Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2010, 04:53 PM   #21

2007 23' Safari SE
McCall , Idaho
Wheel Alignment in Boise area ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
Andy's right on.

With a long straight edge resting against the back sidewall of both tires, it should just miss the front sidewall of both tires. When held against both sidewalls of the front tire, it should then miss the rear tire. That's one of the checks they made at Hewitt.

The above is a good check, but does not insure proper alignment. Camber must also be correct.

AND........A good shop will check proper alignment with the center of the hitch for proper tracking going down the road. The axles may be in alignment in relation to one another, but that does not mean that they are pointing the right direction with regard to the center line of the trailer. They could both be pointing slightly to the left or the right, in which case the rear end of the trailer will track a little to the left or right of center going down the road. Should not be a problem unless it is excessive, but it's just not correct.

Proper wheel alignment on a trailer is not as simple as some would think. Bending an axle in such a manner as to get tow-in, camber and tracking all correct takes real know how, and good equipment. In our case, two very experienced guys spent nearly three hours, not including the initial check which took nearly an hour. The check took that long because they wanted to know exactly how far the axles were out of line. They wanted the numbers.
from mobytrout, McCall ID
need to locate a shop that can align the front axle of my 2007 Safari SE 23ft (maybe rear axle too) RT front tire exhibits significant uneven wear on outer tread pattern. Called factory and closest on their list is Eugene OR. Called R&R wheel in Boise and they can't do it. Request forum members input as to "local" shops in my area.
Thanks
mobytrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:09 PM   #22
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Jim.
On a tandem, you can use a 3 foot level or stright edge.

Placing that straight edge on the rear tire, parallel to the ground, in the center of the tire, should touch the back of the front tire. Placing it on the front tire, it should miss the rear tire.

OR

Make sure the trailer tires are not in any twist.

Using a ruler, measure the distance between the axle mounting plate, at the widest part of the tire, both front and rear of each tire. Subtract the front dimension from the rear dimension, and that will tell you what the alignment is.

Obviously, the above it not as accurate as alignment equipment, but it will be very close. Make sure the tires do not have a bulge in the area of measurement.

Also, make sure the axle mounting plate is not bent or deformed.

Andy
Thread resurrection time. I also have a separate thread but thought I'd jump in here as well. My left rear tire is wearing excessively on outer rib/edge. All other tires good, air pressures always good.

I used the level method indicated in Andy's post above. On left (street side) both tires line up right on the level...all four sidewall points contact the level.

On the curbside, if I place level against front tire, it misses the back tire entirely by about 3/8-1/2 inch...the front tire seems to be sitting outside the back. Or if I place the level on the back sidewall of the rear tire first, it contacts the back sidewall of the front tire, and the back sidewall of the rear tire, missing the front sidewall of both the rear and front.

So basically, what i have happening on the right side is exactly what Andy said above: "Placing that straight edge on the rear tire, parallel to the ground, in the center of the tire, should touch the back of the front tire. Placing it on the front tire, it should miss the rear tire." But on the left/street side, the straight edge contacts both tires on the front and rear sidewall.

I should note the trailer has a three-inch lift kit. We were careful to drop just one end of each axle at a time, so there should have been no side/side movement of the axles, and the axle was marked to make sure it was re-installed with the original fore/aft orientation.

Ideas? I think I've read that Inland Andy is no longer active. Any rec's for a good axle shop that could check/fix alignment within a day's drive of SLC Utah?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9282.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	373837
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9284.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	392.9 KB
ID:	373838
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote