Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-07-2019, 04:54 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Land Yacht
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
I must be missing something. When we did my dexter lift kit this past summer, I don't think we jacked the trailer at all. We LOWERED one axle at a time using a jack. Took the wheels off of one axle with a jack under the axle. Marked the locations of the pickup points, and then fought like heck to remove the bolts holding the axle on. After winning the battle (including generous use of the heat wrench) we placed the spacers, jacked the axle into place and then installed the bolts. Filthy work that really required some strength and tools and patience, but not terribly difficult.

Am I blanking on lifting the trailer? I don't think so.
HappyHapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:18 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHapgood View Post
I must be missing something. When we did my dexter lift kit this past summer, I don't think we jacked the trailer at all. We LOWERED one axle at a time using a jack. Took the wheels off of one axle with a jack under the axle. Marked the locations of the pickup points, and then fought like heck to remove the bolts holding the axle on. After winning the battle (including generous use of the heat wrench) we placed the spacers, jacked the axle into place and then installed the bolts. Filthy work that really required some strength and tools and patience, but not terribly difficult.

The trailer has to be jacked up or one axle placed on ramps so you can remove the wheels. Without removing the wheels you can’t lower the axles!
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:53 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Land Yacht
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
Well, uhm, uh. DOH.
We ran it up on ramps to get it high enough.

I guess I forgot about that part! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billrector View Post
The trailer has to be jacked up or one axle placed on ramps so you can remove the wheels. Without removing the wheels you can’t lower the axles!
HappyHapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 04:53 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
BillRector, How did this project go for you. I have a 2017 28' FC and am thinking about doing the same thing.
WBCCI #6826
We have Year-Round Courtesy Parking.
MMCMRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:26 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHapgood View Post

Great technique there. Much safer than lifting the trailer at all.
pteck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:00 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMCMRET View Post
BillRector, How did this project go for you. I have a 2017 28' FC and am thinking about doing the same thing.

It ended up taking me a few days with occasional help from my wife. All in all, a doable project if you are reasonably handy. An impact wrench will help with the disassembly and a torque wrench is necessary for assembly. I also got a large ratcheting box wrench at Home Depot that fit the nuts. The toughest part is that there is very little room to work on some of the bolts.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:05 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
Great technique there. Much safer than lifting the trailer at all.

He is lifting the trailer to get the wheels off. However, I do not suggest placing a jack under the axle to lift the trailer as damage to the axle can occur. Once the wheel is removed, use another jack (or the original if you have the trailer on jack stands) and place it under the axle to lower the axle enough to fit the spacer in.