Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2022, 08:45 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1952 21' Flying Cloud
New Orleans , Louisiana
Broken Axle on Trip. Need Advice/Help

Hi all,

My wife is traveling alone with our Airstream ('52 Flying Cloud). last night, the axle snapped while traveling along I-10 just outside Columbia, SC. She is fine, just shook up. But now she's stranded outside Columbia with a broken axle and broken hub. Guys who towed our rig off the highway have round a replacement axle, but can't source the same brand replacement axle we had put on the trailer back in 2009. (I don't know the brand we had put on in 2009 but had it done at P&S Trailer out of Helena, OH, so I trust those guys.) My questions for you guys are this:
1) What should I be asking about the new axle, hubs, springs, and spring perches? (This type of repair exceeds my level of wrenching acumen)
2) Does $1000ish sound about right for this level of repair?
3) the replacement hubs on this pre-assembled axle don't have trailer brakes. Is that something I can have retro-fitted to this new axle? an axle/hub with brakes they're saying is a 8-week wait.
4) Any reason not to put a pre-assembled axle on my airstream?
5) what am I not aware of that I should be asking?

Please don't flame me! We have driven this unrestored, old airstream for 13 years without a minutes trouble. Have probably done tons wrong, but this old unit has traveled all around the gulf coast and east coast for years. We're not professional restorers, we just use this thing in all its tarnished, original glory.

But I want to continue to use it for another 10 years, so want to make sure we're being as smart as possible with a repair of this magnitude, but it's Christmas and my wife is stranded and I can't get to her for another day or two from here in New Orleans.

Thanks for any advice/experience!

Tony
tonynorman50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 09:26 AM   #2
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Why would anyone want to flame you?

Really surprised that a 13 year old axle "snapped". Unless the load was greater than the axle capacity.

1) This would be based on dimensions and other factors. It is a straight axle (not torsion) if the same as the original. I would contact P&S. They should have the data for you. May take some time to get it and would be better than guessing. If leaf springs were replaced in 2009 they are good. If the axles are the same, hubs from the old axle can be used. If the hubs are being replaced save the old hubs. Thay may have some value.
2) Yes
3) The answer is a function of trailer weight. If the trailer is under 2000 pounds brakes are not as necessary as it would be if trailer is over 2000 pounds.
4) No
5) I think you are good

If the old axle has brakes save those or transfer to the new axle.

Action