Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-09-2007, 08:36 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Dexter part numbers

I need/want to replace the brake system on my 1966 Safair 22', single axle. My thought is to replace the backing plates, brakes and drums (the whole system). I did a seach and could not find the part numbers I'd need to order them before starting the job. I don't want to do the, take them off, match them up, order them thing. I'd like to have the correct part sitting there when I start taking off the tires. Also, info on a good source at a good price is always good too.

Any help would be great. Need to get the rig ready for the WDCU Cherry Blossom Rally in April.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair
I need/want to replace the brake system on my 1966 Safair 22', single axle. My thought is to replace the backing plates, brakes and drums (the whole system). I did a seach and could not find the part numbers I'd need to order them before starting the job. I don't want to do the, take them off, match them up, order them thing. I'd like to have the correct part sitting there when I start taking off the tires. Also, info on a good source at a good price is always good too.

Any help would be great. Need to get the rig ready for the WDCU Cherry Blossom Rally in April.
You will need to provide the bearing numbers, to make sure the replacement hub and drums will fit the axle spindles.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:18 AM   #3
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
This may be obvious to others, however I would think you are going to need to know what you have. 10"X2" brakes, 12"X2" brakes or ? Are the brakes that you have now original? Or were they changed by a PO like you are changing them now, and to the same size or different. Same bearings or different.

If it were me I would pull a drum and start measuring and inspecting. These units are not like a car and the components are as well known to parts houses.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 02-09-2007, 11:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I agree you should take one hub off and get dimensions, only because it may have been swapped out sometime in the past.

Once you get to that point, I would go here to look up the parts. They have the best index of hub styles, bearing numbers, dimensions, descriptions I have found.

Even if you don't order the parts from them, the numbers are nearly universal.

Although they have the best prices, some people won't buy from them because they might get "Non-Timken" bearings from Yugoslavia. That's a choice you need to make. I haven't had any problems.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:06 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
1963 22' Safari
Troy , Michigan
I bought dexter brakes w/o new hubs and found it was a very easy installation. I did have to call dexter to have new mounting bolts shipped, as they were not included with the electric brake assembly. I'd recommend comparing Trailer Parts Superstore
Good luck
Paul
1997 34' Classic FK
airstream4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:08 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

I agree with paul. Trailer Parts Superstore is where I found my 12 X 2s for my 31 ft sovereign. The toughest part of the job is getting off the nuts that hold the plate on. Mine hadn't been touched for 31 years. Soak with penetrating oll for days before trying. Most came off easy. If I had it to do over again, I would test on all four wheels and make sure I could break them loose. I had to pull trailer to mechanic and have one "torched" off. Nothing would move it. Knowing this ahead of time for all four wheels could save some trips..good luck. ken
krwrite is offline   Reply With Quote