Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-31-2010, 04:49 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1989 34' Limited
long beach , Mississippi
Axle, where to buy

OK.
im about ready to purchase two Axles for our 74 Sovereign after most of the other work is done.
I need to find an inexpensive source, on where to buy a complete pair.
I tried Axis, but was told they sell through Inland RV.

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

ohh.. and happy new year
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
I believe Colin Hyde may also sell axles.

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
x

XXXX , XXXX
Hi Sub Happy New Year to you as well.
I bought mine from Inland and am very happy with the axles and the level of customer care I received. Mine were shipped from the west coat to the east and across the border. The freight charges were worth it to receive bolt on units with no problems.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:21 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Severna Park , Maryland
Check Dexter's site for a list of distributors. Red NEck Trailer Supply sells them around here I dont know if they are in MS. If you plan to buy from other than Inland make sure you research very well and know what you are ordering. I found there to be many details that need to be considered when ordering from a non-AS familiar dealer/distributor.
MDSilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:24 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1989 34' Limited
long beach , Mississippi
well i looked at inland, but the price for two complete axles plus shipping is pretty high..
unless, andy has a "buy one get one free" sale :-)
Old 12-31-2010, 05:42 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
As has been mentioned above, Colin sells axles. What was not mentioned was the axles are the same Axis axles sold by other vendors, and you may get a better price on them from him. You can send him a PM (he's ColinH), though I can't tell you how to get hold of him off the forum.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:50 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
If you weigh your trailer, can measure accurately, drill holes in metal up to 5/8 inch, and properly tighten bolts, then Dexter axles would probably work for you. Best price I have found is through Redneck.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Is it just me or does Inland RV appear to have a monopoly on airstream axles that inflates prices?

Does anyone else find it odd that when an axle manufacturer sells to a forum member, within a few weeks or months, Inland RV releases a statement that they are now the official supplier and that manufacturer will refer all inquiries to Inland RV?

There is a torsion axle manufacturer near me that sells direct to the public and their axles are similar specs to the Axis, Dexter and Henschen axles, and they're typically $200. Also, Dexter's similar spec axles for other markets are also a lot cheaper.

Is this a correct read of the current situation? Is it anti-competitive?
Old 12-31-2010, 05:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by submariner View Post
OK.
im about ready to purchase two Axles for our 74 Sovereign after most of the other work is done.
I need to find an inexpensive source, on where to buy a complete pair.
I tried Axis, but was told they sell through Inland RV.

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

ohh.. and happy new year
It depends on if you want to gamble, or not.

When a dealer has original specs, that's a plus, when they don't, that's a minus.

And no, we don't do the buy one, get one free. Our customers depend on us staying in business, and not kicking it to the curb. That means we have bills to pay, like it or not.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Park View Post
Is it just me or does Inland RV appear to have a monopoly on airstream axles that inflates prices?

Does anyone else find it odd that when an axle manufacturer sells to a forum member, within a few weeks or months, Inland RV releases a statement that they are now the official supplier and that manufacturer will refer all inquiries to Inland RV?

There is a torsion axle manufacturer near me that sells direct to the public and their axles are similar specs to the Axis, Dexter and Henschen axles, and they're typically $200. Also, Dexter's similar spec axles for other markets are also a lot cheaper.

It's a matter of taking the time, reviewing the original specs, that assures a proper fit. Otherwise, it's a guessing game.

Andy
Old 12-31-2010, 06:29 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1989 34' Limited
long beach , Mississippi
Quote:
I

any info, on who the manufacturer is ? ,if i have to, i drive to TX

i do not have any problems of correct measuring or do any machining.

as long as i can get a good deal, i can modify if necessary
Old 12-31-2010, 07:37 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
I installed the axle on my 65 Safari and purchased through Inland RV. Andy was very helpful with info and ordering specs. He arranged for me to pick it up at the factory saving us $200+ in shipping costs. My experience says you pay for what you get.

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:47 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1989 34' Limited
long beach , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
And no, we don't do the buy one, get one free. Andy
dern, thought i could at least try

i think the shipping costs are going to be the worst part on purchasing axles.
and believe me guys, i rather purchase from someone, who knows what they are selling .

thanks for all the info so far
Old 12-31-2010, 07:52 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1989 34' Limited
long beach , Mississippi
here a question: i know i need 3500lbs axles, i can take meassurements on the entire axle.. even make a cad drawing if i need to, what are the concerns on purchasing from an axle dealer, that is not familliar with airstream?
maybe you can answer this Andy ?

thanks
Old 12-31-2010, 08:30 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkasten View Post
I installed the axle on my 65 Safari and purchased through Inland RV. Andy was very helpful with info and ordering specs. He arranged for me to pick it up at the factory saving us $200+ in shipping costs. My experience says you pay for what you get.
I agree, we purchased 2 for our 69 through andy and 1 for our 63 from Andy. You can't go wrong, you do get what you pay for.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by submariner View Post
here a question: i know i need 3500lbs axles, i can take meassurements on the entire axle.. even make a cad drawing if i need to, what are the concerns on purchasing from an axle dealer, that is not familliar with airstream?
maybe you can answer this Andy ?

thanks
3500 pound axles, was not the original equipment rating on your Airstream.

Why do you want 3500 axles?

Andy
Old 12-31-2010, 09:10 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I also purchased from ANDY @ Inland Rv. He also arranged for me to pickup my axles at the OLD Henshen Factory around the corner from AIRSTREAM. He sent me the mounting hardware ,followed up by a phone call to check and see if I got them. Another phone call telling me what day I could pick them up with my truck.
My axles fit like the old ones that come out. PERFECT.
YOU WANT TA GAMBLE ??? ITS YOUR MONEY. I had other choices also. But Im not a gambler. So I went with Andy who has been doin this for years and can order axles for you,with your serial number. That way you know they will fit perfect. NO HASSLE.
My money's on ANDY .
This is not a paid advertisement.
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:49 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
I think all these posts pointing out the benefits of Inland's product list miss the point:

Inland sells a quality product that is guaranteed to fit. Lots of other companies sell products that can fit too. However, these products are either sold only through Inland, OR they're mired in an irrational "fear, uncertainty and doubt" FUDball of doom.

I find it amusing that you can go back through old posts and read how certain products are smeared and FUDded this way, until Inland secures exclusive distribution to this market, and suddenly it's all going to fit right.

I think we should collect standard measurements for all the axles we can, so that this information can be published and available, and any torsion axle maker can produce axles that meet the physical dimensions, load capacities and suspension characteristics of the "approved" items sold only by Inland RV.

And of course, the response will be testimonials from people who haven't actually installed a competitor's axle, and "well, can you ever be really sure?" FUD from the retailer with the highest margins. And in a few months, that manufacturer will start referring all orders to....the retailer with the highest margins.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:58 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:

Axle manufacturers, love to deal with large numbers of orders.

They also do not have the time it takes to take an order from a retail customer, who, generally speaking, does not have the necessary specs to assure a proper performing or fitting of an axle.

They can waste hours, according to them, with a retail customer, which has a negative effect on their sales.

I have had, all the specs for many years, which save everyones time.

Of course, everyone is free to purchase axles directly from Airstream, if they don't mind paying $1200.00 each, plus shipping if necessary.

When any company provides a service to the majority, regardless of the product, that makes it much more feasible for the manufacturer.

The issue here David, is that many want to have a part of the action, but they don't have the data, experience or expertise, that assures a proper fit along with a proper rating, for each respective year and models, nor have they had or have a positive way for the Airstream owners to communicate with them. It's a matter of what has been done, that's been highly successful for a manufacturer, based on history and long term performance.

Why does Airstream, "not" sell to the owners unless they are in Jackson Center? They say it would be a monumemtal and expensive problem, as they learned the hard way, many many years ago. That's why they have dealers.

Everyone is free to make their own choice as to which way to go.

Please note the number of owners, who have posted positive results, for several years, about our axle program.

As you well know, as a business person, costs must be passed on, or else.

It would seem that you would prefer to buy a car or truck, direct from the manufacturer. I don't see that in our future.

Andy
Old 12-31-2010, 10:14 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
No thread on axles would be complete without a disagreement about Inland or Inland Andy.

Sorry we endorsed the company/individual you don't prefer, its just our experience and we're glad we can share that to other airstreamers.

I support Inland RV and the various other vendors that support airforums and its members whenever possible, even when it isn't the cheapest because I believe it supports the hobbie. Andy contributes a lot, I don't see that kind of support from Dexter, so Andy gets my business.

Anything will fit if you measure right or have a big enough hammer.

Happy New Year!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote