Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2011, 03:37 AM   #21
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
is that the stud that holds the shock that broke? That happens a lot. Make sure you cut a heavy shoulder to accept the weld or it will just snap off again.

Did they bolt right in or did you have to alter the holes to bolt it on?

I have a 66 here needing new axles and am curious if they actually bolt right in or if they need a little help to make that happen.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:28 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
is that the stud that holds the shock that broke? That happens a lot. Make sure you cut a heavy shoulder to accept the weld or it will just snap off again.

I have a 66 here needing new axles and am curious if they actually bolt right in or if they need a little help to make that happen.
Yep. Sheared the stud myself as well. Very frustrating. I had soaked it in PB, as well as the bolts on the axle frame. Those bolts wouldn't move no matter what, so I'm just cutting them off. As for the shock mounts on the AS itself, it looks like i'll be towing it somewhere to have all new mounts welded on unless I can find a welding buddy. (the one tool I don't own is a welder - but it might be on the list.)
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:29 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Not everyone has them, but I happened to have a bunch of bee hive boxes that were empty. I just stacked them up under the axles to support them as I was removing em. I would guess that well place bricks or jack stands would work as well.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:31 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post

yes that was the stud that held the shock. i'm going to grind the whole thing off then try to weld a bolt on there? we'll see what happens i borrowed a welder from a friend, i've never done any welding before but how are you going to learn if you don't try. right?

i had to drill four new holes in order to bolt the new axle on. colin told me i would have to do this, so it didn't come as a surprise. the one thing i had to do that i wasn't aware of was i had to get the axle in place then mark the hole then drop the axle back out of the way so i could get a good straight shot at a couple of the holes (see pic) but really not that big of a deal considering the $$$ saved...all in all it went really smooth. no big deal. the only thing colin didn't warn me about, was the fact that the whole process would have been alot easier if i was capable of bench pressing 250 lbs!!! lol...i'm a little stiff today from rolling around under that thing all day yesterday
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream 076.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	125132  
cojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:41 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwok View Post
Not everyone has them, but I happened to have a bunch of bee hive boxes that were empty. I just stacked them up under the axles to support them as I was removing em. I would guess that well place bricks or jack stands would work as well.
i hear ya! i had a bunch of 2x6 blocks, jack stands, a floor jack and a bottle jack. it all worked fine. alot like the proverbial monkey and the football when it came to dragging the old axle out and the new one in. but, if you know all the right words you can accomplish anything is what i always say! a concrete floor would have helped too, i'm sure.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:51 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
well i got 'er done! borrowed a welder from a friend...i was able to make it stick we'll see if it stays stuck. i probably shouldn't share pics of my very first attempt at welding with the group...but what the hell!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream 083.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	259.1 KB
ID:	125156