Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2020, 04:09 PM   #1
62 Flying Cloud

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Lakewood Ranch , Florida
Axle? Brake Shoes? or Bearings? Oh My!

Hi All,

As I set out to take my 1962 Flying Cloud for a trip to the Polisher, I heard a metal grinding noise in both wheels. Jacked her up, spun the wheels. Metal to metal sound. Smooth spin. Ocassional clunk like something is bounding around inside (the axle).

I live in the Sarasota, FL area (West Coast) and need to find somebody reputable and able to work on a vintage trailer wheel/axle/brake system.

Any suggestions???

Thank you for your always helping me out while restoring her.

Just when I thought I was finished........
VooDooLounge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 04:23 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Paradise , Texas
62 has a torsion axle.

Instead of spending several hundred dollars per axle on new backing plates, drums and bearings,

You are better off having the axle replaced with a modern variant. A new torsion axle will ride much better, giving your trailer longer life, and no more worries about failing wheel sections. A warranty is usually included.
Crackerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 04:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Electric brakes us an electromagnet that faces outward towards you as you are looking at it. It faces a machined surface on the inside of the drum. Apply the brakes, the current goes through the magnetic, the magnet grabs it the wheel and is displaced laterally which, through cam action, moves the brake shoes outboard, stopping the trailer...

So, it is totally normal to hear that electromagnet rubbing against the drum while you spin the wheel, especially If the trailer has sat awhile and there is a light coating of rust on that face...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 04:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Any trailer shop (horse, boat, general) can pull the wheels and look at it if you are still concerned. The technology is older than your trailer...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 04:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
I agree they just sound like they are rusted. Consider driving around the block at 15 or 20 mph (too slow won't remove the rust very well) applying the brakes 5 to 10 times then listen again. If there is no improvement, and there is no trailer shop close, consider taking one drum off or if you're not handy have a local tire and wheel shop at least take a look and tell you if anything serious is wrong. Make sure they are aware of the safe jacking locations.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 04:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
Each time I heard metal to metal screeching sounds from my Airstream hubs I've had a brake failure where a spring broke allowing the adjuster and/or brake shoes to roll around inside the drum. This happened once on my 2017 and once on my 2018. The first thing I would do is pull the screeching hubs to see what is going on.
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:16 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Ione , CA
Most mechanics can replace brake parts using automotive pieces. But guarantee if your 1962 Airstream has the original axles the only cushioning your trailer has while on the road will be flex in the tire sidewalls. You will find open cabinet drawers and rivets and trim pieces on the floor after trailering because of the rough ride.

Much better to replace the axles with new torsion ones and new brakes. 48 years is about time.

Our new Torqueflex axles came into our mechanic yesterday. Tomorrow morning I'm dropping of our 30' 1964 Airstream Sovereign to get the replacements installed.
Trowbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 11:40 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Venice , Florida
You are fortunate to live inside our Florida Suncoast Airstream Unit 129 boundaries. We have several people that could help you with any maintenance issues and or questions. Just type the above name to search.
harryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:29 AM   #9
62 Flying Cloud

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Lakewood Ranch , Florida
Thank you all for input and advice. New axle installed. New wheels. She is rolling along perfectly.
VooDooLounge is offline   Reply With Quote