Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2016, 09:53 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Both men, Colin and Andy do a great job of running a small business with repeat newbie customers trying to learn Airstreams. They both have different communication styles and sales approaches.

We did email, forum and phone. Early morning phone worked best for us.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:02 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cold Lake , Alberta
I just did axles myself, and spent a lot of time looking for a good solution since vendors in Canada seem to have difficulty either sourcing for my Airstream, getting the right parts, shipping, or even knowing what I'm talking about. Based on a lot of people on the forum saying they had a hard time contacting Colin, I didn't bother, and called Inland RV. I painfully ended up paying a lot for shipping since it had to cross the border on a semi truck, and get shipping to a residential address. $700...ugh. Sadly, the total price with the low Canadian dollar and ridiculous shipping was less than purchasing locally (you're welcome, US Economy lol!). Surprisingly the axles showed up in less than a week! Everything arrived in good condition, fit and the job couldn't have gone better... Ok, maybe that's not totally true, there was some cursing. Not Andy's fault though.
Mikeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:29 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
I really appreciate the positive spirit here on Airforums.
But don't feel that reporting the disfuntion of a service provider is an act of trashing them.

If a small company chose to deal with their customers this way, the consequences are on them.
And probably the business will slow down to the point that they can start to give their customers the attention they deserve.

Or hopefully Colin will realize that hiring someone to deal with parts and communication would be good for his business.

Sorry to hear that folks here have been put in this position.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:25 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Has anyone Seen or Heard from Colin Hyde?

As a commercial vender I can say that communication is key to customer service and it can get very busy at times too... Since Axis axles is now owned by Dexter and being a Dexter dealer it takes 7 business day from order to delivery! I have order six axles in the last month and all showed up with in 8 business days or less from order to delivery... Dexter builds all axles to order since Airstream Axles due to measurements and drop downs are custom... So I'm not clear why people are complaining that it's taking so long...
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:24 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Springfield , State
Following as I need to order an axle. I currently have an email into Colin awaiting response. Thanks for all the information!
Scott P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:52 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I did not know Dexter bought out Axis. I wonder if this major change in business structure affected Colin Hyde's axle business. When I purchased mine, Colin explained Axis had the design and manufacturing rights to the original Henschen dura torque axles that Airstream started with back in 1962. Colin Hyde built a good business specifying and providing Axis axles to Airstream specs, "just like the originals".

I wonder if Colin Hyde Trailer Restorations is now a Dexter distributor? I am just speculating there may be problems making the switch from Axis to Dexter. My axles delivered in January of 2014 were Axis.

I think Colin Hyde has a pretty big restoration business in Peru, NY. He was always talking about this project and that project on the VAP. I hope he takes a look at his business customer communications.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:33 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Orlando , Florida
Axle Update

I spoke to Axis -the Manufacturer yesterday- My axles are sitting at the facility and have been waiting to be shipped. The Axis rep said that he would put in a call to Colin Hyde that was yesterday. Axis can not ship the axles because Colin has to arrange shipping.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:28 AM   #28
Jeff I

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1964 22' Safari
Hammondsport , New York
Colin called me yesterday to confirm shipping of my axle.
J Ingersoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:50 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
You all are crazy

Don't put up with treatment like that! Axles are axles. Call the Company or a reputable Company representing them....give em the info and in less than two weeks your axles will be delivered to you or your installer.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:53 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
J Ingersoll did you tell him to call the others or read the forum, 😉

Hittenstiehl
Old 08-14-2016, 06:34 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I was in Tractor Supply yesterday and noticed that they had Dexter axles in stock. I ask about ordering axles. They said no problem. Give them the specs, they will get a quote and estimated delivery time. Usual delivery time for them is two to four weeks. Was told they sell a lot for horse trailers. If you have one in your area might be a good source supporting a local business.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:15 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
1967 26' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
Savannah , Georgia
I finally received an email from Colin. He apologized and basically said he had dropped the ball repeatedly and my axles should be in Indy on Monday or Tuesday. They have been ready for some time. I will see if they show up. He also noted he hired an office manager who will now be handling orders and communications.
beatrix1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:00 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Thanks for the update beatrix. I respect Colin for taking responsibility for the delay in your order. And I hope an "office manager" can coordinate and communicate on all orders giving Colin time to manage his restoration projects.

Specifying your own axles for Dexter will be challenging. I understand Dexter has an order form that needs completing with accuracy. Let's see, what load rating, How big are the mounting brackets, where do you want the mounting brackets welded, what are the sizes and locations on the mounting holes, how about the shock mounts, what kind of brakes and bearings, what is the overall length of the axle, what starting angle, and on and on.

That's why Colin and Inland and other Airstream experts have the right spec for the right year and VIN of Airstream. There are a lot of differences.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:57 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
just wondering if you can get that info from Airstream factory? might give it a try in a couple months. Has anyone else called to see if possible?..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Thanks for the update beatrix. I respect Colin for taking responsibility for the delay in your order. And I hope an "office manager" can coordinate and communicate on all orders giving Colin time to manage his restoration projects.

Specifying your own axles for Dexter will be challenging. I understand Dexter has an order form that needs completing with accuracy. Let's see, what load rating, How big are the mounting brackets, where do you want the mounting brackets welded, what are the sizes and locations on the mounting holes, how about the shock mounts, what kind of brakes and bearings, what is the overall length of the axle, what starting angle, and on and on.

That's why Colin and Inland and other Airstream experts have the right spec for the right year and VIN of Airstream. There are a lot of differences.

David
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:34 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxDave View Post
4 months waiting for axles already paid for is unacceptable. How do you folks that say Mr. Hyde is such a great guy explain this? The fact that he will not respond to the customer's attempts to contact him is even more concerning. This is no way to treat people. I was considering ordering new axles from Mr. Hyde, but may look at other options.
I guess I was lucky. I bought from Inland RV December 2015 for my '67 Overlander mainly because I could not get in touch with Colin and needed a quick delivery. I would have been upset too if I had ordered from Colin and couldn't get my axles in a timely manner. Andy at Inland RV got two axles to me in two weeks (see my previous post on this thread). The installation instructions from Inland made no sense, but it was pretty simple to figure out.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:42 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966Florida View Post
I spoke to Axis -the Manufacturer yesterday- My axles are sitting at the facility and have been waiting to be shipped. The Axis rep said that he would put in a call to Colin Hyde that was yesterday. Axis can not ship the axles because Colin has to arrange shipping.
An additional note....When I bought 2 Dexter axles from Inland, shipping was immediate and free (two week delivery) to the nearest Dexter distributor in my area. (See my previous posts this thread)
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:31 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
1968 30' Sovereign
Salt Lake City , Utah
I can vouch for Colin--he's a great, great guy and extremely knowledgeable about Airstreams and vintage trailers.

He replaced axles for me and was super fast--but I took my trailer to his shop.

That being said, this sounds like some really lousy service. Sorry to read about your experience.
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jimbreitinger/
utahredrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:33 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
I have been working with him for the last few weeks on getting an axle. Just finished the order.

What some people don't understand in this "I want it yesterday" world is not all businesses are run like the big box stores.
I try to patronize the small place when I can. But you must be willing to work at their pace.
In Colin's case the axles come with the shock brackets all ready welded on. A simple unbolt and rebolt. Another reason to buy from him.
Inland's you need to take to a welder at an additional cost. Not to mention they are more to begin with.

Just my 2 cents
Old 05-24-2017, 09:31 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
We also need to remember that Colin doesn't just order Axel's for Airforums members who call him constantly with the same questions. He has a small business, the VAP, a family, camping, rally's, etc. He sure could use an office assistant. We have had good service from both Colin and Andy but sometimes who you can get a hold of works.

Hittenstiehl
Old 05-24-2017, 02:02 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
You can find Colin on the VAP podcast regularly.In case you did not know.

THEVAP.com
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote