Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2012, 06:09 AM   #81
3 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , California
Dexter will install shock brackets on axles built in Indiana, but not in Oklahoma.
Greg
2005 Chevrolet SSR 6.0 LS2
airstreamlosangeles.com
ZoomZoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
I have a 1991 34' Limited with 2,800 pound factory axles that are pretty shot. Who could I talk to at Dexter about getting the proper replacement axle. I'd like to raise the height because I'm going to 16" wheels and my tow vehicle is a 3/4 ton 2000 Yukon XL. I've looked at http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/600-8K_Cat_1-12/2300-3500_Lbs_1-12.pdf and I don't see anything mentioned about shock mounts or axles other than the 22.5 degree down as the tallest-standing variety.
Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:03 AM   #83
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bryant View Post
I have a 1991 34' Limited with 2,800 pound factory axles that are pretty shot. Who could I talk to at Dexter about getting the proper replacement axle. I'd like to raise the height because I'm going to 16" wheels and my tow vehicle is a 3/4 ton 2000 Yukon XL. I've looked at http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/600-8K_Cat_1-12/2300-3500_Lbs_1-12.pdf and I don't see anything mentioned about shock mounts or axles other than the 22.5 degree down as the tallest-standing variety.
See here and under Torflex Specifications for more information:

Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - Torflex Axles
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:20 AM   #84
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Axle support

Quote:
Steve,
As has been mentioned previously, Dexter's largest retail handler is Redneck Trailer Supplies. There is a Redneck location in Wichita. There are other retail handlers of Dexter axles, however. The Dexter option for shock brackets on a #10 axle is E 1501. It is not something that normal retail outlets know about. I would call Dexter support at 260-495-6000 and ask for Denise to make sure it is possible to get that option spec'd on your axle order. Dexter axles are not the only rubber torsion axles that will work for you.

You can get Al-Ko/Axis axles From Colin Hyde Trailer Restorations that can be spec'd with Henschen type mounting brackets and shock mounts already welded on.

You may also get Rockwell American Axles from Quality Trailer. Made in Texas. They have a bracket that is similar to the original Henschen bracket. Drilling is not typically required. They do offer 35 degree down starting angle and many other options like extra long shielded brake wires. They do not have a shock bracket option.

Having seen your thread and the skills you have, I would suggest cutting the old shock brackets off of the old axle and welding them on the new axles.

I'm attaching a few Dexter drawings of their Airstream shock mount.

Dexter Shock brackets.pdf

E_1492.pdf

E_1493.pdf

E_1501.pdf

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:44 AM   #85
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Ganglin and Top,
Thanks so very much for this helpful information. I've talked to Colin Hyde about the Al-Ko axles and various options and I've bought stuff from Redneck a couple of times here locally. I'll look into all options before I buy, but this is great. The Rockwell American axle information on the web is very good and shows the 32 degree down option.

In my former life as a tractor-trailer mechanic, we converted all of our trucks with conventional greased bearings to oilers and that was 40 years ago! I can't believe that you can only get oiler options on axles for about 7,000 pound ratings and up for light trailers in this day and age.

All my best,

Steve
Old 09-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #86
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Top, that is great info. Thanks,
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:09 AM   #87
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Ganglin and Top,
Thanks so very much for this helpful information. I've talked to Colin Hyde about the Al-Ko axles and various options and I've bought stuff from Redneck a couple of times here locally. I'll look into all options before I buy, but this is great. The Rockwell American axle information on the web is very good and shows the 32 degree down option.

In my former life as a tractor-trailer mechanic, we converted all of our trucks with conventional greased bearings to oilers and that was 40 years ago! I can't believe that you can only get oiler options on axles for about 7,000 pound ratings and up for light trailers in this day and age.

All my best,

Steve
Some of the Axle Manufacturers start offering the Oil Bearing setup on 8,000# axles and above. I know that is what Hayes used to do. The problem with the oil bearings (it is better) is that the cap is plastic and they are about $25 each. In the AZ heat, you will be changing them every 5 years or so. If someone steps on them to get onto a trailer, they will break. They aren't like the heavy duty steel or aluminum caps that the big rigs have. If one breaks from the heat, or someone stepping on them while you are on the road, it is a real hassle.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #88
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
I can't believe that you can only get oiler options on axles for about 7,000 pound ratings and up for light trailers in this day and age.
That is mainly because they have to be designed for the lowest common denominator, which in this case would be non-professionals towing for pleasure. While Airstreamers don't generally fall into this category, I have seen people that will tow trailers for 10+ years with zero maintenance, sometimes for several years without even any dust caps on the hubs, and act surprised when something disintegrates from neglect.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Terry, I understand your point. People who don't maintain or worse abuse equipment rate pretty low in my book.

My dad started out life as a mechanic and taught heavy vehicle engine/drivetrain overhaul in the army during WWII. He brought me up with a wrench in one hand and a grease gun in the other (when I wasn't cleaning the shop). I knew the words preventive maintainence before the age of ten.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:01 AM   #90
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Springfield , South Carolina
Terry, you sure are right on folks not knowing/caring. Then there is the industry with some designs like no grease fittings on front suspension of Dodge Durango. I just replaced my complete front end with Moog and now I have grease fittings everywhere.
Another is the sealed front bearings. I have taken out two on the Durango because they cannot be greased ! ! ! ! It has 217K on it now and I will run it 300K min.

It came with a big oversize tranny with the trailer towing kit but I don't hook the AS to it, just 6X10 cargo trailer or other trails with a GVW of 3500 or so. The 2500HD is a different animal all together and will stay with it though I wish it were a crew or extended cab.
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
So I have a 1972 Argosy 20' that has the trailing arm at 0* when wet. But, I've got popped rivets on my pan, lots of them. When I jack up the trailer, the tires drop about 2" before they lift off the ground. I need to figure this out before I feel comfortable towing it. More information, the trailer sat garaged for 12 years before I purchased it. Is there a reliable way to test the axle to determine if it needs replacing.
Right now I'm thinking I need new axles. What do you think?
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:43 AM   #92
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I just found this thread. Thanks for starting it, Terry and for crawling under the trailers to take pictures.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:45 PM   #93
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by DryFly View Post
So I have a 1972 Argosy 20' that has the trailing arm at 0* when wet. But, I've got popped rivets on my pan, lots of them. When I jack up the trailer, the tires drop about 2" before they lift off the ground. I need to figure this out before I feel comfortable towing it. More information, the trailer sat garaged for 12 years before I purchased it. Is there a reliable way to test the axle to determine if it needs replacing.
Right now I'm thinking I need new axles. What do you think?
If those are the original axles, I would change them even if they appear to be fine. I can't imagine that the rubber would be good, or would last much longer if it is 40 years old.