Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2012, 09:21 PM   #41
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
Lets leave the mistakes out of this but I did speak to him after the seminar and he promised me that yes the rubber would loose its elasticity, "if" it is subjected to overloading. He also said that it would outlast most people, even with constant use, if it was kept within its design limits. Kind of like bending a paperclip until it breaks? I was surprised as I said but he was adamant....
Bruce
The sad part Bruce was that "Engineer" didn't wander over to my trailer where I had assorted old Henschen torsion axles cut up, along with demonstrator new axles that were also cut up. You can see the difference plain as day. They were also on the table for people to look at during my seminar. I wonder what his answer would have been for all the people who have problems getting their wheels out from between the wheel well & the drum. I typically have to let the air out of the tires when I go to pick up an old trailer in order to fit usable tires for the trip back to my shop. I also carry a compressor to pump them up again after installation. That being said, the axles on the trailer being discussed in this thead may still be usable prividing they check the travel after lifting the trailer up.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:49 PM   #42
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
This thread made me think about my CAT scale readings. I have a 2001 S/O 30 and love it. Mine was somewhat of a barn find too. I tried to scan my readings but it looks like this. With the trailer fully loaded, weight distribution installed each axle on the trailer came in at exactly 4000 lbs. I think they are 4300 lb axles so I know i dont have much payload. The visual is the key I think. Here is a picture of mine. The stabilizers are down but not lifting the trailer. You can see plenty of tire above the wheel and the axle angles seem correct when you look underneath. I also think about the axles when its sitting. I have two small 2x4's that I place under the axle plates to lift it about an inch to take some stress off those rubber rods. I dont know if it does anything for longevity but it makes me feel better.

Vinnie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream in backyard.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	161627  

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote