Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2006, 12:02 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Cameron , North Carolina
Height of axles?

I'm trying to determine if our '63 25' Overlander has a problem with the axles. Seems like somewhere on some thread I read something about the wheel well shouldn't cover up much of the tire as you look at it from the side. On our a/s the top of the tires are covered up to about the top of the wheel, if that makes any sense. Also, I discovered today, while looking at the axles underneath, there is a sunk in place with a short rip of the belly pan just in front of the front axle. Is this an possible indication that there is frame damage? "so many questions--so little time". Thanks!
Glenn
gr63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 01:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr63air
I'm trying to determine if our '63 25' Overlander has a problem with the axles. Seems like somewhere on some thread I read something about the wheel well shouldn't cover up much of the tire as you look at it from the side. On our a/s the top of the tires are covered up to about the top of the wheel, if that makes any sense. Also, I discovered today, while looking at the axles underneath, there is a sunk in place with a short rip of the belly pan just in front of the front axle. Is this an possible indication that there is frame damage? "so many questions--so little time". Thanks!
Glenn

Go to our web site and ready the article about your axles.

In just a couple of minutes you can determine if they are good or not.

http://www.inlandrv.com/articles/dur...axle-92001.htm

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 03:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Sunk in place with rip in front of the axle is most likely someone jacking the thing up and got the jack in the wrong place. It is easy to do. By the way, never jack under the axles. It may crush the tube and disable the ability of the axle to twist and take up the bumps. I have a 1963 Overlander also. The are actually called 26 foot. I have original axles. They are still working. You should check the brakes and repack the bearings just to know you are starting fresh. Also check the dating on the tires. You do not want a blow out.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 08:18 PM   #4
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
When I bought my 63 Overlander, the axles looked fine, but had no springing action left in the rubber rods. The angle of the torsion arms looked good, but the rubber rods the give the suspension it's comfort were completely brittle.
So, determining axle condition by means of torsion arm angle only is not a 100% solution on the 60's trailers with early torsion axles.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:39 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
Hello Glenn
Read Andy's info on axles first to determine if your trailing arms are OK (positive angle), then jack the trailer up (make sure to put the jack between the wheels on the frame) and check to see if the wheels drop slightly when lifted off the ground. This will help determine if the rubber in the axle has taken a set. No drop=probably bad axles. Slight drop and positive angle on trailing arms=probably good axles. My axles still had a positive angle, but, like Uwe's, had taken a set and were doing nothing to absorb shock. I replaced them this spring and what a difference! More than likely, yours will need replaced. There is plenty of info on this site about different brands, prices, installation, etc. --dave
Streamin 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 05:32 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Cameron , North Carolina
Thanks for help!

Thank you all for your advice on axles. Determinig whether trailing arms are positive or negative is kinda difficult, but I didn't see any noticable positive angle. In fact, they both seem to be just a bit negative if not level.
Thanks again. Hopefully one day I can offer help too!
gr63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 10:27 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
take a look here to see that the "fender" line changed between models, even with the same early 70s body styles.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...1-post122.html

you can see that the height of the skin is much different by looking a the location of the banana skin trim in the left side of each photo. I had these trailers for several years and didn't notice this significant difference until I started doing the Caravel axle.

So looking at the "fender" to wheel height is not a reliable indicator.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:30 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
Sebastopol , California
I went to andy's sight and read about the newer axles. I'm replacing the split rims on my 58. Just wondering if I need to balance the running gear or just wheels and tires on a leaf spring axle?
60's Iron is offline   Reply With Quote