Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Axle pros and cons.

OK, I have heard from both sellers and both of course say theirs is the best. Now I would like to hear from ACTUAL CUSTOMERS. Why should I buy one over the other? There is a $100 price difference between them. What makes one worth more than the other? Looking for pros and cons of both.
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Which sellers are you referring to? If they are who I think, one is a direct bolt in and the other requires some drilling.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Which sellers are you referring to? If they are who I think, one is a direct bolt in and the other requires some drilling.
That depends on what year trailer.

But, 2 basic models are available.

1. Made to original Henschen/Airstream specs.

2. The other is a knock off version with substandard materials compared to the Henschen version.

Laboratory tests were performed, one # 2.

History speaks for # 1.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Yep, those are the two sellers. I have an installer that is going to do the work. He is familiar with both set ups and says it only takes 10 minutes or so more work to install the one requiring drilling and likes the shock mounting set of that one also. He says that he has never had either one come back after installation with any problems. All things being equal (?) I would naturally go with the less expensive one. The more expensive seller will not match the price of the other. One is said to use a more robust spindle with 2 grease fittings. Sounds like a plus to me. I respect both the sellers as the experienced "experts" that they are and want to make the right choice the first time.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Yep, those are the two sellers. I have an installer that is going to do the work. He is familiar with both set ups and says it only takes 10 minutes or so more work to install the one requiring drilling and likes the shock mounting set of that one also. He says that he has never had either one come back after installation with any problems. All things being equal (?) I would naturally go with the less expensive one. The more expensive seller will not match the price of the other. One is said to use a more robust spindle with 2 grease fittings. Sounds like a plus to me. I respect both the sellers as the experienced "experts" that they are and want to make the right choice the first time.
$100 for 10 minutes work would be $600 an hour. I've installed both kinds (actually 3, I've also installed Dexters), and I'd go with the less expensive one. I own a drill and I'm not afraid to use it.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:59 PM   #6
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
I do not believe there is a right or wrong choice. Just different choices. Most manufacturers of any product that want to stay i business for a long time will produce a product that will last a long time. (Look at the automotive industry)

More money usually means a better product and that isn't a guarentee it is better. If the installer states he has never had issues after an installation over a significant number of installs then the sampling doesn't become one of quality or durability. You could look at other things like service availability after the sale. Like what if you are 4 states away, is there a dealer network? Is the delivery time the same? And the difference of a $100 for an installed price does not seem much in my opinion. And I would take the advise of the installler, since it is that person or company you will deal with should there be issues after the installation. Even if it is a product issue.

Also the opinion of a competitor about some one else's product does not count for me. Some one running down the competition does not score high in my opinon. It just isn't nice and I don't do not nice.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 01-24-2012, 06:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post

Also the opinion of a competitor about some one else's product does not count for me. Some one running down the competition does not score high in my opinon. It just isn't nice and I don't do not nice.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Dito, I totally agree and thank you for saying that. That is why I ask for customer responses.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Actual customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
OK, I have heard from both sellers and both of course say theirs is the best. Now I would like to hear from ACTUAL CUSTOMERS. Why should I buy one over the other? There is a $100 price difference between them. What makes one worth more than the other? Looking for pros and cons of both.
I bought Axis axles from Colin Hyde. You can read all about it here (if you haven't already) Drilling the holes was not a problem.

I read posts about which axle is better, but like Action, I tend not to take the guy's word that is selling. I worked in sales for three years and there isn't a better product than the one I'm selling. That is a sales rule written somewhere.
I do know that these axles that are $100 different are made at the same factory. The level of quality between the two question was posed to the Owner/President of Axis axles. Here is what he had to say:

It is true that I am the owner of Axis Products. I work along side 180 of the finest people that make Axis Products their chosen place of work. We take what we do, and the trust put in us by our customers very seriously. What I want to make very clear to you is that the axle you put under your trailer is the same axle trusted by the United States Military, World Class Construction Conglomerates, Agricultural Companies all over North America, and literally 1000's of customers that make their living in the transportation business moving $500 units up to $600,000 boats. You did NOT buy a second rate axle; you bought the finest materials that are available for running gear. You were NOT given something "less-than"; samples of your axle have been independently tested at the Transportation Research Center in Ohio and proved to be a durable, well constructed axle that successfully conquered a torture track that destroyed the GMC truck that was pulling it. The facts are that Axis Products, Inc. acquired Henschen Axle in the late summer of 2010. At that point Axis Products, Inc.. had more than a million axles on the roads of America, Canada, and Mexico. Of course we recognized the Henschen Axle name and design as something of value. The Airstream company had used the Henschen Axle for years with success, and we wanted to continue to offer it but that doesn't make our time tested axle system worth any less. To me it is like the difference between two luxury automobiles such as Ferrari and Lamborghini. If the requirement was to get to 60 mph in less than 10 seconds wouldn't they both be head and shoulders above the requirement? The truth is that both axles have the same warranty, the same craftsman, and the same quality materials; the difference is that the two axles once were manufactured under two different roofs with different craftsman and now they are produced under one with the same quality minded people. Axis Products stands behind every one of the 4000 parts we sell and every axle we make. We are Quality Driven and Customer Focused and we prove it everyday, we will be here when you need us.

Sincerely,

Eric Overbey
President/Owner
Axis Products, Inc.

Buy what you think is best for you. You might want to give Dexter a shot. Any way, you'll be happy with a new axle.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Lance, thank you, excellant post.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
FWIW, I picked up three new Axis axles at the factory in Elkhart, IN last year and put them under our trailer. They were made as complete assembly's including the brakes and drums, and I have been very happy with them. However, just to be confusing, I found out a couple of months that Dexter makes a self adjusting brake assembly. Even though I will be under the trailer repacking the bearings and checking the brakes as part of regular maintenance, I think I would put the self adjusting units on next time. The Axis axles I wouldn't change a thing about. It was a direct bolt in and do-it-yourself level project.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Maybe I'm over analyzing this, but I would think drilling more holes in the frame would tend to weaken it. But that may not matter with how smooth are roads are today.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Tiger,

The holes are not drilled in the frame, but in the axle mounting bracket. I think that the drilling consists of enlarging the existing holes, but I am not certain.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post
Maybe I'm over analyzing this, but I would think drilling more holes in the frame would tend to weaken it. But that may not matter with how smooth are roads are today.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:23 PM   #13
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
........ It was a direct bolt in and do-it-yourself level project.

For your project there are direct bolt in axles. It is my understanding that at about pre-1969 all model Airstreams require some drilling to make the axles fit.

And with full disclosure I must state I have never changed an axle.

>>>>>>Action
Old 01-25-2012, 12:51 AM   #14
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
I put in axles from Inland RV. They were bolt ins, and I order the discs brakes along with 'em. Not cheap.... But they work, and seem first rate and tough.

I think having new axles is far better than not having new axles.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:06 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Springfield , Illinois
I ordered axles from Inland without any thought of going any where else. The service that I have received and my questions answered are worth it. I have done business with Andy and his staff for my water tank, water heater, new door hinges and have been very happy with their service.
Riverrat6270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:18 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Thank you all for your inputs, I have made my decision and placed my order.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:26 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I thought Dexter made axels that would fit our trailer as well?

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:31 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
To the best of my knowledge, Axis and Dexter are now the only two torsion style axle makers for the size axles Airstreams use. I ordered my Axis ones from Andy, but picked them up at the factory to save shipping costs (three axles are heavy and expensive to ship) There are other vendors from which you can order as well including the Dexter axles.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I thought the Henshen made Airstream axels? So are their 3 manufactures now or what?

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:54 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Axis acquired Henshen in 2010.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote