Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2009, 10:47 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
langley , British Columbia
axle swaps

I recently bought a 1965 caravel ,,,it needs a new floor and i`m putting in a new interior. The brakes and axles and wheels need to be replaced,,,i have found a 2006 airstream frame ,,(i haven`t seen it yet,but it`s only about 20 miles from where i live),it is complete with holding tanks,,,it was a tandem axle trailer,i think it is 22 ft.,, Could i use the axles,brakes and wheels as replacements for my trailer? I`m thinking the axles should be 3000 lbs. Each,,,one more thing,,,,the wasroom in the back of the trailer,,,the tiolet on the right seems to sit quite high,,it`s on a one piece moulded fiberglass floor ,,which includes the shower and the sink,,,do most people stay with this design,,,or change the position of the toilet,,,the window seems to be in the wrong place for the tiolet,,,,,thanks keith langley ,,, british columbia
trout-fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Don't know on the bathroom stuff, but call inland rv (www.inlandrv.com) and ask Andy on the axle stuff. He could tell you original specs for the 65 and for the 2006 and then you could make a more informed decision.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
The new trailer is too wide... even if it's a 22ft'r.. it'd be an 8ft wide trailer. Your trailer is 7'6"... the wheels wouldn't tuck into the bodywork.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:16 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
thanks,,scott,megan and mark,,,,i was thinking of using the 2006 torsion bars with the brakes,,and then putting in a new axel,,i could make the axle the right width and weld the torsion bars to the new axles,,,haven`t got under the trailer to see how the old axle is attatched,,,but the axle looks to be a 2 by 2 square tube which doesn`t seem very big,,,i`ve built a few car trailers,,one was a walking beam ,,,the other 2 were with springs and a axle,,,i will phone inland rv and see what they think,,,,,thanks keith
Old 11-16-2009, 08:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Hi Keith, This file will give you a little info on how the axles work. http://service.airstream.com/files/l...22708290a0.pdf. How about some pics of remodel of the Caravel.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Lee.

I have no idea where you found that article, but it should be deleted.

First of all, I wrote most of it.

Secondly, there are a number of errors in it, that have long been corrected.

Third, the last paragraph, "Checking your axle" I did not write, and is incorrect. I have no idea where that paragraph came from, or who may have added it to the article.

A bad axle can, upon removing the weight, have the torsion arms return below horizontal. However, that has nothing to do with it's ability to carry a pay load.

Therefore, that paragraph states a test that is improper.

The updated article can be located either in our web site, Inland RV Center - The Nations Leading Expert in Airstream Innovations, or in the Airstream Central web site.

Please, for sake of accuracy, do not post that article for someones reference, as it is misleading.

In fact, see if you can get a moderator to change the link you posted, to one that is correct.

Thanks.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:57 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Lee.

I have no idea where you found that article, but it should be deleted.

First of all, I wrote most of it.

Secondly, there are a number of errors in it, that have long been corrected.

Third, the last paragraph, "Checking your axle" I did not write, and is incorrect. I have no idea where that paragraph came from, or who may have added it to the article.

A bad axle can, upon removing the weight, have the torsion arms return below horizontal. However, that has nothing to do with it's ability to carry a pay load.

Therefore, that paragraph states a test that is improper.

The updated article can be located either in our web site, Inland RV Center - The Nations Leading Expert in Airstream Innovations, or in the Airstream Central web site.

Please, for sake of accuracy, do not post that article for someones reference, as it is misleading.

In fact, see if you can get a moderator to change the link you posted, to one that is correct.

Thanks.

Andy
Andy if found the article here. Airstream, Inc :: Service Home. This article was posted by Airstream, Inc :: Home.

So you are saying that Airstream(the mothership) has posted wrong information?

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

Old 11-16-2009, 10:04 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverleeper View Post
Andy if found the article here. Airstream, Inc :: Service Home. This article was posted by Airstream, Inc :: Home.

So your saying that Airstream(the mothership) has posted wrong information?
Lee.

Yes, Airstream then added that last paragraph, that is wrong, according to Henschen.

Also, several changes to that article were made some time ago.

I will call Airstream and see if they can (will) update the article information.

Thanks.

Andy
Old 11-16-2009, 12:05 PM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
You might want to look into Dexter axles. That's what I had put on my Caravel 4 years ago, and it was fairly inexpensive - even complete with new brakes. A local RV shop measured the Caravel and custom ordered the size I needed. Most of the expense was in installation, but it sounds like you can do that yourself.

The 2006 axle is going to be too wide for your caravel, and I don't think you can shorten it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:51 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
thanks for all the input,,,,it`s made me slow down a bit,and to think this out..the 2006 trailer was written off in late 08,,,the wheels,rims,brakes,all the holding tanks and every thing that was under the body is still their and is supposed to be in nearly new condition,,,i helped a guy wire his garage,,he used to own it,he phoned the guy he sold it to,asked if it was for sale, and it was, for the same price he got it for $600.00...my problem is,,are the brakes,drums,rims, wheels,mybe a holding tank worth the cost,,,thanks keith the local airstream dealer in canada is very,very,very expensive
Old 11-16-2009, 02:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Airstream axle info

Lee

I have talked with Airstream, and they will revise that axle information., that's in their web site.

They, at this point, do not know who added the last paragraph, but that will be corrected as well.

Andy
Old 11-16-2009, 02:25 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Lee

I have talked with Airstream, and they will revise that axle information., that's in their web site.

They, at this point, do not know who added the last paragraph, but that will be corrected as well.

Andy
Thanks for the update Andy, I will look forward to Airstreams revision of there library files on THE DURA-FLEX Rubber Torsion Axle GKN (Henschen ).

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

Old 12-05-2009, 10:26 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
I`ve taken the old axel out of the caravel,,,it was quite easy,,,it was held in by 4 7/8 nuts and bolts,,,there was also a weld along the bottom of the frame to the axel(not a good thing),,,,there is a plate about 12ins. Long that is welded to the frame and it hangs down about 2ins.,,,it has a cutout for the axel,,,so when the axel is in,,,,,,, the top of the axel sits against the bottom of the frame,,,,it also has a shock braket on it,,,,my question is,,,,do you need a shock with a torsion axel,,,doesn`t the rubber in the axel act as the shock,,,,also welding anwhere on the axel could cause damage to the rubber ,,,,i want to order a dexter next week,,,,the specs. On the trailer call for a 22.5 degree drop,,,,can i put in a 10 degree,,,i would like the trailer sitting lower ,,,,thanks keith
Old 12-05-2009, 10:34 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by trout-fly View Post
I`ve taken the old axel out of the caravel,,,it was quite easy,,,it was held in by 4 7/8 nuts and bolts,,,there was also a weld along the bottom of the frame to the axel(not a good thing),,,,there is a plate about 12ins. Long that is welded to the frame and it hangs down about 2ins.,,,it has a cutout for the axel,,,so when the axel is in,,,,,,, the top of the axel sits against the bottom of the frame,,,,it also has a shock braket on it,,,,my question is,,,,do you need a shock with a torsion axel,,,doesn`t the rubber in the axel act as the shock,,,,also welding anwhere on the axel could cause damage to the rubber ,,,,i want to order a dexter next week,,,,the specs. On the trailer call for a 22.5 degree drop,,,,can i put in a 10 degree,,,i would like the trailer sitting lower ,,,,thanks keith
Why did Airstream, install the shocks?? And still do. Especially on a single axle trailer, a shock is very important.

But, it's your trailer, to do with as you wish.

The 10 degree starting angle will not be that way, once you put a load on the axle. That would perhaps cause a problem depending on the size tires you would use, that could hit the wheel well.

The original axle mounting bolts were 5/8 inch.

Andy
Old 12-05-2009, 11:01 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Best to stick with what the original engineers can up with. There are a few threads on the forums where shock mounts have been cut off the old axle and welded onto the new one.

I'll bet trout-flys 7/8" comes from the wrench size used to take the bolts off and Andys 5/8" comes from the actual bolt diameter. In that case both are correct.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

Old 12-05-2009, 01:42 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
i did use a a 7/8 wrench to take off the bolts,,,right now the shock mount is on the end of the old torsion arm,,,when i get the new one i`m a little concerned about the heat going along the arm to the axel where the rubber is,,,,but i will install the shock,,,i chose the dexter because the local spring shop in langley b.c. handles their product,,,it comes complete with brakes and mounting bracket,,,,but it costs $771 can. plus shipping from calgary(about $125),,,they don`t handle the originnal,,,,where would the name of the axel be located,,,then i would know what axel i have thanks keith
Old 12-05-2009, 03:08 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by trout-fly View Post
i did use a a 7/8 wrench to take off the bolts,,,right now the shock mount is on the end of the old torsion arm,,,when i get the new one i`m a little concerned about the heat going along the arm to the axel where the rubber is,,,,but i will install the shock,,,i chose the dexter because the local spring shop in langley b.c. handles their product,,,it comes complete with brakes and mounting bracket,,,,but it costs $771 can. plus shipping from calgary(about $125),,,they don`t handle the originnal,,,,where would the name of the axel be located,,,then i would know what axel i have thanks keith
The original axle installed on your Caravel was made by Henschen, a couple of blocks away from Airstream in Jackson Center. The original rating was 3000 pounds, but can be increased to 3200 pounds, "AND NO MORE". It also had 10 inch brakes. 12 inch brakes may not fit within your wheel well.

There is a data plate spot welded to the square axle tube, about 1 1/2" X 3".

Installing the shock brackets on a new axle, is OK, provided the welder doesn't horse around with the welding.

Replace the 5/8 inch bolts with grade "8" hardware, if you can.

Andy
Old 12-05-2009, 05:45 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Thanks Andy ,,,,i told the owner that the rating should be 3000,,,,he told me that dexter makes 2000 and 3500,,,they stopped making 3000`s years ago,,i asked him a couple of times and he assured me that 3000 is really 3500 ,,,i haven`t ordered them yet,,,i was going to order them on monday,,i`ll give it a few days,,,you figure 3200 is max,,,,thanks keith
Old 12-05-2009, 06:12 PM   #19

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I believe I have the 3500 on my Caravel, and it has been no problem. It rides very smoothly, and we've been really happy with it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote