Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2017, 11:09 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
following along to see how this works out. 7K vs 4.5K is quite a bit is difference in axle cap. is there a difference other than the cap. of the two axles?..

would 7K provide too harsh a ride vs 4.5K? my guess the brake hub is larger etc.

hope you get it worked out with Andy, they seem like stand up guys.
"stand up guys" ...? my interaction with him has been less than stand up.. lots of info on forums here ..
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:59 AM   #62
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Orlando , Florida
Sorry about this experience. If a vendor is going to use this thread to troll for business and continually try and sell the forum members axles, He must also expect the forum members to post reviews of his services EVEN things get messed up.

Thats just my honest opinion.

Regardless of who's fault this is ?? You now own a $1200 dollar set of axles that are useless. What are you suppose to d make a coffee table out of them??

VTS Please start selling Axles!- We would gladly give you are $$$$
Old 10-07-2017, 05:10 AM   #63
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Our local "big rig" supply store could have gotten my axle for me, same brand I got from Colin. The only catch was I had to fill out a form with the axle down angle, load rating etc... I had no clue about this.
They offered to measure it for me if I brought the trailer to them. The floor & frame was in such bad shape I didn't want to tow it over there.
Anyhow you don't have to go thru Colin or Andy. You can shop locally for axles.
I'm sure if you called the axle company directly they would tell you who their dealers are in your area.
Hope this helps.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:35 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
1966Florida

Some valid context in your post however,

They (Colin and Andy) don't use this forum and troll this thread constantly trying to seek us out to sell us axels.

We seek them out because of their vast incredible expertise and our lack of knowledge of the various vintages and axels.

As is sometimes the case with crafts persons maybe it's just their office abilities that are lacking.

Yes I have ordered from both locations.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:08 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I have decided to order my axles locally. I have a parts house that specializes in (boat) trailers but also carries car parts I have dealt with for over 30 years. When I bought bearings for my 25 and for my ProPride from them I discovered they buy from Redneck Trailer Supply, who is a Dexter Distributor. The axles will be delivered to their shop no charge. They will install them for me. I will be there to supervise from an Airstream perspective. Hopefully they won't charge extra if I help.

I will probably do my disc brake upgrade at the same time.

I haven't fully made this decision yet, but I'm thinking about leaving the shocks off. I have had one member here tell me they did and the ride was fine. Dexter says shocks are not required. I can believe that the spring characteristics of the rubber based torsion axle are different enough that maybe shocks are not needed. HAs anyone had a bad experience that was attributed to not having (or having bad, but not frozen) shocks?

Thanks,

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:07 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Al and Missy,

I read, here on the forums I believe, that shocks are not required on cars either but they sure do make the ride smoother....

Seeing as how we put a lot of breakable (not fancy or fragile) things into the trailer we may as well make the ride as smooth as possible, for the stuff.

Not like we'll ever know the difference in ride as were not going to do a Lucy and bounce​ around in the back.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:16 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Al and Missy,

I read, here on the forums I believe, that shocks are not required on cars either but they sure do make the ride smoother....

Seeing as how we put a lot of breakable (not fancy or fragile) things into the trailer we may as well make the ride as smooth as possible, for the stuff.

Not like we'll ever know the difference in ride as were not going to do a Lucy and bounce​ around in the back.
What I was saying is that conventional leaf and coil springs and the coil springs in struts have a different characteristic and need the damping effect of a shock absorber. I know how a car performs without shocks, but the manufacturer of the axle (Dexter) says shocks are not needed with their axles. Airstream puts them on, so I'd like to think there is a reason for them, but maybe it's just a holdover from when Airstreams had leaf springs. One member I queried about how he got his axles and how did he get the shock brackets installed responded that he did not fit the shocks and can't tell any difference in the handling.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:56 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
My opinion is that the shocks are going to give the trailer a smoother ride and keep the tire more controlled against the pavement. Have you ever been on a washboarded gravel road in a car with bad shocks? The vehicle can get squirrelly. Try it again with new shocks and it will be a much better experience. You can certainly get by without shocks but it is part of the Airstream designed suspension - to make a smoother ride.

Btw Dexter axle can be ordered at any Dexter dealership to any spec you want, you just have to know what to order.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:50 PM   #69
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Orlando , Florida
"They (Colin and Andy) don't use this forum and troll this thread constantly trying to seek us out to sell us axels."

Since I have owned my trailer (4+ years now) I have seen Andy on these forums multiple times trying to convince new Airstream owners to replace there axles and buy axles from him.

Thats why I went with Colin he did not give me a hard sell and was very nice and knowledgeable on the phone but I didn't hear from Colin for eight additional weeks so that didn't work out well either.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:37 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Well, Andy hasn't been on the Forum for years. Before his " banning", he offered anyone who asked his opinion an all things Airstream.

Did everyone agree with him all the time? No.

Did he misuse the Forum to sell products? No.

Did he give me honest advise on axle replacement, including appropriate capacity, need, and compatibility? Yes.

He should be retired and living full time in Hawaii but he goes to work most days. If you call Inland, someone WILL answer the phone and, if he is around, you can ask to talk to Andy.

I have never had anything but fine dealings with his company.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:47 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Colin Hyde Trailer Restoration

I've worked with Colin numerous times and have had nothing but excellent service and response.

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:55 AM   #72
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Colin Hyde Trailer Restoration

I've worked with Colin numerous times and have had nothing but excellent service and response.

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:17 PM   #73
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 20
Alpena , Michigan
InlandRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Well, Andy hasn't been on the Forum for years. Before his " banning", he offered anyone who asked his opinion an all things Airstream.

Did everyone agree with him all the time? No.

Did he misuse the Forum to sell products? No.

Did he give me honest advise on axle replacement, including appropriate capacity, need, and compatibility? Yes.

He should be retired and living full time in Hawaii but he goes to work most days. If you call Inland, someone WILL answer the phone and, if he is around, you can ask to talk to Andy.

I have never had anything but fine dealings with his company.

Andy sold InlandRV to a 'Michele' on Sept 29, 2017. He is no longer affiliated with InlandRV at all.

I found this out after 7 weeks of waiting for my new axle, then sending Andy a message asking about them.

Apparently, the OH branch of their axle manufacturer (Dexter, I believe they told me) 'lost' my order. A week ago, Michele told me the Illinois branch had 2 of my sized axles 'in stock', but I still haven't received them.
ozy6205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:20 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Hmm, wonder if she was the young lady in the front office? The only other visible person beside Andy and his wife while I was there.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:00 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Has anyone Seen or Heard from Colin Hyde?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
What I was saying is that conventional leaf and coil springs and the coil springs in struts have a different characteristic and need the damping effect of a shock absorber. I know how a car performs without shocks, but the manufacturer of the axle (Dexter) says shocks are not needed with their axles. Airstream puts them on, so I'd like to think there is a reason for them, but maybe it's just a holdover from when Airstreams had leaf springs. One member I queried about how he got his axles and how did he get the shock brackets installed responded that he did not fit the shocks and can't tell any difference in the handling.

Al

The shocks AS uses are not really "shocks" I think they are better described as two way dampeners.

I got Dexter axels from Inland. The shock brackets came separate, and I never welded them on. So the brackets and the struts are sitting on the shelf in the garage. Tows fine without them. Prob smoother ride with them.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:04 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
I have done business with both and I think both are fine. I hung out with Colin at a Tin Can rally, super cool guy. He really knows his stuff. But keep in mind his main business is restoring AS. Just keep calling, he will get back with you.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:43 AM   #77
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Colin took a month to reply with a question (my postal code) I had already provided the answer for in my email and phone message. I answered the question immediately and I never heard back.

Inland shipped me quickly.

As a group we should make a spread sheet of all the axles sizes and weights for all the trailers. Collectively we have all the right info some one needs to document it. Then we won't have the endless debate on the forum and people can order locally with confidence.
Monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:45 PM   #78
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza View Post
Colin took a month to reply with a question (my postal code) I had already provided the answer for in my email and phone message. I answered the question immediately and I never heard back.

Inland shipped me quickly.

As a group we should make a spread sheet of all the axles sizes and weights for all the trailers. Collectively we have all the right info some one needs to document it. Then we won't have the endless debate on the forum and people can order locally with confidence.
That is the smartest thing anybody has suggested. Empower the people my friends.
montanablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:26 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
I thought the same thing about the spread sheet.
I'd be happy to give you all the info from my new 67 Caravel axle.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:37 PM   #80
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jericho , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrosti View Post
Same here. He has maintained/modified our trailer for four years now, and the work has always been top notch. He does travel (usually Airstream related), and sometimes can be a little difficult to get hold of, but with planning and persistence it's never been a problem. We're lucky to have him local (across Lake Champlain), and I'd hate to take our Airstream to anyone else.

Dan
VTSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote