Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2018, 08:41 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Do I REALLY need new axles?

By all accounts, my '79 Excella 500 is in need of new axles (at negative angle now), but the truth is... I'm not sure I really care... hear me out.

We tow with a '07 Mercedes R320 (diesel), have been across the US 3 times in 2 years, and even though our Airstream sits really low I actually really like the way it tows with such a low center of gravity.

I know we'd get better clearance if we replaced the axles (as much as 8-12 inches I'm told), which would be great in some respects (could finally mount that spare tire underneath), but I don't understand why we need new axles if we don't really care about clearance. As it is, we mainly town on paved and level roads, and have only "bottomed out" coming into a gas-station or something a handful of times.

So, I guess my question is this... if I don't care about increased clearance, do I really *need* new axles?

Opinions and advice welcomed!
trekerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:04 AM   #2
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
With new axles you might see a higher trailer by 2 to 4 inches tops. Or it may only be 1 to 2 inches.

Truth is you don't need new axles if you are not moving the trailer.

However if you decide to tow the trailer at distances over 50 miles and speeds greater than 35 and your axles are shot now, replacement would be highly recommended.

For better control of the trailer.
For better support of the trailer.
To reduce the pounding the coach will take at speeds greater than 35 especially on less than smooth pavement.
To reduce if not eliminate popped rivets, excessive twisting of body panels (that will create water leaks) and less stress on windows and the door.

Oh yeah and there is the ground clearence thing when going into or out of a filling station, a driveway or some high crowned intersections. But you knew that part already.

No you don't have to replace the axle. However your trailer would sustain less damage and last longer if you did replace worn out axles.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 04-13-2018, 09:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
You don't "really" need to change them, however, read the information on Inland RV's site on the axles. As Andy explains that is what keeps your trailer from shaking itself apart. Take the springs out of your tow vehicle and feel what the ride is like. That is what you are doing to your trailer. I replaced all 3 axles on our 1994 and couldn't believe the difference. Trailer sat higher and things didn't move around and no opened drawers and cupboards. No more popped rivets either!! Airstreams will last a long time if you do preventative maintenance, and regular upkeep. I inspected a 1983 Airstream in the fall that had axles in about the same negative angle as yours, and 12 ply bias truck tires on it, inflated to 80psi. Owner had patched the Skin above the entry door with a plate of 1/8" aluminum to cover the "crack" going up from the door, and the patch was now cracking. Rivets were popped inside and outside. This trailer was shaking itself to pieces!! JMHO!!
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:10 AM   #4
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
If the axles are original, and that's sounds like the case, the rubber rods that support the axle and provide the "spring" are almost certainly deteriorated.

Is it something you should do soon? Maybe not. Is it something to consider for the not-too-distant future? My suggestion is yes.

By the way you can order axles with a specific amount of down angle, maybe even horizontal or a bit of up angle. My point is you can have new axles, get the benefit of improved handling over bumps, and still have the trailer at the height it is now.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:14 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
The main reason for new axles, in my opinion, is to cure a rough ride that is hard on the trailer. Once the normal travel is used up, the system gets stiffer and ultimately hits a stop. Dexter says that the best ride is obtained when the trailing arm is horizontal at full load, but that may not be true for all starting angles.

The negative angle thing can be hard to determine due to the shape of the trailing arms. You have to eyeball the centerline of the arm, not look at the edge. The best way to determine axle condition is to jack a wheel off the ground and measure the drop. With the trailer sitting, measure from the wheel well molding to the wheel rim or center cap. Then jack the trailer and measure again. The difference should be around 2.25 inches. You get another 1.75 inches for "shock load" before you hit the stops. So the most you will gain if your axle is sitting on the stops is something less than 4", not 8 or 10.

I just changed my axles. The height only changed about 1.5 inches but the ride got much smoother. Before when the trailer hit bumps I could feel this shock or vibration transmitted through the hitch to the truck. Now with the new axles the trailer rides much smoother. Other than that, I didn't notice any difference in the towing experience.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
New axles are about $800 each with new brakes and bearings, less freight. The Dura Torque, or now Flex Torque, axles are the suspension system on the trailer. It works great. They may last 30 years dependent of several factors. A stiff ride is hard on the trailer for sure.

Here is a photo of my "low rider" Overlander axles. You can see the axle swing arms are at about 0 degree horizontal. The normal Airstream axle is 22 1/2 down starting angle. I expect to get about 1.5" ride height increase with my new axles. I'm a way away from mounting them up.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1801 Axles Bad Angle (Small).JPG
Views:	118
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	308663  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:06 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1948 16' Wee Wind
1964 26' Overlander
2007 19' Bambi
crossville , Tennessee
theres always the fun prospect of being miles from home and snapping a spindle because u have no suspension . those should be henchen axles . so some mod to plate will be needed to install torqueflex . also brakes are 40 years old , ever loose a brake shoe lining in transit ? wil make for an interesting day .
crestonrv is offline   Reply With Quote