Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-13-2016, 06:59 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Sulphur , Louisiana
How did you get ahold of Colin? I emailed him Monday and have not received a response. Should I call or is there a secret knock or password?
Bobkatbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:54 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Suzy!

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Your trailer looks great and I'd really like to get a lift kit under mine after looking at yours.

Just wondering, how did you make sure your axle alignment was good--or are the holes in the lift blocks precise enough you can't really bolt the axle in crooked?

Thanks!!

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:55 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnside Bob View Post
Suzy!

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Your trailer looks great and I'd really like to get a lift kit under mine after looking at yours.

Just wondering, how did you make sure your axle alignment was good--or are the holes in the lift blocks precise enough you can't really bolt the axle in crooked?

Thanks!!
Except for the already mentioned 3/8" difference between the lift kit holes and my trailer frame holes, everything just bolts right up into place. I split the difference on all lift blocks, 3/16" per hole, so that they would stay centered. The new axles are bigger than the old ones, so that if you didn't use the lifts, you'd have to carve out 1/4"-3/8" of the frame to get it to fit in the existing slot. Enlarging the holes on the lifts with my buddy's vertical mill was easier than going under the trailer with a sawzall or grinder.

All of the bolts come with it, so when the package shows up, you're good to go. The bolts have to go on a certain way, in exact order, which is difficult to describe, but obvious when you jack up the axle and see that the shock is blocking the nut, etc. It's a tight fit.

As to contacting Colin, I guess that I'm persistent enough (too annoying to ignore), or very lucky. And I didn't even have to pour beer down his throat, like everyone else on this job, to get him to help!
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:51 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Suzy- which Dexter axle kit did you use for your lift? I'm surprised the holes didn't match up. If I remember correctly, I believe the holes are suppose to be spaced at 9.5" on center?
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:00 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
It was the Torflex Lift Kit - Tandem Axle - 2-7/8" Lift from eTrailer.com. Didn't measure the the bolt distance
Old 07-17-2016, 04:43 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
So, we did a 3 hr. drive this weekend to Blue Springs SP, and the lift + axles did very well. Blew out 2 tires, not at the same time. Almost ruined the trip (only 1 spare), but K-Mart in Ft. Pierce had the tires, and the mechanics took pity on me and stayed late. No fun backing up 1/2 mile on I-95 to a rest stop after finding out that AAA couldn't get me a tow!

Anyway, it was nothing that a couple-few tequila shots couldn't cure once we made camp. A discovery that I made is that my landing gear don't touch the ground any more! Makes sense in retrospect... at least I found a use for my old leveling blocks that the Anderson Levelers obsoleted. I'm also using a folding step that I got from Harbor Freight to help make the climb up into the trailer.

Coming back, it was pretty windy out, but trailer still towed fine. No problemo with big rigs passing me. You're looking at a happy camper!
Old 07-17-2016, 08:02 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Sorry to hear about your tires. I just upgraded to 16 inch rims and put on Cooper HT3s. Hoping to have better luck now.
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote