Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2023, 12:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Colorado Springs , Colorado
Axle installation - DFW area

Hello! Long time lurker, first time poster. The dual axels on my 76 Argosy 26 are shot. Time for new brakes anyhow so just want to replace them. I live on a shoestring and do most of the repairs myself, but I'd like to pay a professional to install new axels. I'll be in the Dallas Fort Worth area in a couple of stops, which appears to be one of the few places the Dexter axel assemblies can be shipped without an extra $250 fee, so I was thinking to order them myself to avoid a huge shop markup and then bring them to whomever will install them. (I full-time in the Argosy, so I'll have to make an appointment for when I'm coming or going from DFW.) Can anyone recommend a reliable shop? Mobile service also an option. Thanks!
Argosynaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 04:40 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Paradise , Texas
A&p vintage trailer works in paradise tx, about a 45minute ride from vogt in ft worth
Crackerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 07:25 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackerman View Post
A&p vintage trailer works in paradise tx, about a 45minute ride from vogt in ft worth

Thanks very much! I left them a voicemail, with no reply... do you happen to know the best way to reach them? They sound like just the right shop for the job.
Old 03-26-2023, 06:56 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Paradise , Texas
Call the second number listed.

The shop was hit by a storm this past Friday, (don't worry! No damage to any trailers!) and it took the internet out, therefore phone service is terrible. (Very country location)
Crackerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 02:38 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackerman View Post
Call the second number listed.

The shop was hit by a storm this past Friday, (don't worry! No damage to any trailers!) and it took the internet out, therefore phone service is terrible. (Very country location)

Thanks very much for the info, contact has been made!
Old 03-31-2023, 02:55 PM   #6
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosynaut View Post

..... Dexter axel assemblies can be shipped without an extra $250 fee, so I was thinking to order them myself to avoid a huge shop markup and then bring them to whomever will install them.
There is a lot of data needed to order an axle.
Know what you are ordering before you place the order.
If Dexter builds it, it does not matter if it fits or not, you own it.

Action
Old 03-31-2023, 04:05 PM   #7
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
There is a lot of data needed to order an axle.
Know what you are ordering before you place the order.
If Dexter builds it, it does not matter if it fits or not, you own it.

Action
Second above.

I just helped a friend replace an axle on an R Pod. No I wasn't part of the measuring team. He didn't look close enough at the build to spec sheet and confirm. His outside bracket measure turned into Dexter's outside measurement. I was there as the brackets were slowly welded into the new correct locations. Yeah, he messed up.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 11:11 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Second above.

I just helped a friend replace an axle on an R Pod. No I wasn't part of the measuring team. He didn't look close enough at the build to spec sheet and confirm. His outside bracket measure turned into Dexter's outside measurement. I was there as the brackets were slowly welded into the new correct locations. Yeah, he messed up.

Appreciate the thoughts here. I've made my appointment with A&P for a couple of months down the line, and I'll just have the axels shipped to them. A&P wouldn't be able to measure before ordering them either, as the lead time on the order is at least a month and I'm not in that area yet. I tried calling to speak to a human at Inland RV before putting in the order, but their phone was a busy signal for three hours today (Inland RV, y'all okay over there? XD) . This does confirm my suspicion that I should order from a knowledgeable person on the phone at the very least though.
Old 04-01-2023, 07:45 AM   #9
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Inland is having issues. Would not recommend.
You might check BBB to get an idea of what is happening

Action
Old 04-02-2023, 08:54 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
Inland is having issues. Would not recommend.
You might check BBB to get an idea of what is happening

Action

Yikes, thanks for the tip. Can y'all recommend a solid parts shop (anywhere in the States) with a knowledgeable staff to order these from?
Old 04-02-2023, 09:07 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Westcliffe , Colorado
Call Colin Hyde. His number is on the forums here somewhere. He is who I called for my 75 Argosy axles. He knows exactly what you will need.
JCRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 09:28 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Toronto , Ontario
Remember to check the measurements on the axles when you pick it up. Dexter messed up my order but thankfully I checked and they sent new ones.
HoldenGatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 10:02 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I have dealt with A&P and they are very capable and friendly. (They replaced the rear quarter-panel of my 22’ Airstream.)

But allow me to offer you some advice: Do not take your eggs to the restaurant and ask them to fry them for you.
When you order parts to avoid “mark-up” by the installer…YOU are responsible if the parts installed are later found to be defective… because YOU supplied the parts. You will have to reschedule subsequent replacements, You will have to arrange for replacement parts, You will have to risk any “core charge” until the defective axle is returned to the mfr’r, You will have to prove to the axle mfr’r that the installation was not the cause of the failure. YOU will be sorry when you find you’ve not saved any money whatsoever.

You will at that point be asking the installer to “correct” the problem…only to discover THEY are not responsible for undertaking a Warranty-Claim on parts YOU supplied. (The only time a shop is responsible for both parts and labor is when they supply Both.)

You may also find that essential items necessary for the installation were not included and therefore your repair-job will require additional time and cost …because the installer would have ordered those items you did not realize were also necessary….and you’ll incur additional costs for that as well.

Let A&P (or whomever) order and supply the parts and make whatever mark-up is proper. IN FACT you may discover the actual cost of the axles in the end is NO DIFFERENT because the installer received a Mfr’s Discount to-which You as end-user are not entitled.

Ordering parts and taking them or shipping them to the installer…is almost always a Bad Idea. It also does not endear you to the installing shop….and post-service good-will is Always a valuable thing.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 10:46 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
I have dealt with A&P and they are very capable and friendly. (They replaced the rear quarter-panel of my 22’ Airstream.)

But allow me to offer you some advice: Do not take your eggs to the restaurant and ask them to fry them for you.
When you order parts to avoid “mark-up” by the installer…YOU are responsible if the parts installed are later found to be defective… because YOU supplied the parts. You will have to reschedule subsequent replacements, You will have to arrange for replacement parts, You will have to risk any “core charge” until the defective axle is returned to the mfr’r, You will have to prove to the axle mfr’r that the installation was not the cause of the failure. YOU will be sorry when you find you’ve not saved any money whatsoever.

You will at that point be asking the installer to “correct” the problem…only to discover THEY are not responsible for undertaking a Warranty-Claim on parts YOU supplied. (The only time a shop is responsible for both parts and labor is when they supply Both.)

You may also find that essential items necessary for the installation were not included and therefore your repair-job will require additional time and cost …because the installer would have ordered those items you did not realize were also necessary….and you’ll incur additional costs for that as well.

Let A&P (or whomever) order and supply the parts and make whatever mark-up is proper. IN FACT you may discover the actual cost of the axles in the end is NO DIFFERENT because the installer received a Mfr’s Discount to-which You as end-user are not entitled.

Ordering parts and taking them or shipping them to the installer…is almost always a Bad Idea. It also does not endear you to the installing shop….and post-service good-will is Always a valuable thing.
Considerable wisdom well beyond the Airstream realm contained in the foregoing comment!
WestieHouse is offline   Reply With Quote