Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2017, 11:26 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
axle weight question, is it ok to...

hi folks, i'm having my wheels sandblasted, is it ok to leave full weight of the trailer on two wheels while other two are at the shop? Maybe i'm over thinking this, but could the rubber get over stretched? I have new axles, about 4 yrs old now. The trailer is definitely sitting a lot lower when I removed two wheels ..

sorry if a dumb question
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:09 AM   #2
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
You should be OK as long as the trailer isn't being moved.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 08-10-2017, 05:48 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Taylors , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickclifford View Post
hi folks, i'm having my wheels sandblasted, is it ok to leave full weight of the trailer on two wheels while other two are at the shop? Maybe i'm over thinking this, but could the rubber get over stretched? I have new axles, about 4 yrs old now. The trailer is definitely sitting a lot lower when I removed two wheels ..

sorry if a dumb question
You're probably severely overloading the tires that are supporting the axle. Stationary tires that are overloaded are just like overloaded tires rolling down the road. They degrade quickly and soon go bango.
BlackAces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:21 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Do people do this all the time and get away with it? Sure they do. Do people have "unexplained" blowouts running down the road? Yes again. Much better to support the unloaded axle with something, not just for the sake of the other tires. Wheel off, spare on, sandblast wheel, replace wheel would work pretty well ....Borrow spare from neighbor and swap two at a time would be twice as good

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Bottle jack under the frame between the axles and set it on some 4x4 or whatever and worry is off the table, plus you can do all wheels at same time.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Apparently overloading the tires is an everyday and ongoing event in the process of going down an uneven road, or entering a driveway dip where one wheel, then the other of a tandem axle Airstream is lifted off the ground. Or when changing a flat by driving the tire next to it up on a ramp.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:43 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

You are not just overloading the tires. You are also (obviously) overloading the axle and wheel bearings. Sitting overloaded for a long period of time is not the same thing as a quick bounce or jolt. The damage is cumulative.

You also are changing the way the trailer sits on the axles. Again, not a big deal short term, things flex and bounce. Long term, you stress things like rivets, screws, and staples. They "pull" in the same direction for a long while. Eventually they become unhappy.

Lots of issues.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
[QUOTE=uncle_bob;1992056]Hi

You are not just overloading the tires. You are also (obviously) overloading the axle and wheel bearings. Sitting overloaded for a long period of time is not the same thing as a quick bounce or jolt. The damage is cumulative.

You also are changing the way the trailer sits on the axles. Again, not a big deal short term, things flex and bounce. Long term, you stress things like rivets, screws, and staples. They "pull" in the same direction for a long while. Eventually they become unhappy.

Lots of issues.

thanks for the advice, i'm in it now and picking up wheels on Monday, so they'll have been sat for a 7 days ... hope nothing fatal, the tire place said no problem as far as weight .. they're rated to hold 2,000 each , = 4,000 and my trailer comes in at 5k, he thought fine with 65psi for a week .. i'll check the axle rating , it's new. Maybe this post will be helpful for someone in the future !
Old 08-13-2017, 10:12 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
i checked the axle sticker, it says 3500lbs rating ... find it hard to believe that leaving the trailer stationary on one axle for 8 days could damage the bearings? I'm having the breaks checked next this week, I'll have them look at the bearings too ..
Old 08-13-2017, 10:23 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
I hope I'm understanding your question correctly or maybe I'm missing something altogether but....don't you have to jack up one side of the trailer to remove the wheels you're taking to be sandblasted? If so, then the weight which had been supported by those wheels is now being carried by the jack or whatever temporary support you'll be using. I don't see that the remaining wheels will be carrying significantly, if any, more load than they were before.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:38 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
I hope I'm understanding your question correctly or maybe I'm missing something altogether but....don't you have to jack up one side of the trailer to remove the wheels you're taking to be sandblasted? If so, then the weight which had been supported by those wheels is now being carried by the jack or whatever temporary support you'll be using. I don't see that the remaining wheels will be carrying significantly, if any, more load than they were before.
I have duel axle trailer, so removed both wheels from one axle at a time for sand blasting, leaving weight of the trailer on just one axle. With duel axle, to change a flat, you roll onto a small ramp which lifts the wheel needing to be changed up in the air. Maybe I'll take some pics when I reinstall tomorrow. I'm sure these axles are over engineered to take a pounding as they bounce down the highway? Hard to imagine they be damaged by sitting stationary ?
Old 08-13-2017, 12:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickclifford View Post
I have duel axle trailer, so removed both wheels from one axle at a time for sand blasting, leaving weight of the trailer on just one axle. With duel axle, to change a flat, you roll onto a small ramp which lifts the wheel needing to be changed up in the air. Maybe I'll take some pics when I reinstall tomorrow. I'm sure these axles are over engineered to take a pounding as they bounce down the highway? Hard to imagine they be damaged by sitting stationary ?
I get it now. I'm familiar with how to change a tire on a dual axle trailer but for some reason I was imagining you had removed both wheels on one side. Brain freeze on my part. Good luck!

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:42 PM   #13
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
By description I had the same thought.

I don't think 8 days with one axle in the air should not be an issue in my opinion. I would be more concerned about the trailer being disturbed and sitting on one axle set. I would properly support the trailer in the air for no other reason than the trailer would be more stable. That's just me.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 08-13-2017, 03:09 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
By description I had the same thought.

I don't think 8 days with one axle in the air should not be an issue in my opinion. I would be more concerned about the trailer being disturbed and sitting on one axle set. I would properly support the axle in the air for no other reason than the trailer would be more stable. That's just me.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
I thought you weren't supposed to jack the AS by the axle? Or do you mean putting something under the wheel assy?
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:21 PM   #15
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Lifting the trailer by an axle tube is not recommended by Airstream as far as I know.

The axle tube needs no support as it is bolted to the trailer. I will revise one word from axle to trailer in post #13

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action