Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2008, 12:12 AM   #21
Mini Rivet

1975 25' Tradewind
Holland , Michigan
New back plates and drums

Here's the latest on my axles.
I ordered new Timken bearings and races from Auto Parts Fast at RockAuto ($89.00) delivered. Inside: race No. 25510 bearing No. 25580 or Set52, Outside: race No. LM67010 bearing No. LM67048 or Set6.
I was trying to find new brake shoes and read on this forum that a loaded back plate would probably be cheaper and they are. I was also looking for a place to turn the drums and the cheapest place I could find that would do the brake and magnet surface wanted $30.00 each.
I called Axis Products Main and they said they had back plates for $28.50 and drums without bearings for $38.50, so I pick the back plates and drums up last week on my way through Indiana.
I installed the back plates today and was beginning to replace the Chinese races with the timken's I bought earlier I found that the inboard bearings are the same but the outboard ones on the new drums are larger so some of the new bearing I bought will not work.
So I guess I'll have to spend so more money on new bearings, the bearings for the outboard side of the new drums are race No. 15245 bearing No. 15123 or Set43 about $50.00 form Auto Parts Fast at RockAuto.

I would have been better off buying new axles from Axis Products Main for $600.00

Here's what I have spent:
Rebuild axles...................$66.00
4, Back Plates.................$114.00
4, Drums.........................$154.00
Bearings..........................$89.00
S.S bolts for back plates...$17.00
Axle mounting bolts.........$12.00
4 sets new bearing...........$50.00
Gas to get to Indiana........$25.00
20 new lug nuts.................$??.??

Total................................$527.00

bmklawt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 07:09 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmklawt View Post
Here's the latest on my axles...I would have been better off buying new axles from Axis Products Main for $600.00
But it wouldn't have been nearly as fun!

Great Thread - Thanks a bunch
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:15 PM   #23
Mini Rivet

1975 25' Tradewind
Holland , Michigan
Standing on my own feet

Last week I thought I would replace the Chinese races in the new drums with the Timken ones I purchased, The inner one is the same but the outer one takes a larger O.D. bearing than was in the old Kesley Hayes drum.
I put in a call to Axis axles Axis Products Main and told them of my predicament and they sent me out 4 new outer bearings and also sent 4 new seals for free.
I packed all the bearings and when I when to install the inner bearing I found that Auto Parts Fast at RockAuto had sent one of the wrong size. I gave them a call and they had the new bearing on my door step at 10:00 am the next morning.
I had three of the drums installed last week and today I put the last one on and got the wheels mounted, I didn't measure the before height but I bet I gained 2 more inches of height with the rebuilt axles. I can see the top of the tire through the wheel well now.

Total cost so far $547.00 and I still need to get the wheels\drums balanced and alignment checked. The local Airstream dealer does neither, I'll have to find a truck stop and get the wheels balanced and I will probably end up at the Airstream factory for the alignment check.
If I had to do it over again I would buy new axles from Axis Products Main $600.00 for the pair and everything would have been included.

I only get about 3/4" of travel with the new torsion springs, I hope this is because there new and it's 15 degrees out, I have read on the forums there should be up to 2" of travel.

I also noticed after getting the wheels on that the rear axle is about 2" longer than the front axle, on the street side the rear wheel sticks out farther than the front wheel 1-1/8" and on the curb side 3/4". The axle is not a replacement either as the serial numbers on axles are only 3 numbers apart. It is also not because of tow in/out casper chamber, what ever it's called.

Here are some before and after pictures:

Old 01-10-2009, 05:12 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Last week I thought I would replace the Chinese races in the new drums with the Timken ones I purchased, The inner one is the same but the outer one takes a larger O.D. bearing than was in the old Kesley Hayes drum.
I put in a call to Axis axles Axis Products Main and told them of my predicament and they sent me out 4 new outer bearings and also sent 4 new seals for free.
I packed all the bearings and when I when to install the inner bearing I found that Auto Parts Fast at RockAuto had sent one of the wrong size. I gave them a call and they had the new bearing on my door step at 10:00 am the next morning.
I had three of the drums installed last week and today I put the last one on and got the wheels mounted, I didn't measure the before height but I bet I gained 2 more inches of height with the rebuilt axles. I can see the top of the tire through the wheel well now.

Total cost so far $547.00 and I still need to get the wheels\drums balanced and alignment checked. The local Airstream dealer does neither, I'll have to find a truck stop and get the wheels balanced and I will probably end up at the Airstream factory for the alignment check.
If I had to do it over again I would buy new axles from Axis Products Main $600.00 for the pair and everything would have been included.

I only get about 3/4" of travel with the new torsion springs, I hope this is because there new and it's 15 degrees out, I have read on the forums there should be up to 2" of travel.

I also noticed after getting the wheels on that the rear axle is about 2" longer than the front axle, on the street side the rear wheel sticks out farther than the front wheel 1-1/8" and on the curb side 3/4". The axle is not a replacement either as the serial numbers on axles are only 3 numbers apart. It is also not because of tow in/out casper chamber, what ever it's called.

Here are some before and after pictures:

There should be about 3 inches of travel, of the tires, from loaded to no load.

If not, the rubber rods are shot, not in your case, or they are the wrong length, or wrong composition.

If they are the wrong length, (too long), the wheels will not drop enough, because the rating of the axle is excessive, since the trailer weight will not load the axle correctly.

As an example, if the new rating is 5000 pounds per axle, the trailer weight will be a minimal load, instead of substancial.

The old outer bearing, LM 67048, was replaced years ago with the 15123 bearing.

The overall width of your axles should be the same, as before the rebuild.

Henschen quit the rebuilding many years ago, after they discovered that the inside of the square steel tubes, more often than not, were loaded with rust, which weakens the tube. Accordingly, the liability factor for them, became huge, since they could not offer any form of any type of guarantee, nor could the certify the quality of the steel tube, as being safe to use.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:11 PM   #25
Mini Rivet

1975 25' Tradewind
Holland , Michigan
stupid me

Duh, maybe I am not get the travel because between taking the axles off and putting them on I have gutted the trailer.

Andy will I be able to tell by looking at them if they where put together the same as when new, I crawled under there and looked where the tube enters the arm and I can not see the end of the tube. I would think if its out by an inch per side I would be able to see the end of the axle tube.

Axis also stated when I picked up the axles the old cords that where in there did not match up to the rating on the name plate, they thought it was closer to 3200 to 3500 pounds per axle. With the cords they replaced them with they rated the rebuilt axles at 3200 pounds. They also stated the piece that goes inside the axle tube was an odd shape, it was not square.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:14 PM   #26
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Duh, maybe I am not get the travel because between taking the axles off and putting them on I have gutted the trailer.
Could very well be.

A couple of dozen, "HEAVY" sand bags, would answer that question for you.

Or maybe a neighborhood gathering of 15 or 20 people.

Andy
Old 01-10-2009, 08:01 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
I think it may be that they'll take orders through a distributer like GSM?

I agree Marcus, last I heard they didn't want to talk to us buyers directly. Maybe the economy change is affecting a change? Where's Henry when you need him!
Marc
My thoughts exactly. I talked to an "RV customizer" last year about doing some mods to mine and he simply wasn't interested because the job was too small. Got a call last week, and he's totally changed his tune. Being lazy - and not having access to a wood shop - and not wanting to buy a whole bunch of tools, and having had time to do only half of the work myself.... well I think I'll just take him up on his offer.

Paula
Old 01-10-2009, 08:04 PM   #28
Mini Rivet

1975 25' Tradewind
Holland , Michigan
If memory serves me right this is what Axis said the torsion bar (if that's what it's call) looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1082.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	73610  
Old 01-10-2009, 08:08 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I think someone (HiHoRV??) posted a pic of his axle that he cut in half and it looked like that drawing..... Andy said that was an "experiment" that Henschen used for a while... but then went back to the conventional rod after having better results with the tried and true rod...
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:09 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
To Inland Andy

First - I always appreciate your posts, and continue to hope that you'll consider opening another office on the east coast - Virginia Beach could be a Great Location!

This is a "get well soon" too. Knee replacement surgery and the physical therapy afterwards is NO fun, but within 6 to 10 weeks you'll feel like you got new axles, shocks, AND your running gear balanced!

We'll all have to start calling you "Smooth Andy". Take care, and don't over-hitch yourself while recovering.

Paula Ford
Virginia Beach
Old 11-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
this is a great axle thread worth bumping up for attention..
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:13 PM   #32

Toronto , Ontario
Hi, did the axle refurbishment really only cost you $100? was it per axle? How hard were they to remove and reinstall? Also, how long did the refurbishment process take? I am from Canada but I am only 6 hours away from Axis products...I think it's worth the drive. Buying new axles and disc brakes will break the bank.
engman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:15 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by engman View Post
Hi, did the axle refurbishment really only cost you $100? was it per axle? How hard were they to remove and reinstall? Also, how long did the refurbishment process take? I am from Canada but I am only 6 hours away from Axis products...I think it's worth the drive. Buying new axles and disc brakes will break the bank.

As far as I know, nobody rebuilds the axles any more. This post was from 2008 originally. Times have changed.

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:24 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I understand the folks referred to in this thread still do this but only in Indiana. I would contact them.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 02-09-2014, 07:50 AM   #35
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
I understand the folks referred to in this thread still do this but only in Indiana. I would contact them.
Axis Products purchased Henschen about 3 years ago, then merged with Al-Ko to form Al-Ko Axis about 2 years ago. They do not rebuild torsion axles anymore. I have installed their axles on Airstream's & other vintage trailers for the past 8 years or so. They made me their National Distributor about 2 years ago.
Thanks,
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:00 AM   #36
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Rebuilding torsion axles was deemed a "no-no" by Henschen, many years ago.

The reason was and is, the inside of the square tube, can and does collect water. Since the tube is steel, the water causes rust, which weakens the tube.

How much weaker does the tube become depends on how much rust has formed.

The liability rebuilding a torsion axle, for the rebuilder, far exceeds the rebuilding costs and/or profits.

Andy
Old 02-09-2014, 01:05 PM   #37
Mini Rivet

1975 25' Tradewind
Holland , Michigan
Remember this was back in 2008.
Yes I did have my axles rebuild for less than $100.00 I think the actual price was $66.00 for both, dropped the axles off in the morning and picked them up in the evening.
When I pick them up I was told they would have sold me a 2 new axles with 10" brakes for $600.00 for the pair. They also said they have the prints for all Airstream trailers and can build direct bolt on replacements including shock mounts for any year trailer.
After the total rebuild of axles, brakes and bearings I spent close to $600.00, see post #21 of this thread for a breakdown of what I spent.

In 2010 I bought a 1966 Globetrotter, I called Axis and order a new axle I think it was a little over $300.00, it was a perfect fit.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:50 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
The vendors know the story...so let it be written so let it be known
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 02-13-2018, 12:40 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
White Pigeon , Michigan
Quote:
The first of many projects

I noticed my axles were in the horizontal position so I thought I'd take a look and see how bad the are.
When I jacked the trailer up the the tires didn't stay on the ground they moved right up with the trailer, after removing the wheels I found the spindle arms to be locked up solid with zero movement. I also found the shocks were shot they are regular automotive shocks and not the kind the can be mounted horizontally.
Off they came and in the next few weeks I will be traveling to Indiana to pick up new ones at the same time I will go to Palomino Parts in Colon Michigan, for a new water heater and furnace and to Goshen Stamping in Goshen Indiana and pick up some lift parts for my popup.

Here's a few pics of the axle:
I know it's been a long time since this was posted, but I was wondering what shops you worked with. I am from that area and would like to work with someone local when I finally buy an airstream. Thanks!
emilyweav is offline   Reply With Quote