Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Augusta , Georgia
Axle bent rubbing on undercarriage

So, this was the news when we took her in for brakes. We are getting pretty tight with all we have spent. If we don't replace the axle, give me an idea of what that will mean. Can we wait a bit on that and just replace the brakes and tires?
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/s/?...attd&safe=1&zw
Modern South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern South View Post
So, this was the news when we took her in for brakes. We are getting pretty tight with all we have spent. If we don't replace the axle, give me an idea of what that will mean. Can we wait a bit on that and just replace the brakes and tires?
The axle touching the underbelly happens because of the intial alignment. Not to worry.

Torsion axle rubber rods don't last 44 years. Their life is closer to abot 25 years or so.

The following will help you check out your axle.

The Dura-Torque Axle

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Who told you of this problem? The Airstream axle is bent to align it from the get go, so they are virtually all "bent" to begin with. It may not be a problem at all. You will need to replace the thing eventually though, they get pretty inflexible at that age.

Service people who do not know the Airstream axle may thing something is wrong with it when they look and see it "bent" but they don't know the unit and how it looks even when new.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Augusta , Georgia
A pic of problem

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/s/?...attd&safe=1&zw
Old 03-29-2013, 03:47 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Augusta , Georgia
So, we took it to the Augusta rv shop here in Augusta, Georgia. Boy, I sure hope you are right and this guy wrong. See what you think of the pic above. It may not help at all. I can't get more pics right now because the shop is closed and won't open again til Monday. My poor, poor Sylvie! We were really hoping to head out of town with her next weekend to escape Masters week!
Old 03-29-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I can't see the picture but I very very seriously doubt that you have a problem. It is almost impossible to bend an Airstream axle without tearing up the entire underside of the unit. I wish I could see the photo but again, doubt that there is any real problem at all.

Others here will confirm that the axles are bent at the factory when they are built so they align right. I had the one on my Argosy replaced a couple of years ago, and it was also bent when installed. It tracks perfectly.

Don't worry, take a trip...
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
They are bent upward in the center to provide proper camber.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Augusta , Georgia
Dancing in the kitchen!

So after reading your responses (and dancing around the kitchen yelling "wahoo!") I now have another question. Should I continue to let this guy work on the brakes and tires or try and find someone else. I dont think there are a lot of options in Augusta...
Old 03-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Get it out of there. There is nothing magic about the brakes, hubs or the tires. Work to replace all of them with new (if needed) would only be an hour or two at most. Got to a trailer shop that does horse trailers ...or any trailers for that matter....get some estimates. Most are cheaper than an RV place.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:38 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern South View Post
So after reading your responses (and dancing around the kitchen yelling "wahoo!") I now have another question. Should I continue to let this guy work on the brakes and tires or try and find someone else. I dont think there are a lot of options in Augusta...
The first question you should answer is, what is the condition of the axle rubber rods.

If the axle needs replacing, the new brakes that are far superior to the original brakes on your trailer, could be included, giving you all new suspension system with the latest of standards, such as self adjusting brakes.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote