RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-07-2019, 05:54 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member
 
2015 28' Land Yacht
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 159
I must be missing something. When we did my dexter lift kit this past summer, I don't think we jacked the trailer at all. We LOWERED one axle at a time using a jack. Took the wheels off of one axle with a jack under the axle. Marked the locations of the pickup points, and then fought like heck to remove the bolts holding the axle on. After winning the battle (including generous use of the heat wrench) we placed the spacers, jacked the axle into place and then installed the bolts. Filthy work that really required some strength and tools and patience, but not terribly difficult.

Am I blanking on lifting the trailer? I don't think so.
HappyHapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:18 PM   #22
Rivet Master
 
billrector's Avatar
 
2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHapgood View Post
I must be missing something. When we did my dexter lift kit this past summer, I don't think we jacked the trailer at all. We LOWERED one axle at a time using a jack. Took the wheels off of one axle with a jack under the axle. Marked the locations of the pickup points, and then fought like heck to remove the bolts holding the axle on. After winning the battle (including generous use of the heat wrench) we placed the spacers, jacked the axle into place and then installed the bolts. Filthy work that really required some strength and tools and patience, but not terribly difficult.



Am I blanking on lifting the trailer? I don't think so.


The trailer has to be jacked up or one axle placed on ramps so you can remove the wheels. Without removing the wheels you canít lower the axles!
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:53 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member
 
2015 28' Land Yacht
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 159
Well, uhm, uh. DOH.
We ran it up on ramps to get it high enough.

I guess I forgot about that part! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billrector View Post
The trailer has to be jacked up or one axle placed on ramps so you can remove the wheels. Without removing the wheels you canít lower the axles!
HappyHapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 05:53 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member
 
2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 55
BillRector, How did this project go for you. I have a 2017 28' FC and am thinking about doing the same thing.
__________________
Todd Mizer
2021 25' FBT Flying Cloud
Ford F-250 6.7L
WBCCI #6826
MMCMRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:26 PM   #25
Rivet Master
 
2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHapgood View Post
I must be missing something. When we did my dexter lift kit this past summer, I don't think we jacked the trailer at all. We LOWERED one axle at a time using a jack. Took the wheels off of one axle with a jack under the axle. Marked the locations of the pickup points, and then fought like heck to remove the bolts holding the axle on. After winning the battle (including generous use of the heat wrench) we placed the spacers, jacked the axle into place and then installed the bolts. Filthy work that really required some strength and tools and patience, but not terribly difficult.

Am I blanking on lifting the trailer? I don't think so.
Great technique there. Much safer than lifting the trailer at all.
__________________
Boondocking Rig: '07 27FB Ocean Breeze "See Turtle"
Lexus LX570 on 33's - $1k 300Ah Lithium Upgrade - Tongue Mount Honda eu2200i - Rear Hitch - Underbelly Storage - Blizzard NXT w/ EasyStart - 3" Lift
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:00 AM   #26
Rivet Master
 
billrector's Avatar
 
2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMCMRET View Post
BillRector, How did this project go for you. I have a 2017 28' FC and am thinking about doing the same thing.


It ended up taking me a few days with occasional help from my wife. All in all, a doable project if you are reasonably handy. An impact wrench will help with the disassembly and a torque wrench is necessary for assembly. I also got a large ratcheting box wrench at Home Depot that fit the nuts. The toughest part is that there is very little room to work on some of the bolts.
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:05 AM   #27
Rivet Master
 
billrector's Avatar
 
2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
Great technique there. Much safer than lifting the trailer at all.


He is lifting the trailer to get the wheels off. However, I do not suggest placing a jack under the axle to lift the trailer as damage to the axle can occur. Once the wheel is removed, use another jack (or the original if you have the trailer on jack stands) and place it under the axle to lower the axle enough to fit the spacer in.
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should i lift the shell or not lift the shell.. prettybrent Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame 19 09-04-2016 11:13 AM
1997, 34ft Classic: To Lift, or Not To Lift (its shell) mattler General Repair Forum 4 10-16-2015 11:40 PM
Air 'Bags' - too lift or not to lift JourneytoRet Flat-Front (Cutter, Clipper, XC, XL & Skydeck) Motorhomes 5 04-09-2013 11:09 AM
Help! Where and How to lift to block for permanent netlace 1977 Excella 500 17 10-14-2007 08:24 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.