Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 07:43 AM   #161
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
looks great!

I installed the lift kit on our 19' Bambi but did not really want to tackle the dual axle 23FB, though it really needs the extra clearance. I just cannot find anyone around here that I am comfortable with knowing how to properly lift an Airstream. The 23FB has the complexity of having to remove the gas line.

Did you use an impact wrench when removing the bolts? Any clearance issues with the bolts and the tanks?

I may just wait to have it done on our west coast trip next month. The kit is gathering dust in the garage and I want to get this done.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:02 PM   #162
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
I had an impact to expedite the bolts that it could reach, but that was less than a 1/3 of the bolts. Seized bolts were not an issue for me (I'm in CA), and all came off without problems. One technique I love to use is a boxed wrench with a dead blow or regular hammer for stubborn bolts.

I didn't have any clearance issue with the tanks. They were all about 1" off the inside of the frame, hence allowing me to slip a wrench into the gap to hold the bolts.

The only mod I did to the kit, were the horizontal bolts coming off the lift block towards the tires. They were longer than necessary and close to the shocks, so I used a cutoff wheel to removes some length of the bolt after torquing everything down.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:28 PM   #163

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Dexter Torsion Axle Lift Kit

I used an impact and what a difference! I was able to get to every one, some from underneath, nut side, some from bolt side. No mods needed on mine.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:17 AM   #164
explorer

Currently Looking...
On the Road Full Time , Utah
I'm about to do this again, but to my 23 footer this time. It's got a propane line going right by the axle, so I'll be modifying the bracket a bit to allow the line to clear. Video coming soon(ish).
Old 08-18-2017, 10:42 AM   #165
explorer

Currently Looking...
Does anyone know the difference between the different kits? I realize there's a different kit for the #10, #11, and #12 axles, but what's different? It looks like they go from 2 5/8" to 3 1/8". I'd love to get the most lift possible and run the 3 1/8" bracket on my #10 axle, but I'm curious if it won't fit, or if there's really a difference between them?
Old 08-18-2017, 10:48 AM   #166

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
I think it's the spacing between the holes.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:19 AM   #167
explorer

Currently Looking...
Gotcha. I think I'm going to try making my own bracket today. We'll see how it goes. I don't have time for a #10 kit to ship in, and I want more than 2.5" of lift, so I'll see if I can make my own. I probably won't save any money, but it'll be a good experiment.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:21 AM   #168
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Pretty easy to make your own, it's just square tubing and you can get any size needed. Match the width of your axle for that measurement and then what height you want for the other measurement which would possibly end up being a rectangle, not square tubing as I mentioned above. You can get various rectangular tubing as well.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:39 PM   #169
explorer

Currently Looking...
I'll be using 1/4" 3"x2.5" angle iron with gussets. Video coming soon.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:27 PM   #170
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by explore more View Post
Does anyone know the difference between the different kits? I realize there's a different kit for the #10, #11, and #12 axles, but what's different? It looks like they go from 2 5/8" to 3 1/8". I'd love to get the most lift possible and run the 3 1/8" bracket on my #10 axle, but I'm curious if it won't fit, or if there's really a difference between them?
I actually ordered the wrong #10 kit for my trailer originally, based on wrong info from etrailer.com that listed a 3700lb axle as a #10. Not always true as I found out. I had #11 axles.

They are different in size and gauge of metal. The #10 spacer is not as long, with closer hole spacing. So they are not interchangeable.

I personally wanted less than the 2.875" lift that the blocks gave. It doesn't sound like a lot, but it's a substantial lift. The AS looks much more substantial visually with as tall as it is now. Less is more sometimes, and ideally, a 1.5" lift is what I would have preferred. But then again 2.875" was the exact right height for my trailer to match with my slightly lifted LX570.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:09 PM   #171
3 Rivet Member

2024 25' Trade Wind
Bothell , Washington
Any recommendations on someone on the east coast to install either the Dexter lift kit or custom lift kit?

We'll be in NC, SC, Georgia and Florida for the next couple of months.

I'm assuming JC will not install?

Thanks.

Chuck
Old 08-19-2017, 05:26 PM   #172
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Middleton , Idaho
Today, my son and I installed a Dexter lift kit on the #11 axles in our 2013 25FC. Prior to doing this install, I read this thread as well as the thread started by Troutboy on the Boondocking forum. I also watched the helpful video by Explore More. All of this info was extremely valuable and gave me the confidence to try it.

We installed the lift kit on one axle at a time, and left the trailer supported by the other axle and tires. This was a method that Sheriff1 mentioned, and I thought it was the safest way to do it. We had a good selection of wrenches and air tools to work with.

The installation looks straight forward-- lower the axles, install the spacers, and bolt it all together. On our trailer, the spacers would not fit above the front axles due to the plastic cover over what I believe is the fresh water tank. The rear axle spacers would not fit due to the metal pan over the holding tanks. We used a small air powered reciprocal saw, air angle grinder, and a hack saw blade to carefully trim these areas to allow the spacers to fit.

Another big issue was trying to fish some of the horizontal bolts through. On the rear bolts for the front spacers, we used a fish wire. On the rear bolts for the rear spacers, we could not do it due to the tight confines on the holding tanks, so we resorted to welding the original flange nuts to the bracket, and putting the original bolt in from the outside. Also, we had to weld tabs on a couple of bolts where we couldn't get a wrench to hold them. Dropping the pan may have helped, but I was not sure what I would get into (and I hate plumbing...). We would have had to cut the pans either way.

Soon after starting the project, I was ready to either return the lift kit, or find a shop to do it. Fortunately for me, my son is a professional mechanic/fabricator on 4X4's and service trucks, and this was a "normal day at the office" for him. I would not have been able to complete this project without his expertise and help.

Thanks again to all who have documented their installations of these lift kits.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:36 AM   #173
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Thanks for your install details, it would seem the newer models like yours, have a few more obstacles in the way complicating the install.

How's the extra height working out, hopefully your effort has paid off.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:41 AM   #174
explorer

Currently Looking...
I just finished installing my homemade 4" lift on my 23 D. It works great. I'll have the video edited soon, then I'll post it here. It was a 100% custom fabrication job, so I don't expect anyone to do the same, but it's still good info related to the topic. I don't think I'd want to go any higher than 4". My dump valves are no longer 4" off the ground.

I think wally byam would be proud of everyone who has lifted their trailers.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:19 AM   #175
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Middleton , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza View Post
Thanks for your install details, it would seem the newer models like yours, have a few more obstacles in the way complicating the install.

How's the extra height working out, hopefully your effort has paid off.
We haven't used the trailer since installing the lift kit, but I think it is going to be a big help for the dispersed camping we like to do. The higher drain valve will be an added bonus for dumping the tanks.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:19 PM   #176
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
I just finished installing my homemade 4" lift on my 23 D. It works great. I'll have the video edited soon, then I'll post it here. It was a 100% custom fabrication job, so I don't expect anyone to do the same, but it's still good info related to the topic. I don't think I'd want to go any higher than 4". My dump valves are no longer 4" off the ground.

I think wally byam would be proud of everyone who has lifted their trailers.
Stop teasing lets see!
Old 08-21-2017, 03:34 PM   #177
explorer

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza View Post
Stop teasing lets see!
It's going to take me a week or two to edit the video and get it posted. I promist it's coming! We've got a couple pics on our instagram. @themoreweexplore.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:46 PM   #178
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
TrailBob,

Nice work, how are you liking it?
Old 09-09-2017, 10:50 PM   #179
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
It was a 100% custom fabrication job, so I don't expect anyone to do the same,
Certainly not me, I'll just wait till you start selling 4 inch lifts with welded nuts!
Old 09-10-2017, 11:14 AM   #180
explorer

Currently Looking...
There was plenty of welding for this install, but it didn't involve welding nuts this time. Since I used angle iron instead of c-channel, the nuts are really easy to access.

Part 1 of our custom lift build.
Closed Thread