Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2022, 01:35 PM   #81
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
The good news is…

My order is so delayed that this issue won’t affect delivery which remains definitely tentatively scheduled for sometime in the future

brad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 02:34 PM   #82
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Norwalk , Connecticut
We picked up our 2022 25' International las September. Even though it's was s still 2021 our trailer had all the new 2922 features. I wonder if this affects our trailer.
Silverminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 04:53 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverminer View Post
We picked up our 2022 25' International las September. Even though it's was s still 2021 our trailer had all the new 2922 features. I wonder if this affects our trailer.
Look further up in the replies to this thread. The list of serial numbers that are impacted are documented in a pdf file.

Your trailers serial number is the last 6 digits of your VIN number.

If your serial number is not on the list, your trailer is not impacted by this issue.
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 10:44 AM   #84
2 Rivet Member

Gilroy , California
Dexter Quality

It would be a bigger bummer if you axles caught on fire like mine did after less than 1,000 miles. It took months to get them replaced. I would seriously look at another vendor if that was an option. This has been an ongoing problem for years. Mine was a 2020 SOB that I took delivery of in 2019.
Bueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 11:18 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueno View Post
It would be a bigger bummer if you axles caught on fire like mine did after less than 1,000 miles. It took months to get them replaced. I would seriously look at another vendor if that was an option. This has been an ongoing problem for years. Mine was a 2020 SOB that I took delivery of in 2019.
Yeah, I really need to buy an IR laser thermometer to be able to check the hub and brake drum temperatures every time I stop. Brake drums can warp, and hubs can run out of grease. Not a pretty picture. Sorry for your pain, but thanks for sharing the lesson as a heads up for the rest of us. If you don't mind sharing more info, were you able to determine why the fire occured?
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 03:41 PM   #86
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Airstream became aware of this safety issue concerning the Dexter axles that use the Nev-R-Lube bearings on June 16, 2022. For more information, Dexter resources, affected serial number list and FAQ's on this recall, please click on this link. Thank you. https://go.airstream.com/dexter
Old 06-23-2022, 04:49 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Airstream became aware of this safety issue concerning the Dexter axles that use the Nev-R-Lube bearings on June 16, 2022. For more information, Dexter resources, affected serial number list and FAQ's on this recall, please click on this link. Thank you. https://go.airstream.com/dexter
Definitive. Thank you.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 06:17 PM   #88
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
2015 25' FB International
Bay Area , California
One more piece of data - our AS is in the affected group, was originally expected at the dealership last week, then this week. Today I received the call letting me know about the issue and the fix which is taking place at JC.

No new ETA available yet.
WkendWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 06:30 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Thank you Airstream Inc for the excellent information concerning this issue. The recall correction sounds straight forward and it won't be long before we all have the corrected washer and confidence in towing our new trailers.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 12:10 PM   #90
2 Rivet Member

Kingston , New York
Quote:

Thank you for getting on top of this.

I am disappointed, however, that I can’t have an authorized Airstream dealer/service center do the work. Dexter is sending someone from The Bronx who claims to know what he is doing. Dexter seems to have found this guy in the yellow pages.
rufusd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 01:21 PM   #91
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusd7 View Post
Thank you for getting on top of this.

I am disappointed, however, that I can’t have an authorized Airstream dealer/service center do the work. Dexter is sending someone from The Bronx who claims to know what he is doing. Dexter seems to have found this guy in the yellow pages.
rufusd7,

I have Nev-R-Lube bearing on my disc brakes and have done the R&R on the Nev-R-Lube drum brake version.

While this is not the procedure that Airstream will dictate (assumption I know) this would be how I see it being done.

Chock wheel the side not being repaired.
CORRECTLY raise the trailer.
Remove a wheel.
Remove the dust cap.
Remove the small snap ring and torque spec label.
Remove the Nev-R-Lube bearing lock nut.
Remove and replace the washer with the new washer.
Replace lock nut, torque to spec, 145-155 Lb-Ft.
Replace snap ring and dust cap, install wheel, torque lug nuts.

Above is not from any Airstream doc, it's what I'd do to R&R the washer.

It's not a difficult procedure, jacking and using a jack stand and proper torque procedures would be the key points I'd be looking for. If they just bang away on the lock nut with any impact gun to tighten it that wouldn't make me smile.

And I'm including a Dexter doc on Nev-R-Lube bearing R&R that includes R&R for the drum assembly.

Good luck,

Gary
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dexter Nev-R-Lube Bearings.pdf (163.3 KB, 28 views)
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 01:32 PM   #92
2 Rivet Member

Gilroy , California
Dexter Junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by foobar View Post
Yeah, I really need to buy an IR laser thermometer to be able to check the hub and brake drum temperatures every time I stop. Brake drums can warp, and hubs can run out of grease. Not a pretty picture. Sorry for your pain, but thanks for sharing the lesson as a heads up for the rest of us. If you don't mind sharing more info, were you able to determine why the fire occured?
As near as we can determine, the axles were shipped to the trailer manufacturer with little or no grease. This has apparently been going on for a few years now.

Dexter requires in their warranty paperwork that the wheel bearings be repacked and inspected annually, whether or not the trailer is used which IMHO is idiotic. What type of junk are they making? If you have the opportunity, buy any other axle other than Dexter. Unfortunately, that is the axle (probably low bid) used by most trailer manufacturers nowadays.
Bueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 02:08 PM   #93
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
As near as we can determine, the axles were shipped to the trailer manufacturer with little or no grease. This has apparently been going on for a few years now.

Dexter requires in their warranty paperwork that the wheel bearings be repacked and inspected annually, whether or not the trailer is used which IMHO is idiotic. What type of junk are they making? If you have the opportunity, buy any other axle other than Dexter. Unfortunately, that is the axle (probably low bid) used by most trailer manufacturers nowadays.
Lots of good reasons to service an axle annually, including to inspect for rust forming. This might be even more important for axles which sit unused, as there is a higher chance that there are dry portions of the inner hub assembly.

Other axles? Don't know if anyone else is making a bolt-in torsion axle which will fit. Millions of miles on Dexter axles by now is my guess, with largely good results.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 02:42 PM   #94
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Quote:

Folks,

Just to clarify (I hope) and not disputing the post by Bueno but this axle recall situation involves a specific bearing design used by Dexter for the Nev-R-Lube. This is a sealed cartridge type bearing. From the bearing manufacturer it is delivered as a complete bearing assembly which is then pressed into a drum (or hub for disc brakes) and installed on the axle. I posted a picture of this bearing and its washer, nut, label and snap ring in Post 32.

You CANNOT disassemble a Nev-R-Lube bearing, clean, re-grease and reinstall like the older trailer bearings. And yes I have disassembled a Timken
just to see it's innards and it uses a very unique sealing system. This design is from the same family of bearings that are used on front wheel drive applications and typically but not always sold as a complete hub assembly. But in the Dexter application the bearing CAN be replaced as a complete bearing assembly rather than a total drum (or hub) replacement.

So please don't get confused if your trailer has Nev-R-Lube bearings and your looking for annual tear down cleaning and re-greasing procedures for it. That does not apply to a Nev-R-Lube and Dexter has a well documented inspection procedure. You can find it in Post 91, page 3 of the Dexter PDF.

Airstream and Dexter have defined and documented the issue as a washer replacement, not a bearing issue.

Gary
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 06-24-2022, 08:08 PM   #95

Tumwater , Washington
Dexter axles

We picked up our new International 28 RBT 3 weeks ago any just got back from a 500 mile trip Sunday. Scary thought now. Our service rep called to tell me about the recall yesterday. She said they don’t have details but they received a list of affected trailers and ours was the only one on the list that had come through their store. If this is accurate it would suggest not all trailers are affected and they are in the process of notifying affected owners but have shut everything down in an abundance of caution. In that case there is hope they may release the unaffected trailers soon.
Luckyx18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 02:23 AM   #96
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyx18 View Post
We picked up our new International 28 RBT 3 weeks ago any just got back from a 500 mile trip Sunday. Scary thought now. Our service rep called to tell me about the recall yesterday. She said they don’t have details but they received a list of affected trailers and ours was the only one on the list that had come through their store. If this is accurate it would suggest not all trailers are affected and they are in the process of notifying affected owners but have shut everything down in an abundance of caution. In that case there is hope they may release the unaffected trailers soon.

As already shared above by Airstream themselves in post #86. Airstream has already released a list of the exact trailers affected, and has a resolution in place. There is an FAQ page now on their website about it.
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 07:31 AM   #97
2 Rivet Member

Kingston , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
rufusd7,

I have Nev-R-Lube bearing on my disc brakes and have done the R&R on the Nev-R-Lube drum brake version.

While this is not the procedure that Airstream will dictate (assumption I know) this would be how I see it being done.

Chock wheel the side not being repaired.

CORRECTLY raise the trailer.

Remove a wheel.

Remove the dust cap.

Remove the small snap ring and torque spec label.

Remove the Nev-R-Lube bearing lock nut.

Remove and replace the washer with the new washer.

Replace lock nut, torque to spec, 145-155 Lb-Ft.

Replace snap ring and dust cap, install wheel, torque lug nuts.

Above is not from any Airstream doc, it's what I'd do to R&R the washer.

It's not a difficult procedure, jacking and using a jack stand and proper torque procedures would be the key points I'd be looking for. If they just bang away on the lock nut with any impact gun to tighten it that wouldn't make me smile.

And I'm including a Dexter doc on Nev-R-Lube bearing R&R that includes R&R for the drum assembly.

Good luck,

Gary

Thank you, Gary!

For proper jacking, would using a leveling block under the same side other tire to lift the wheel for service qualify? For proper torque procedures, is the use of a torque wrench to the proper torque sufficient? Is there anything more specific one would do for those two items to get them right?
rufusd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 07:56 AM   #98
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Here's to all involved getting the issue resolved and on the road as quickly as possible.

Thanks to this thread, I was able to check and confirm that our 2022 GT 23FBT, picked up in March, was NOT on the list, even though our S/N was within the range of S/Ns affected by this recall notice.

Subtier supplier QC issues happen to any large manufacturer. As a retired Project Manager and part time Subcontract PM in the Aerospace Industry, I am very familiar. What matters is how proactive the company is in dealing with the problem.

So far from what I've seen, Airstream has been on top of this. Much appreciate the detailed information in the posts above, and in particular, I'm impressed that a company representative would take the time to post publicly on an internet forum with additional information. Props to them.

Special thanks to all the other members who added significantly to the signal to noise ratio on this topic, as well. It is noticed.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 08:02 AM   #99
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
rudusd7,

Remember the fix is likely going to include directions from AS on how to do this job. I just offered an overview of the procedure trying to address your concerns.

Many folks do use a drive up on blocks or trailer aid device to raise a wheel for servicing.

I'm a DIY type and I lift my 30' rig with a 1 ton pickup jack placed under the main frame right between the wheels. It does allow for a jack stand also. But the big NO NO is any jack placed under the axle beam to lift. That's absolutely unacceptable for the Dexter axle. PERIOD.

Wheel torque specs and procedure are even in your owners manual. Busting them down with an impact and wiping your hands, nope. Click the torque wrench X 6 per wheel.

Gary

Send Ohio sweet corn! We don't get the really good stuff here.
Old 06-25-2022, 05:16 PM   #100

2018 16' Sport
2022 25' Flying Cloud
Readfield , Maine
Quote:
Thank you for this information.

I called the Dexter Customer Service line on 6/24 and they are overnight shipping me the new washers and have arranged for a mobile technician to do the repair on 6/27 (the day the washers are to arrive).

I'm some impressed.

I just wish that either Airstream or Dexter had actually gotten in contact with me other than a phone call from our sales rep telling me about the problem.
hgrimmnitz is offline   Reply With Quote