Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2006, 05:41 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Safari65
Well, I sent a message to Dexter last night, asking if 32* is an available angle. They wrote back today, saying that that is a standard angle, and should be readily available to any retailer.

Brad
Brad,

That's good news! I thought the 32 should be offered. Good job digging in and setting things straight. Future folks that want to order from Dexter will benefit from your hard work.

The Dexter web site is the nicest, most informative, that I have seen from any axle manufacturer!

Thanks,
Henry
axleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:40 PM   #22
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Brad,

As a side note I would have some issues with a shop that doesn't have the data. Or isn't looking for it. The fact that you are doing the research and not them is an interesting situation. They are the professionals.

So if you brought it in and asked for a stock replacement and they went forward in their uninformed way, what would have been the result?

Then my next question would be ...... what else are they missing?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 07-21-2006, 03:52 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Henschen axles

Brad.

All we need is the trailer serial number, shipping address and a Credit Card.

That gives us all the information thats necessary, to order your axle the same day, that has a guaranteed perfect fit.

Boils down to how much time a person wants to spend chasing and figuring out the if's ands and buts.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:58 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Staunton , Virginia
Currently in the middle of nowhere, apparently...

For everyone that thought Aspen, CO was actually somewhere, I have to burst the bubble. We're a little downvalley from Aspen, and it's hard to find actual useful things, like trailer repair shops. This is a better place for finding Gucci or Prada. The first repair shop is 40 miles away, and didn't like the idea of ordering an axle that wasn't through one of their suppliers... thus Inland RV was taken out of consideration.
I would have gone with a Dexter anyway, to be honest. It fits just fine- I've been under there and looked at the thing. They just ordered it with the wrong angle, or no angle at all. Total price, driving away, will be about $690 for the axle that Airstream installs on their new trailers. I think my entire problem is that someone there doesn't know how to fill out a form.
The next question will be: Where to get load range D tires around here that the warranty will be honored nationally. Hmm... One thing at a time.

Brad
65Safari65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:31 PM   #25
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Safari65
The next question will be: Where to get load range D tires around here that the warranty will be honored nationally. Hmm... One thing at a time.

Brad
try www.tirerack.com
they will ship to you within a few days. They have Marathons in your size and oad range for a very good price.
You should be able to find a local installer, even in Aspen.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:15 AM   #26
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Brad,

Since you are mobile, why don't you wait until you get to anther location?

>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 07-22-2006, 01:52 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Staunton , Virginia
tires and such

Action,

I suppose we could have waited to do the axle somewhere else, but the next part of our "great circle route" will be bringing us to a lot of places that are a bit remote. Also, I think a project like this needs to have a lot of time built in for exactly what happened here.
As it turns out, the shop is doing a bit of research- they even called Inland, and were told it would be about $1250 for an axle. I have no idea how much of that is markup... I thought Andy told me about $850 for the whole axle, delivered when we sent a few messagees back and forth about a year ago.
Of course, you may have only been talking about the tire replacement thing. Ours are almost bald at this point- no poly showing through, but in definite need. I'd rather replace them here and just have the whole thing done, with a pretty good spare ready to go. Big O Tires is probably going to be the lucky winner, though I will take the suggestion and check what Tire Rack has to offer in local installers. I'd just like to get a road hazard warranty on all six tires that we have. I'm starting to sound like my dad...

Brad
65Safari65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 04:27 PM   #28
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Brad,

Your axle scenario makes me think that you're dealing with total idiots.
I dealt with Dexter on several occasions, and it took 1 order and 1 call to make VERY custom axles for my 63 Overlander, which fit perfectly short of the bolt pattern. Be firm - make them call Dexter engineering to get what you need. Their product is first class - most of their dealers are pathetically inept.
On the tires - tire rack offers a road hazrd warranty. The sandard Good Year warranty applies either way.
Best,