Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2012, 05:47 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Dearborn , Michigan
So jacking between the axles is the recommended location. Where should the jack stands be placed while working on the axles?

Also, I sort of assumed that the jack point that Airstream suggested was a good place to put the stabilizer jacks, is that correct? What about jack stands in front, I have mine currently on the arms of the tongue near the body.

I have new stabilizer jacks for the front, where should these mount?

Thanks
Tom
Tom Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bray View Post
So jacking between the axles is the recommended location. Where should the jack stands be placed while working on the axles?

Also, I sort of assumed that the jack point that Airstream suggested was a good place to put the stabilizer jacks, is that correct? What about jack stands in front, I have mine currently on the arms of the tongue near the body.

I have new stabilizer jacks for the front, where should these mount?

Thanks
Tom
Tom.

Jack stand should be placed behind the rear axle, on the axle mounting plate, when working on the axles.

Stabilizer jacks shouild be mounted on the frame and cross members, that are at the ends of the awning rail, or the side sheet metal, which is really the same location.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:45 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Dearborn , Michigan
I tried to move the stabilizers so they line up with the awning mounts. The mounts for the axle get in the way. Sot the rear stabilizers are just behind where the axle mounts end at the frame, pretty close to where the little square piece that AS used to mark the lift point used to be.

To move the stabilizers further forward requires about a 1" spacer so that the stabilizers could be folded up to the stowed position.

Tom
Old 10-25-2012, 04:39 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The stabilizers don't replace real jacks. They can't handle much in the way of loads. They are more to keep the trailer from bouncing. Also there is a support beam that supports the nose of the jack. You move more than a couple inches forward or backwards and you loose that attach point? What was the motivation to move the leveling jacks?

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:59 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Dearborn , Michigan
I was trying to determine if the stabilizer jacks would go , easily, where Andy was recommending. They won't. The ones in front will be fine.

I try to get the camper reasonably level and do a minor tweak when I lower the stabilizer jacks. I also just installed a, new to me, power tongue jack. It replaced a pretty heavy duty and still manual jack. Between that change and having the camper up on jack stands while i replace the axles, I figured I would install the front stabilizer jacks.

Tom
Old 10-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #26
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bray View Post
I was trying to determine if the stabilizer jacks would go , easily, where Andy was recommending. They won't. The ones in front will be fine.

I try to get the camper reasonably level and do a minor tweak when I lower the stabilizer jacks. I also just installed a, new to me, power tongue jack. It replaced a pretty heavy duty and still manual jack. Between that change and having the camper up on jack stands while i replace the axles, I figured I would install the front stabilizer jacks.

Tom
Jack stands are not required when changing axles on a tandem Airstream.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:51 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Springfield , South Carolina
I concur fully with not using a jack to change a tire. I got a set of Rhino plastic ramps which are the best thing I have seen to date. Found out there are two versions of them.

First set I got was rated for 12,000 lbs at a flea market in Ohio. Then at another flea marker here I saw a set rated for 3000 lbs and I was going get them and came back on the way to the car a few minutes later and someone has "stolen them from me" haha.

At any rate I love the 12,000 pound ones and used them a couple weeks ago to change oil in vehicles. I put front end of 2500HD on them and left it over night with no warpage. They are light. I have also figured out they could be used as steps to get in AS.

They are far superior to the metal ramps I have had for years. I have already given away a set of metal ones to a kid in our church who just got his first vehicle, a small pick up. His Dad is starting him out right teaching him how to change his own oil, pack bearings etc.

I also got one of the bottle jack/stand combos from Tractor Supply and noticed they also carry the heavy duty Rhino ramps as well. I think the ramps were 44.00 and the jack/stand combo was around 25.00.
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote