on shipping from California
Old 07-12-2015, 02:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
I had a similar problem almost 10 years ago when I ordered axles for our '64 Overlander. (See this thread) Axis sent me a new pair of axles, one of which had to be replaced because the drop angle was wrong on one end. They had the old axles at the factory to copy so they should have got it right the first time.

Then about 4 years later I ordered axles through Colin Hyde for our '74 Sovereign and had the same problem, which again resulted in Axis shipping two new axles. During one of my conversations with Axis I was told that some Airstreams have the longer arm facing to the front and some have it facing to the rear.

I would talk to Andy at Inland to make sure you have the right axles before you try to install them.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 04:08 PM   #8
Life long Airstreamer

1966 24' Tradewind
Lewiston , Idaho
I just want to give a shout out to Colin Hyde Restorations in the New York area who I ordered my axles through. I didn't have to take any measurements, I just told him the year and model and he knew exactly what I needed. That gave me a lot of peace of mind. He has ordered hundreds of torsion axles for Airstreamers and spent some time searching out the cheapest shipping for me. They fit perfectly though I did have to drill some holes.
korgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 04:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by korgen View Post
I just want to give a shout out to Colin Hyde Restorations in the New York area who I ordered my axles through. I didn't have to take any measurements, I just told him the year and model and he knew exactly what I needed. That gave me a lot of peace of mind. He has ordered hundreds of torsion axles for Airstreamers and spent some time searching out the cheapest shipping for me. They fit perfectly though I did have to drill some holes.
And just to be clear, it was Axis's mistakes that led to my axle woes, not Colin's.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:48 AM   #10
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamakai View Post
I ordered new axles through Inland RV for my 1965 Overlander. They have arrived and everything matches up except for the bracket. The bracket is off set on the axle with a longer portion on one side of the axle and a shorter portion on the opposite side of the axle. On the old axles with the swing arms pointed rearward, the longer portion of the bracket was in front of the axle. On the new axles the longer portion of the bracket is rear of the axle. Inland RV's instructions said to install the rear bolt and to drill 3 new bolt holes for the front. If I align the rear bolt holes on frame and axle, it moves the wheels forward 6-8 inches which won't work. Does it hurt anything to mount the axle in the slot in the frame and drill new holes? This would put the longer portion of the bracket rear of the axle. Does this rear facing bracket affect the strength of the installation? I am attacing pictures. Sorry for the long post.Attachment 242735
The brackets from 1965 are different from those currently made. In a nutshell, the square tube slides into the cut out of the axle mounting plate on the trailer. Depending on the new axles you have, you may have to enlarge the slot on the trailer for the tube to fit. You will have to do some drilling.

I'm sure a call to the vendor of the axles would be helpful.

Good luck.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:14 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Vail , Arizona
New axle from Inland RV

I did this installation a few months ago on my 1966 Safari 22 ft single axle trailer.
The main difference between the old axle and the new one is the orientation of the shock absorber. On my original axle, the shock was in a near horizontal orientation. The new one is in a vertical orientation.
For mounting the axle itself to the frame, I did grind out the opening in the rails slightly to allow it to seat on the frame members; I drilled all new axle mounting holes. I then ground off the welds holding the shock mount brackets and removed them. I relocated them to mate with the new shocks. The new shocks have a shorter travel. I positioned the frame so that the axle torsion spring was relaxed for max shock travel. I bolted the brackets in place to allow max shock stroke. Later I had the brackets welded in place.

If you need/want more detail, email me at Morganobenn@gmail.com.
morganobenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:40 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
2007 27' Safari FB SE
1995 25' Excella
Woodbine , Georgia
Axles replaced

First, thanks to all who responded--I was really nervous about starting this project. Several people asked about Andy's cooperation-I called him on a Friday and it was Tuesday AM when he got back to me. His info was extremely helpful but I regretted losing the weekend to work. Dexter reversed the brackets on my axles but Andy said they would work fine. I had to enlarge the cutouts in the frame from 23/4" to 3". I drilled new holes and inserted the bolts. I am so pleased with the ease of install. 1st axle took 4 1/2 hours--2nd axle took 2 1/2 hours. Thanks again for your advice--I can't express how much it helped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	243804  
gamakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:12 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Glad we could help you brother!

Godspeed!

Old 07-24-2015, 08:26 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I got Axis axles from Colin 5 or 6 years ago when I redid my Trade Wind. I had to drill new holes. Be very careful when you drill the new mounting holes. It takes a 1/2 inch drill and if I recall a 5/8 drill bit. When the bit breaks thru the mounting bracket it tends to grab. It will twist the drill out of your hand and it might even break your wrist if you are not careful. A big drill has lots of torque so be careful.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:01 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Leave that bit a little loose in the chuck,,,

It will suck when it slips, but this is better than getting twisted up by a drill.

#JustSayin...

Old 07-24-2015, 11:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I just used a 5/8 Roto Brooch or sometimes called a Blair Cutter in a 3/8 phnumatic drill, real easy it only took a few minutes, even if you are only drilling out a crescent shape to line up the holes
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:56 AM   #17
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Best money I've ever spent on cutting tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
I just used a 5/8 Roto Brooch or sometimes called a Blair Cutter in a 3/8 phnumatic drill, real easy it only took a few minutes, even if you are only drilling out a crescent shape to line up the holes
A few years ago I took Kip's advice and bought the Rotabroach cutting kit. It makes cutting 5/8" holes in steel a non issue.

The first time I installed axles on my '72 Ambassador, (yes I have installed axles on her twice) I used a 1/2" drill and a big ol' 5/8" drill bit. I got it done, but broke a few bits along the way and nearly broke my wrist.

I would recommend anyone changing axles to get a set of Blair Rotabroach cutters. It is $63 well spent.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:24 AM   #18
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by korgen View Post
There are only three sizes. Tell me the year and I can tell you the size. Axles are treated as such a mystery, they are not. The only thing that varies is the carrying capacities.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:28 AM   #19
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
a step bit will drill the hole in 30 seconds or less...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:31 AM   #20
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
A Rotabroach will drill it in 20 seconds or less.