Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-02-2017, 05:41 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Axle & Brake work in Phoenix Area?

Looking for a recommendation of a place to take our ‘79 Excella 500 for Brake and Axle work while we visit Phoenix area at the end of this month. Anyone have experience with shoppes in the area that could do the work?

I believe one, or possible both, of my axles is bent... extreme cupping on one of the tires (had to be replaced) and minor cupping on the rest. Tire place manager told me there are shoppes that could bend it back, though I’ve never heard of such a thing?

Also, brakes don’t seem to be as “strong” as they used to be, even with Brake controller on highest setting. Had the brakes themselves checked out and mechanically they are fine, but suspect there is not enough voltage being delivered to fully engage them.

Anyway, just looking to get a recommendation of a place in the Phoenix area that is both reasonably priced and has the expertise to do this kind of work.

Thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1617.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	262.2 KB
ID:	296055
trekerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Cherokee Trailer Repair, 70th St and Thomas in Scottsdale. 480-970-1332. Small private shop very knowledgeable.

I don't know about bending axles but he specializes in trailers of all kinds and can do brakes, bearings, couplers etc and has put new axel's on.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:18 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Cherokee Trailer Repair, 70th St and Thomas in Scottsdale. 480-970-1332. Small private shop very knowledgeable.

I don't know about bending axles but he specializes in trailers of all kinds and can do brakes, bearings, couplers etc and has put new axel's on.
Thanks so much for this recommendation! Mike and the guys at Cherokee were really knowledgable and resourceful! I wanted to have something done that wasn't in wheelhouse, so they tracked someone down who could do it and got them over there that day to work on it while the techs there were working on my brakes.

Will hopefully have my AS back today. Brakes were completely shot.
trekerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Trekerboy thank you for your feedback. Mike has been a super resource for us and our three vintage airstreams . He has been working with trailers since he was a mere child and his family owned a bunch of U-Haul dealerships. He is a very friendly and helpful guy.

So glad it was a good recommendation.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote