Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2016, 03:54 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Orlando , Florida
Has anyone Seen or Heard from Colin Hyde?

Does anyone know if Colin Hyde is well?
I order 2 axles from Colin for my '66 Overlander 4 months ago. I still have not received the axles. I paid $1220.00 (shipping included). I can not get in touch with Colin. I have tried his mobile # and his email? I am not sure what else to do? Can someone please tell Colin to call Jim in Orlando? Thanks
Old 08-09-2016, 06:11 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Indianapolis , Indiana
I ordered an axle from him earlier this year and had the same issue. I got very little communication from him and he wasn't the best with returning messages. He'll eventually get back with you but persistence on your end wont hurt either.
myergin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Colin Hyde better take care of his customers or he won't have many. Customer communications are very important. You deserve an update on your order since it is overdue.

That said, I ordered axles from Colin in the fall of 2013. Delivery was about 6 weeks after order. My communications with his company were normal. The axles came exactly as ordered.

I've been following Airstream Life's Rich Luhr's summer adventures. He wrote about having Colin Hyde Trailer Restorations doing some work on his Airstream. So I assume Colin is working his tail off in his business.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Each time I have contacted Colin using the PM contact on this forum, he has gotten back to me in a few days.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/memb...in+h-6192.html
Old 08-09-2016, 07:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
If it were me, and I had paid out $1200+ four months ago for something I had not received, and could get no response from the seller, I would be filing a dispute with my credit card company or other mode of payment used.

Maggie
Old 08-10-2016, 10:41 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Orlando , Florida
This process started off seamlessly. On the recommendation of others here on the forums I went with Colin Hyde for new Axles. In the beginning Colin was very helpful, he took my order, explained the process and then took my full payment of $1220.00 over the phone. He quoted me a 4 week time frame. Eight weeks later Colin notified me via email that my axles were ready to ship. ( I don't think that the original manufacturer's 4 week delay was Colin's fault.) I was very disappointed that I was not able to receive and install my new axles in time for my summer trip- but life goes on.

I left on my cross country trip with my old axles in tow week of June 1rst. 2016 (I Had to rebuild bearing brakes etc on old axles $250.00+- this was not the plan.) On the day that I placed my axle order, I notified Colin of my upcoming travel plans that were 8 weeks away. when I returned from my trip I provided Colin a commercial shipping address like he requested.
It has now been 16 weeks and I still have no axles. Maybe Colin has been out on the road? at rallies ?or off the grid somewhere? I will keep trying- As a public High School Teacher,I really cant afford to give away $1220.00.
At this point I don't want to assign blame or point fingers- I just want my axles or a refund from Colin Hyde.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:58 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
1967 26' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
Savannah , Georgia
I am having the same problem. Ordered and paid for two new axles for my 67 Overlander in May. I absolutely needed them by June. It is now August and no axles. Multiple calls to his phone just get me a full mailbox message. Emails are unanswered. I am getting really frustrated as have got to move the trailer from IN to GA next month. Any ideas??? In the past he has been very responsive. Could something be seriously wrong?
beatrix1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:47 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
1964 24' Tradewind
1956 18' "Footer"
Southern , Minnesota
I've had nothing but great response time from Colin. I use his business email and he always responds within a day or two. I ordered an axle from him/Axis this Spring and the transaction was flawless and timely. He was on the VAP Wed night so I assume business is booming and his voicemail is full. Let's not rail a great guy.
GR8DANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Call the axel company and see if they have been ordered.
Call the BBB or police where he is located for information as to his where abouts.
Check with a MOD as they may have info; but DON'T try him here. I thought that was a rule of the AF.
Mike
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 01:26 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966Florida View Post
Does anyone know if Colin Hyde is well?
I order 2 axles from Colin for my '66 Overlander 4 months ago. I still have not received the axles. I paid $1220.00 (shipping included). I can not get in touch with Colin. I have tried his mobile # and his email? I am not sure what else to do? Can someone please tell Colin to call Jim in Orlando? Thanks
I spent a lot of time researching axles for my '67. Not wanting to drop down to 10" brakes I wound up ordering 3,500lb Dexter axles from Inland RV who were able to deliver to a local Dexter distributor within 2 weeks. I had to drive about 60 miles with my utility trailer to pick them up and there was no problem. 10 minutes to load and sign and I was back on the road. The axles were fully assembled except for the shock bracket and came with all new hardware including lug nuts. We had to drill new bolt holes and do a slight mod on the mounting plates on the trailer which took very little time and welded the shock brackets on in about 20 minutes. I hired a local heavy trailer repair shop to do the work as I was not physically able to do it myself and they were very much better equipped. Total was approx $2,500 including new shocks and shop time.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 01:55 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Guess I got lucky doing business with Colin. I ordered and received my Bambi II axle thru him. From first phone call to receipt was five weeks. He was very responsive to phone calls and a couple of emails. The shop that did the install had a couple of questions about the shock placement. They gave him a call and he answered all their questions. Times change and maybe he has personal issues these days. Good luck to all.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:34 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Temple , Texas
4 months waiting for axles already paid for is unacceptable. How do you folks that say Mr. Hyde is such a great guy explain this? The fact that he will not respond to the customer's attempts to contact him is even more concerning. This is no way to treat people. I was considering ordering new axles from Mr. Hyde, but may look at other options.
TxDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:11 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Fortunetly we still live in a free enterprise society where consumers can spend their hard earned cash where and as they see fit. Sounds like Mr. Hyde may currently not be the best choice.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 08-10-2016, 06:24 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Milford , New Hampshire
I ordered my axles in May and they were in his shop in early July. We brought our AS to his shop and he dropped everything to get them installed the same day. Spent the night in his driveway and went home happy. Great guy to work with!
Found the best time to reach him or leave a message is on a Monday morning. No office staff sitting around answering phones.
NHdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:35 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHdigger View Post
I ordered my axles in May and they were in his shop in early July. We brought our AS to his shop and he dropped everything to get them installed the same day. Spent the night in his driveway and went home happy. Great guy to work with!
Found the best time to reach him or leave a message is on a Monday morning. No office staff sitting around answering phones.

Curious, what size operation, shop, staff does he have? I got the impression that it was basically a one man shop when I as dealing with him almost 5 years ago.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:24 AM   #16
Jeff I

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1964 22' Safari
Hammondsport , New York
Colin Hyde not responsive

I ordered and paid for a single axle for my 64 Safari from Colin on June 28th. He said 3-4 weeks. I have been trying to get an update from him for three weeks now via phone and email with no response. I called Dexter Axle on August 5th and was able to track down my order which had been finished the day before. That means their current manufacturing time at a division called Industrial Axle for a single axle was closer to 6 weeks. They told me they couldn't ship it because Colin arranges the shipping. (They also told me they could only ship to one of their distributors if they happened to have a truck going there so that wasn't an option.) They said they would pass my call on to Colin's salesperson. So far no communication this week.
J Ingersoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:11 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
After Doug died and I was settling his estate, one of the outstanding issues was a custom pistol he had put a sizeable deposit on 2 1/2 years prior.

He had written the gunsmith several times over the prior year or so, regarding the status of his pistol, with no response.

I called them, left messages, and emailed them several times, advising of his death, cancelling the order and requesting a refund to our Visa account....no response whatsoever.

After a couple of weeks, I opened a dispute with Visa, sending the email communications. I then received an email within a day or two, advising the pistol had not yet been started as they were "having trouble getting parts", that their bookkeeper was on vacation and a check would be sent to me "soon".

When I asked for a general timeframe, there was no response, so I just sent this also on to Visa and let them do their thing.

Within a week or so of filing the dispute. Visa debited their account for the full amount of the check, even tho filing the dispute caused a refund check to be sent to me Priority Mail, and refunded it to me. The gunsmith then had to go thru their process to get it resolved.

One of the reasons I always use my Visa for large purchases is their prompt and efficient dispute resolution service. It gets a response when nothing else does.

It may seem a bit harsh, but I don't believe it is....I believe that a vendor who takes your money up front has an absolute responsibility to provide the goods or service within a reasonably projected time frame, respond to status queries also within a reasonable timeframe, and promptly issue a refund if what is promised cannot be delivered.

No one is that good that they have the right to take large sums of money...up front...then not deliver what is promised nor respond to inquiries.

In my opinion.

Maggie
Old 08-11-2016, 08:23 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Best not to trash someone until we know the whole story.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:45 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
I'd dispute the charge through your cc company. That gets a vendor's attention immediately, as it affects their relationship and can change the rates that they pay. I did that when I bought some Bilstein shock absorbers that were defective, couldn't get the company to honor the guarantee, and then received a refund.
It will take a month or two to get through the whole dispute process, unless the vendor steps up and takes care of the problem.
Andy at Inland sounds like a better choice for prompt service, based on comments made here.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:19 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Well said, Maggie.

In a world which hinges on communication, silence makes for difficulties IMO.

Very easy to resolve with a phone call or email . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote