Old 09-03-2019, 02:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Dexter Lift Kit 'Measurements'- 2019 27 Foot International FB

(Al and Missy did it themselves. I had the work done at Las Vegas Airstream as an add on. These are my measurements. I do not have the equipment. We are securing the interior hinges, vent cover on Fantastic Fan, sink water filter and Michelin 16 inch LTX wheels and tires. That we can do.)

We purchased a 2019 27 foot International Signature. One of the options added was the installation of a Dexter 3" Lift Kit. No price on the Work Sheet or Dexter Part number.

When we were doing Due Diligence and checking out the trailer, I had tape measured the distance from the center hub to center hub to be 33 inches.

When the trailer was pulled out for a final inspection, I tape measured the center to center hubs as 33 3/8 inches on the left axle and 32 5/8 inches on the right axle.

Of course I asked the mechanic why the difference. The axles are Torsion Axles. That is what the small 'shock absorber' is added to assist. The shock absorber adds resistance to the movement of the rear axle, in my double axle. Someone may be able to add to this explanation. Some on the Forum believe this 'shock absorber' works more like one in our vehicles. I guess in a way, but the Torsion Axle is used for a smoother ride, shock absorption with the intent also to reduce vibration than leaf springs.

Since I have yet to ride inside the towed Airstream while moving... I will have to try some day to understand all these... benefits. If true or not.

OK. I pointed this out while walking around to find these measurements to be off. I measured 33 inches before, Dexter Lift Kit installed and off somewhat.

Once I attached the tow vehicle and pulled forward... 33 inches Left and Right axles were the result. The axles were operating as they should. This is measured from the center of the hubs of each wheel.

The mechanic said it took 4 to 4 1/2 hours using the same equipment as seen on this Forum on Dexter Lift installations by handy owners.

I now have about 2 3/4 inches more clearance.

Some measurements:

Back edge of metal fresh water tank height near axle: L- 12 3/4”, R- 13 1/4”
Frame behind bolt and lift kit height: L- 16 3/4”, R 16 1/2”
Bottom of axle to garage floor: L- 13”, R- 12 3/4”

The measurements are in my garage on concrete. There are some slight differences. The four foot level on the rear cargo lid is level. The four foot level on the battery box lid is level. The four foot level at a right angle to the length at doorway is level.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Ray,

So are you please with the quality of work that AS of LV did for you? I may consider them to install my lift kit.

Thanks,
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1 View Post
Ray,

So are you please with the quality of work that AS of LV did for you? I may consider them to install my lift kit.

Thanks,
I am a hard guy to please when it comes to cost and service.

The solar panel installation met my expectations, as well. Also an add on part of the deal.

Since this was an add onto a new trailer, I do not know the cost of labor. The lift kit prices are available on the Internet. Ebay is more competitive. They are made for your Axle by Dexter.

The mechanic said it took 4 to 4 1/2 hours in Service.

After watching some on this Forum... maybe they are willing to do the job. It would also be worth the price.

When we give this trailer the break in coming soon, I will know how all of this worked out. This trailer may be a keeper. Everything I would have wanted is on board and the 16" Michelins are being ordered today at Costco and the Sendel wheels were delivered last week.