Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Axle, Get 'er done!

I spent more time worrying about it than it took to do it,,, Had a b-day party for our 4 year old grand gal at 2pm,, While there I made a big old cup of cowboy coffee.. Boil the water in a cup with about 1/4 cup of coffee... Wow,,

Got the cake and ice cream ate,,, and along with the coffee I was ready to tackle anything impossible,.. Got home about 4pm, and set my Overlander up in the air on jack stands and got my impact wrench oiled up and had the old axles out in 30 minutes,..

Dragging them out was the hard part by myself but got it done.. The new axles rolled under with my floor jack and once near the location I jacked them up and used a large punch to hold one side in place and then jacked up the other side till I could get the bolts in.. Once the bolts were in one side I then went back to the other and put the bolts in where the punch was holding everything near center..

I did have the foresight to tie the shocks to the axle before rolling them under the trailer as the clearance between the shock stud and trailer frame must be just a little more than needed but why take the risk..

In all truth,, other than manhandling the axles alone,, the gas line that ran UNDER the axes took me more time than anything as I did not want to damage it or kink it..

Now when I got to the brake wires,, I had to trim them back almost 3" as they were rotten.. Salt my guess as the PO just used a wire nuts to tie them together with nothing for sealer to keep salt water out of the wires.. I used crimp style connectors and a large dose of silly puckey to seal the wires and the crimp style connector.. Total time,, 3 hours.. Without the gas line and rotten wired and some help I think the twin axles might be swapped in less than 2 hours total time.

My trailer now sits a true 4" taller than before.. Glad its all done and now feel better about running full pressure in my tires.. I left them on the soft side to allow for some cushion with the worn out hard rubber axles before.. Looking to pick up some mpg now with the tires fully inflated.

Thanks goes out to InLand Rv,,, for the support,,, pride in shipping and a factory fit.. And the great price, fast shipping at the time I ordered them..

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Guess that means you will be headed west on Thursday or Friday. Glad to hear the job went smoothly.
Maybe you should be doing this for a living. I've heard of people paying $360.00 to have the job done. Just labor cost.
Unless you are growing Mary Jane on the farm, I doubt you're knocking down $180.00 an hour.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
amazing what strong coffee and lots of sugar can do! Congrats on getting 'em done.

chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
No mary jane around here,, well planted anyway..

Still have a big x,, marking the date but watching the weather and looking at the 1200 acres of beans and milo needed planted yet.

I can tell my DW is starting to drag her feet about the trip as we have a wedding the first of June,, and DW is stuck with all the decorations.. Dresses,, and cake.. See mild panic setting in..

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote