Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2017, 05:44 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Girl View Post
I thought the same thing about the spread sheet.
I'd be happy to give you all the info from my new 67 Caravel axle.
It would also be good to have a set of instructions on how to make the measurements in case there are variations within a year. Or perhaps this already exists somewhere.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:55 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSmitty View Post
Same here. He has maintained/modified our trailer for four years now, and the work has always been top notch. He does travel (usually Airstream related), and sometimes can be a little difficult to get hold of, but with planning and persistence it's never been a problem. We're lucky to have him local (across Lake Champlain), and I'd hate to take our Airstream to anyone else.

Dan
Same here. Four years after buying our axles, we had an issue on the road. Got right back to us with advice that saved a lot of time and money.
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:34 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Here is the order info needed, I first went this route through dexterpsrtsonline but Inland beat the quote so I went with them.
This may be a better route though for those needing shipping and want trust in the co they are dealing with.

http://www.dexterpartsonline.com/fil...20Form%20a.pdf

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:47 PM   #84
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
I have decided to order my axles locally. I have a parts house that specializes in (boat) trailers but also carries car parts I have dealt with for over 30 years. When I bought bearings for my 25 and for my ProPride from them I discovered they buy from Redneck Trailer Supply, who is a Dexter Distributor. The axles will be delivered to their shop no charge. They will install them for me. I will be there to supervise from an Airstream perspective. Hopefully they won't charge extra if I help.

I will probably do my disc brake upgrade at the same time.

I haven't fully made this decision yet, but I'm thinking about leaving the shocks off. I have had one member here tell me they did and the ride was fine. Dexter says shocks are not required. I can believe that the spring characteristics of the rubber based torsion axle are different enough that maybe shocks are not needed. HAs anyone had a bad experience that was attributed to not having (or having bad, but not frozen) shocks?

Thanks,

Al

So this is my story. I got my my Axles from inland and picked them up from Redneck trailer supply. The shock brackets were not welded on, and I was worried about voided the dexter warranty buy welding them on. We have been using the trailer for a number of years, 2000+ miles, rows fines. I have the shocks and brackets sitting on the shelf waiting to be installed. No issues so far. I do plan to add the in the future...

The Shocks: They are more like dampeners. They slow the axles down in both directions, so I would guess you don’t get as much of the snap back effect from big bumps, or rolling over a curb.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:29 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflames View Post
So this is my story. I got my my Axles from inland and picked them up from Redneck trailer supply. The shock brackets were not welded on, and I was worried about voided the dexter warranty buy welding them on. We have been using the trailer for a number of years, 2000+ miles, rows fines. I have the shocks and brackets sitting on the shelf waiting to be installed. No issues so far. I do plan to add the in the future...

The Shocks: They are more like dampeners. They slow the axles down in both directions, so I would guess you don’t get as much of the snap back effect from big bumps, or rolling over a curb.
It turns out the axles can be ordered from Dexter with the brackets installed. It is option E-1492. Dexter told me to just write "Install Top Shock Mounts per E-1492" in the comments field of the order form. I'm going to order the axles with the brackets but wait on installing the shocks to see how it tows.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:09 AM   #86
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1966 24' Tradewind
Columbus , Ohio
Axle spread sheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza View Post
Colin took a month to reply with a question (my postal code) I had already provided the answer for in my email and phone message. I answered the question immediately and I never heard back.

Inland shipped me quickly.

As a group we should make a spread sheet of all the axles sizes and weights for all the trailers. Collectively we have all the right info some one needs to document it. Then we won't have the endless debate on the forum and people can order locally with confidence.
Let's do this.

I have two sets of axle info for a '66 TradeWind. One from a set from Inland, another from a set from my axle shop that were corrected.

Should be able to find the info for the '67 Safari we did, too.
Mtmanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:46 AM   #87
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2007 19' Bambi
Midland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
I have decided to order my axles locally. I have a parts house that specializes in (boat) trailers but also carries car parts I have dealt with for over 30 years. When I bought bearings for my 25 and for my ProPride from them I discovered they buy from Redneck Trailer Supply, who is a Dexter Distributor. The axles will be delivered to their shop no charge. They will install them for me. I will be there to supervise from an Airstream perspective. Hopefully they won't charge extra if I help.

I will probably do my disc brake upgrade at the same time.

I haven't fully made this decision yet, but I'm thinking about leaving the shocks off. I have had one member here tell me they did and the ride was fine. Dexter says shocks are not required. I can believe that the spring characteristics of the rubber based torsion axle are different enough that maybe shocks are not needed. HAs anyone had a bad experience that was attributed to not having (or having bad, but not frozen) shocks?

Thanks,

Al
I’m prepping to replace both axles on ‘76 Soverign. Saw your question on shocks versus no shocks. Don’t know about Dexter’s recommendations.

On our 19’ single axle, I discovered that the road side shock had never been installed at the factory. Ordered and installed one, and lo and behold the problem of interior rivets popping out was resolved overnight. Hasn’t been a problem since.

I ‘think’ Airstream has shocks on the axles for a reason.
racoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:24 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by racoco View Post
I ‘think’ Airstream has shocks on the axles for a reason.

I don’t always agree that Airstream knows what they are doing but they do seem to always be interested in saving money. If Airstream did not think that shocks were needed, I am sure they wouldn’t install them. As such, when I replaced my axle I installed new shocks. They certainly don’t hurt, and they probably help the suspension. The only reason not to install them would be to save money.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:38 AM   #89

1974 29' Ambassador
Blairstown NJ , New Jersey
I would like to compliment Colin Hyde Restorations and Manager Ellen for the excellent response to my order for replacement axles 1974 29ft airstream. They arrived in four weeks, measured exactly for my airstream (a 3/8 " grind necessary for new axle tube; exactly what was expected). They were installed by my local mechanic with no trouble whatsoever, Thank you Colin Hyde and Ellen for great service.
Edwin B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:02 AM   #90
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin b View Post
i would like to compliment colin hyde restorations and manager ellen for the excellent response to my order for replacement axles 1974 29ft airstream. They arrived in four weeks, measured exactly for my airstream (a 3/8 " grind necessary for new axle tube; exactly what was expected). They were installed by my local mechanic with no trouble whatsoever, thank you colin hyde and ellen for great service.

awesome
Old 05-31-2018, 10:46 AM   #91
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1966 24' Tradewind
Columbus , Ohio
Glad you had good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin B View Post
I would like to compliment Colin Hyde Restorations and Manager Ellen for the excellent response to my order for replacement axles 1974 29ft airstream. They arrived in four weeks, measured exactly for my airstream (a 3/8 " grind necessary for new axle tube; exactly what was expected). They were installed by my local mechanic with no trouble whatsoever, Thank you Colin Hyde and Ellen for great service.
I wish that had been my experience getting new axles. Happy for you.
Mtmanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:03 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
As I am getting close to needing new axles I thought I would revive this thread to see if he is still in business? And could do the swap myself if things are as folks say they are from him.

I went to his website and he is a very smart person as he does not post dates on any of his testimonies, or recent questions.
Anyone with current intel on his status? I am curious as he never ever replied to any of my info request in the last 10 years.....maybe with my attitude I should just look elsewhere when I think about it.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:24 PM   #93
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
2008 25' Safari SS SE
Austin , Texas
I bought and installed axles from Colin Last year. Colin is still active on http://thevap.com podcasts. Have you tried to email,or call him?
Old 11-14-2019, 10:06 PM   #94
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
I have not tried to email him since he shined me on and never responded to my questions 3 years ago. Hence my reason for asking now if he is now reliable or more of the same from years past.
His reputation has me interested, but am looking for real world recent experience so as to not waste my time as I did in the past.
It is interesting that website you post has changed from the one of past times.....

Glad to know you had a good experience...if I get a few more with your response I may consider contacting him again.
Thank you.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:10 PM   #95
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
As I am getting close to needing new axles I thought I would revive this thread to see if he is still in business? And could do the swap myself if things are as folks say they are from him.

I went to his website and he is a very smart person as he does not post dates on any of his testimonies, or recent questions.
Anyone with current intel on his status? I am curious as he never ever replied to any of my info request in the last 10 years.....maybe with my attitude I should just look elsewhere when I think about it.
We bought two axles from him last month. I emailed for a quote, heard back promptly, called in and took care of the transaction over the phone, 2 weeks later heard from the freight company, everything arrived fine, reassembled. Their kit they make to modify for those older trailers with vertical shock mounts was great, very well made and arrived well before the axles with clear instructions and all the hardware we needed.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:16 PM   #96
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Good to know, and I totally trust your knowledge and opinion.
Changes my mindset significantly.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:47 AM   #97
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
We have also had good experiences with Colin having bought two sets of Axel's from him and about to do a third.

Having said that he can be hard to get a hold of. Advising and ordering Axel's is not a full time job for him.

Maybe it's an organization issue or a plate to full but his expertise is beyond measure. He said he was going to hire a person for help but not sure that happened.

When we have reached him, between his work, restoration, the vap, family, kids, scouting, camping etc he is super personal and eager to help and share and been right on the money with all three of our vintages.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:04 AM   #98
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
2008 25' Safari SS SE
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post

It is interesting that website you post has changed from the one of past times.....

The website I listed was for Tim Sheppard and his Vintage Airstream Podcast, where Colin has been a participating panel expert for years. Colin's website is https://sites.google.com/a/colinhyde...ions.com/home/

If you do ANY maintenance to your Airstream, (vintage or recent), it is beneficial to listen to Tim and Colin's podcast at http://thevap.com/. It is entertaining and informative.

There are now 324 podcast episodes. Older episodes can be downloaded, or you can purchase a DVD set containing older episodes. There is a topic index that helps you find the appropriate episodes. I have learned a lot from both the podcast and Tim's book 'Restoring a Dream'. (good stocking stuffer) https://www.amazon.com/Restoring-Dre.../dp/1480280577
Old 11-18-2019, 04:38 AM   #99
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Has anyone Seen or Heard from Colin Hyde?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
...his expertise is beyond measure.

When we have reached him, between his work, restoration, the vap, family, kids, scouting, camping etc he is super personal and eager to help and share and been right on the money with all three of our vintages.

X2- Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 05:13 PM   #100
2 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Long Island , New York
My experience with colin also was a disaster. Ipurchased axles in 2014, and inquired about getting a lift for my excella, because the water tank on my trailer actually sits below the axle tube. Hearing he was the guru, we agreed on heavier axles and a 2 inch lift. The axles arrived in a timely manner, but specs said nothing about lift, of course I didn’t know what all the numbers meant. Tried to contact colin, no reply, so I decided to go ahead and install, knowing how I stressed the importance of the lift, they must be right. Well, there was no lift in the axles, which I found out after install, and no communication after. I was at the point where, after all the work getting the axles, and installing them, which was a major pita on this model, I wasn’t going to remove them, and have my trailer up on blocks for the summer, while waiting for replacement axles to be built. And the shipping to me was over $500, so you know that was going to be a battle. In the end, my fault, nothing in writing, everything was done over the phone with a credit card.
Dano73 is offline   Reply With Quote